Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

CBI spread and tax deduction question

Twincougars

Lets say you buy a bunch of dinars for $X and when the RV comes, you unload them for a profit, which would be (assuming you reported it to the IRS) taxable as capital gains. However, embedded in that transaction is the CBI spread, which is, IMO, is an expense in doing the exchange of dinars to dollars, and therefore should be a deductible expense. What do you think?

• Upvote 1

Lets say you buy a bunch of dinars for $X and when the RV comes, you unload them for a profit, which would be (assuming you reported it to the IRS) taxable as capital gains. However, embedded in that transaction is the CBI spread, which is, IMO, is an expense in doing the exchange of dinars to dollars, and therefore should be a deductible expense. What do you think?

You may choose to not report an exchange, but be assured that the bank or dealer you exchange through will be filling out a federal report on the exchange that will go to the IRS. Don't report at your own peril.

• Upvote 1

You might want to take a look at this thread -

Especially execonsultant. I agree with him - I don't expect capital gains to be involved. I'm going to get with a good tax attorney at RV time, but I do feel it will be done as Regular Income.

As for reporting - cash transactions and deposits of more than $10,000 are required to be reported as "significant cash transactions" to the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), along with any other suspicious financial activity which is identified as "suspicious activity reports".' Bank employees are required to report this activity when they see it.