Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq, a Sovereign Nation

shaneelstar

Watching Fox News, and Hilary Clinton said, "Iraq is a SOVEREIGN NATION and capable of making it's own decisions". This was said approximately 15 mins ago during an interview.

So I also googled, and checked this site http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/states.htm, which says IRAQ IS A SOVEREIGN NATION and member of the UNITED NATIONS.

So what do y'all think?

For the bashers, I have better things to do, than make crap up....

• Upvote 4

Government:

The Iraqi Interim Government (IIG) assumed sovereign authority for governing Iraq on

28 June 2004.

My link

Sovereignty is the quality of having supreme, independent authority over a geographic area, such as a territory.[1] It can be found in a power to rule and make law that rests on a political fact for which no purely legal explanation can be provided. In theoretical terms, the idea of "sovereignty", historically, from Socrates to Thomas Hobbes, has always necessitated a moral imperative on the entity exercising it.

For centuries past, the idea that a state could be sovereign was always connected to its ability to guarantee the best interests of its own citizens. Thus, if a state could not act in the best interests of its own citizens, it could not be thought of as a “sovereign” state.[2]

The concept of sovereignty has been discussed, debated and questioned throughout history, from the time of the Romans through to the present day. It has changed in its definition, concept, and application throughout, especially during the Age of Enlightenment. The current notion of state sovereignty is often traced back to the Peace of Westphalia (1648), which, in relation to states, codified the basic principles:

My link

something to think about...thanks for the post

stay safe

Oz

Watching Fox News, and Hilary Clinton said, "Iraq is a SOVEREIGN NATION and capable of making it's own decisions". This was said approximately 15 mins ago during an interview.

So I also googled, and checked this site http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/states.htm, which says IRAQ IS A SOVEREIGN NATION and member of the UNITED NATIONS.

So what do y'all think?

Thanks...I assume this is very good news.

So what do y'all think?

There a numerous sources that state that Iraq regained their sovereignty in 2004 when governmental authority was handed over to the interim government. Below is a statement from

Here's an excerpt from one US Congressman referencing the sovereignty of Iraq:

Washington, Jul 6, 2004 - Today, Congressman Joe Wilson (R-S.C.) made the following remarks from the House Floor:

“Mr. Speaker, last week on June 28th, Iraq became a sovereign nation as control of was handed over from Coalition forces to a new Iraqi government, headed by Prime Minister Iyad Allawi and President Ghazi al-Yawer. Link

In regards to Iraq being a member of the UN, they have held that status since December 1945.

So I also googled, and checked this site http://www.nationson...orld/states.htm, which says IRAQ IS A SOVEREIGN NATION and member of the UNITED NATIONS.

So what do y'all think?

No, no, no - she said it was a sufferin' nation.

jk - thanks for the sharp eye/ear!

Peace Out

If its been a sovereign nation since 2004, then how come they are stating that it is now, like "finally, Iraq is a sovereign nation now!"

They have used the same statements in 2004, when the power of governing was handed over to the Iraqi's.

They used the statement in 2009, when US military personnel was moved out of most cities, they even named a holiday for it called National Sovereignty Day.

Is it any surprise that it would be stated again now that the US is stating full troop withdrawal by year end?