Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

"You Can't Dine Out on the Dinar (CNBC)"

Published: Thursday, 20 Oct 2011 | 10:44 AM ET Text Size By: Kelley Holland

Currency Blogger, CNBC.com

Readers keep sending in questions about the outlook for the Iraqi dinar. ( I like this reporters peaked interest?)

It's cloudy. Really cloudy.

For several weeks now, readers have been emailing to ask whether the Iraqi dinar [iQD=X 1167.00 --- UNCH (0) ] is a good investment.

I've written about this before, but I'll say it again: the Iraqi dinar is the subject of a variety of scams, and regulators and watchdogs are sounding alarms. The Connecticut Better Business Bureau warned investors to stay away in late September, and in early October came word that the state of Colorado ordered AmIraq Fund, L.P., to stop selling investments in Iraqi money. (AmIraq agreed to comply with the cease and desist order, but neither admitted nor denied wrongdoing.)

If someone has been telling you about the rosy prospects for the dinar, please, please, be careful. It's almost certainly too good a story to be true.

Tracking CurrenciesEUR=X1.3880.0106+0.77%GBP=X1.59490.0157+0.99%JPY=X76.15-0.68-0.88%CHF=X0.8839-0.0109-1.22%AUD=X1.03370.0111+1.09%

Tune In: CNBC's "Money in Motion Currency Trading" airs on Fridays at 5:30pm and repeats on Saturdays at 7pm.

Learn more: The essential vocabulary for currency trading is on Key Currency Terms. Top currency strategies are broken down for you in Currency Class.

Talk back: Tell us what you want to hear about - email us at moneyinmotion@cnbc.com.

© 2011 CNBC.com

http://www.cnbc.com/id/44974540/You_Can_t_Dine_Out_on_the_Dinar

Send back to them, soon you won't be able to dine out on the USD either...And anybody who thinks that this is advice on the investment is not educated about it....I'm not bashing the poster here. The IQD is an investment and any investment has risk, most of us here understand the risk with the IQD...But how can the upside potential be destroyed buy a claim you can't buy a meal with it today...Well if I were to sell my Dinars back I can buy enough meals for a year....Stay calm don't let the nay sayers get the best of you..Something will happen at some point and I doubt you will loose your money at worst..

Send back to them, soon you won't be able to dine out on the USD either...And anybody who thinks that this is advice on the investment is not educated about it....I'm not bashing the poster here. The IQD is an investment and any investment has risk, most of us here understand the risk with the IQD...But how can the upside potential be destroyed buy a claim you can't buy a meal with it today...Well if I were to sell my Dinars back I can buy enough meals for a year....Stay calm don't let the nay sayers get the best of you..Something will happen at some point and I doubt you will loose your money at worst..

To the "RV" crowd, the Dinar is more an emotional investment (like "Tulip Mania") than an economic one. People aren't buying because they've sat down and done the impossible maths - they're buying because others encourage them to "not miss out", who in turn are encouraged by others who say the same thing, all in a chain leading back to the pumpers who make their money not holding Dinar - but from getting rid of them!

• Upvote 1