Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Maliki confirms the seriousness of Iraq to end the UN file

trooper

Posted: October 17, 2011 Iraq: Chapter VII

Maliki confirms the United Nations Mission for the government’s adherence to an end to create a file group

Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, Sunday, the seriousness of the government to end a group to create the end of this year, calling on the United Nations to cooperate with Iraq in all areas, as pointed out the new Special Representative to the United Nations Mission to the situation in Iraq is going up to the ambition .

http://alrayy.com/33372.htm

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Posted: October 17, 2011 Iraq: Chapter VII

Maliki confirms the United Nations Mission for the government’s adherence to an end to create a file group

Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, Sunday, the seriousness of the government to end a group to create the end of this year, calling on the United Nations to cooperate with Iraq in all areas, as pointed out the new Special Representative to the United Nations Mission to the situation in Iraq is going up to the ambition .

http://alrayy.com/33372.htm

Looks like Iraq has a hired gun to help with this process. I think I read in a prior article about this person. Anyone recall, (from Germany?) This looks very promising.

Good call, Dana.

Also, as I see this, Maliki is putting himself out front on Chapter 7, and looks to be the hero when sanctions are lifted: Aren't I the best leader and Allawi was just in our way, I am your guy.

There has been a good deal of Chapter 7 news lately, and I think Maliki is stepping out in front of it as a pr move.

On the other side of the coin, great news. Any progressive news is great at this point. It seems the one-step-forward, two-steps-back scenario is almost a condition of the past.

Thank you for the post!

Edited by Carrello

Considering all U.S. Troops (with the exception of Embassy guards) will be gone by the end of the year, Maliki better get the sanctions lifted, unless he wants to defend his country with slingshots. IMO, if Chapter 7 sanctions are not lifted before our troops are gone, and a subsequent RV does not transpire by year end, then our investment faces some uncomfortable uncertainty.

• Upvote 1

Back in June when Iraq pleaded at the UN for them to lift chapter 7, I believe I remember something to the effect of, oh well, if you don't lift it now, it expires at the end of the year anyway.

Is this what this article is referring to?

I am not sure that there is an automatic expiration of Chapter 7?

Back in June when Iraq pleaded at the UN for them to lift chapter 7, I believe I remember something to the effect of, oh well, if you don't lift it now, it expires at the end of the year anyway.

Is this what this article is referring to?

Sanctions like this do not expire. They have been in effect, I believe, since 1990 as a consequence of Saddam's invasion,. There are conditions to sanctions that have to be met. When the conditions are met, the sanctions are lifted. Many criteria has been met, but there are issues with Kuwait that need to be resolved, and are being worked on, but are not complete. Until Kuwait and the UN are satisfied, Chapter 7 will not be lifted.

If you saw in Bond Lady's post last week, she analyzed a request made by Iraq at a UN meeting. It was stated that 65% of the reparations to Kuwait had been paid by Iraq, a number we did not know previously, and Iraq was requesting that the balance be waived. Big stuff.

The achival items and Kuwati bodies issues may be mute at this point due to time. Some bodies and some achives have been returned. The reparations were a huge part of last requirements for the lifting of Chapt 7. Iraq is required to pay 5% of their oil revenue annually to Kuwait for these reparations, all for what Saddam did.

It will be interesting to see how the UN handles the request to negate the 35% balance.