Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Herman Cain 999 Plan: Did It Come From SimCity?

Weapon X

WASHINGTON -- In Herman Cain's America, the tax code would be very, very simple: The corporate income tax rate would be 9 percent, the personal income tax rate would be 9 percent and the national sales tax rate would be 9 percent.

But there's already a 999 plan out there, in a land called SimCity.

Long before Cain was running for president and getting attention for his 999 plan, the residents of SimCity 4 -- which was released in 2003 -- were living under a system where the default tax rate was 9 percent for commercial taxes, 9 percent for industrial taxes and 9 percent for residential taxes. (That is, of course, if you didn't use the cheat codes to get unlimited money and avoid taxes altogether.)

A screenshot from the game's default settings:

simcitydefault-1.gif

There has been all sorts of speculation about where Cain came up with the idea for his catchy plan -- Unnamed economic advisers? A clever marketing promotion pulled from the pizza industry? -- but beyond a few hardcore gamers in the comments sections of blogs, few have looked to SimCity, the land where there's a "God mode."

Kip Katsarelis, a senior producer for Maxis, the company that created the SimCity series, was excited that politicians may be looking to video games for ideas.

"We encourage politicians to continue to look to innovative games like SimCity for inspiration for social and economic change," said Katsarelis. "While we at Maxis and Electronic Arts do not endorse any political candidates or their platforms, it's interesting to see GOP candidate Herman Cain propose a simplified tax system like one we designed for the video game SimCity 4."

Adopting such a simple tax structure, Katsarelis said, would allow fantasy political leaders to focus their energy on infrastructure and national security. "Our game design team thought that an easy to understand taxation system would allow players to focus on building their cities and have fun thwarting giant lizard attacks, rather than be buried by overly complex financial systems."

When asked about similarities between Cain's plan and SimCity's default tax rates, Cain campaign spokesman JD Gordon replied, "Well, we all like 9-9-9."

Rich Lowrie, the Ohio Wells Fargo employee who is the brains behind Cain's plan, did not return a request for comment regarding whether he is a fan of SimCity and looked to the game for inspiration.

A receptionist at Lowrie's Wells Fargo office said she doubted his idea came from SimCity. "Probably not," she told The Huffington Post. "I don't think he's much of a game person."

Presumably, under the Cain plan, disasters would be turned off.

Ryan Grim contributed reporting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/13/herman-cain-999-sim-city_n_1008952.html

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Come on now a negative for the truth, it hurts yes but reality is if it doesn't work in the video game it doesn't work in real life either, and most things in video games can be manipulated to suit the wants of the gamer unlike things in reality...negative that shot of reality and we will understand why you like the hype and hot air of a catch phrase tax plan that is a flop in it's details!!

We need a simple tax system. The 999 plan might not be the answer, but the Tax Code is rediculous.

Thanks for leveling me out!! Your right we need simple and 999 is not the answer neither is Herman Cain, what is would be throwing out the tax code in existence and starting all over due to the many many loop holes and over rides written in the code it makes reform impossible cause you would waste many hours of many people with no progress it would end up being thrown away in the end so start that way throw it out and start from scratch with simple principles I was always thinking before 999 was shot at us that we needed something like 3-3-3 with no breaks you give to give and should not expect something in return otherwise it's not really giving, that would be much fairer and would actually benefit people!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

A receptionist at Lowrie's Wells Fargo office said she doubted his idea came from SimCity. "Probably not," she told The Huffington Post. "I don't think he's much of a game person."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/13/herman-cain-999-sim-city_n_1008952.html

I do not consider the huffington post a news agency. They are a liberal bashing outlet. That is all they are.

It is amazing that "a receptionist at Well's Fargo's" opinion actually rates as news with them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

A good idea is a good idea, no matter where it comes from. Ever stood behind a woman in a fur coat and bling, talking on her cell phone in the grocery line, and paying with a food stamp debit card?

What do you think this person pays in income tax? They get as many votes as you do on election day! A 9% sales tax (not on food, medicine or clothing) would at least force the 49% of the U.S. population to get some "skin in the game" on their plasma TV's and Escalades. Of course, 9% on income would encourage people to actually work, because it would be easier to make more money than an unemployment check. 9% capital gains would bring businesses back into the country (with JOBS!), as well as bring money (capital) back into the markets for new business.

I know, as a dinar holder, I could live with a 9% capital gains tax......

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

A good idea is a good idea, no matter where it comes from. Ever stood behind a woman in a fur coat and bling, talking on her cell phone in the grocery line, and paying with a food stamp debit card?

What do you think this person pays in income tax? They get as many votes as you do on election day! A 9% sales tax (not on food, medicine or clothing) would at least force the 49% of the U.S. population to get some "skin in the game" on their plasma TV's and Escalades. Of course, 9% on income would encourage people to actually work, because it would be easier to make more money than an unemployment check. 9% capital gains would bring businesses back into the country (with JOBS!), as well as bring money (capital) back into the markets for new business.

I know, as a dinar holder, I could live with a 9% capital gains tax......

it's not 9% capital gains tax....it is however 9% corporate tax which taxes your pay check before you ever see it because your boss takes it out of your salary before he offers it too you so you in fact could make that 9% more in your pay. This 9-9-9 plan would be fine if it were 3-3-3 but 9 is way too high it guarantees that you would pay 27% in taxes every week you worked not including Social Security and Medicare withholding.

I'm not trying to be mean but, this tax plan is only conducive with a low number like 3...but then the government wouldn't be able to be so big with that number so they would have less power and less to spend which would be another win for us if they used a low number!! This plan is a gimmick for votes do not fall for it...research Ron Paul and you will see the only man who is not trying to pull the wool over our eyes in this GOP race!!

• Upvote 1

Anyone who's been on the board of the Federal Reserve is not for a free American economy and is in on the agenda!

This is major new news to me, I WAS kinda liking him. Big disappointment!

I have to agree Moto144, I was very disappointed to learn this about Herman Cain. I was starting to like him also.

Serving on the Board of Governors for the Fed. should be front page news, in my opinion. But, sadly, few Americans understand the ramifications of this.