Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Just Talked To My Buddy Back From Iraq (Chbcampb post don't promote other sites)

trooper

Just Talked To My Buddy Back From Iraq (Chbcampb post don't promote other sites): Dinar Recaps 10/13/11

October 13th, 2011 09:11 am

my buddy is back for a short while from iraq. he is in the army, stationed just outside of baghdad and inside the green zone. he was filling me in on all kinds of interesting stories from his 2+ years over there.

he confirmed a lot of things we already know. he said all troops are required to be completely out of iraq by december 27 of this year. he had major reservations on this, saying iraq is NOWHERE near ready for this… but they are ordered to withdraw. he is going back next month just to tear down his base and what they built while there.

of course i had to ask him about the dinar. i asked him if he had any. his response was “over there i do.” he explained that he’s not allowed to take a single dinar out of iraq. i asked him why he thought that was, and he said without a doubt, they’re afraid the soldiers will become wealthy by being invested in their currency. i asked him if he’s allowed to buy dinar, and he said they are not… can’t even buy any from a currency dealer while in the states. he said he can exchange USD for dinar while over there, but it stays in iraq. he is not allowed to take any out of country. thought this was interesting. their border control is insane, and they look for many things leaving and entering the country. dinar is specifically one of them.

nothing major… just thought i’d pass it along.

• Upvote 10

Thanks for the post trooper....interesting indeed!

It seems a shame that US troops are not allowed to profit on the dinar at all. Seems to me that there would be some kind of a loophole to get around that?

Or it could be that they were able to purchase years ago & being so close to the rv, more restrictions.

It's unfortunate he hadn't purchased dinar long ago.

As far as the troops pulling out Dec. 27th. I have stated this before & I will state it again. If we don't see the rv before the majority of the troops start to pull out, I can't see the rv being close at that point.

Thanks for the post!

• Upvote 1

That is a shame that he can't get some home. After what they have been through over there, they should at least be able to invest in what they have had to suffer through. Tell your friend we are proud of him and thank him for all of us.

Why doesn't your buddy and his friends buy from a dealer outside of Iraq if they are not allowed to purchase any while being stationed there? there is more than one way to buy dinar. I still can't see a total pullout, however, either Iraq feels confident in their military, or they are ready to put their trust somewhere else? IMO :o

That is a shame that he can't get some home. After what they have been through over there, they should at least be able to invest in what they have had to suffer through. Tell your friend we are proud of him and thank him for all of us.

its a volunteer army, and they are paid well. everyone is all proud of these guys who have served over there and they suffer through, bull sh**t.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

I was a contractor in Iraq for years. Served 20 years in the Army.

They have had this ban on taking Dinar out of the country BUT somehow it is done.

Tape them to your body & walk out. Mail them home in birthday cards (a few bills in each letter) or simply buy them for any money exchange in Kuwait.

• Upvote 2

When I left Iraq in 2010 I just carried them out in my laptop bag. No big deal. And when I bought them though the Army Finance Office they never said a word about no taking them out of Iraq.

Is this some new policy? And not allowing soldiers to buy them after they leave Iraq? How can they be stopped? If you can buy them in the States what's to stop the GI's from doing the same thing? That makes no sense at all to me.

• Upvote 4

of course i had to ask him about the dinar. i asked him if he had any. his response was “over there i do.” he explained that he’s not allowed to take a single dinar out of iraq. i asked him why he thought that was, and he said without a doubt, they’re afraid the soldiers will become wealthy by being invested in their currency.

That is what he thinks is the case, and maybe so. But maybe they are just trying to keep a lid on speculators.

i asked him if he’s allowed to buy dinar, and he said they are not… can’t even buy any from a currency dealer while in the states.

I find this pretty surprising. What authority does the army have to tell a soldier what they can and can not buy while on their own time with their own money while in the US and not on duty? I'm certainly not remotely an expert on the military, but I find it hard to believe this would be legal.

When I left Iraq in 2010 I just carried them out in my laptop bag. No big deal. And when I bought them though the Army Finance Office they never said a word about no taking them out of Iraq.

Is this some new policy? And not allowing soldiers to buy them after they leave Iraq? How can they be stopped? If you can buy them in the States what's to stop the GI's from doing the same thing? That makes no sense at all to me.

Perhaps they are pulling in the reigns a bit tighter now.

What you are referring to is the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA), between the USG and the GOI. It basically lays out rules and responsibilities for both countries while we are there 'assisting' them. Article 20 basically says what you said, that soldiers, DOD civilians, and contractors are not (by the SOFA) allowed to export Iraqi currency. My experience (up until May when I came home) was that the only people enforcing that were the folks at the post office in country, where they would not allow you to send dinar home. How commanders enforce this aspect of the agreement is arguably varied throughout Iraq.

That having been said, Army finance will gladly sell you US$1000 worth of dinar each month. What you do with it after that is up to you, but the express purpose of having it available is for use in country.

One of the big debates I've come across WRT the SOFA is the definition of 'export.' Some feel that if they are not turning around and selling the currency as a business they aren't really exporting it. If they purchase the currency as a collectors item (albeit a LOT of it), and keep it for their own pleasure/use/gain, does it qualify as an exported item?

I just know that despite the SOFA, and Article 20, a TON of IQD that has been obtained by folks subject to the SOFA has made it back to the states.

YMMV.

gbosh

Ealier Version (2008-2009) SOFA

Article 20

Currency and foreign exchange

1. The United States Forces shall have the right to use any amount of cash in United

States currency or financial instruments with a designated value in United States currency

exclusively for the purposes of this Agreement. Use of Iraqi currency and special banks

by the United States Forces shall be in accordance with Iraqi laws.

2. The United States Forces may not export Iraqi currency from Iraq, and shall take

measures to ensure that members of the United States Forces, of the civilian component,

and United States contractors and United States contractor employees do not export Iraqi

currency from Iraq.

• Upvote 1

My nephew just came back a few months ago. He said the same thing about troops leaving. He also had some intresing stories.

He doesn't belive the dinar will RV. He as been in for 8 years as an officer. He said it was a mess and if he had to go back he would

get out. What he told me how the treat our guys we need to leave.

If this thing ever RV we all need to find several vets and do something really special for them.

Because if it was't for them we would not be able to benefit from this. I am a vet from the 70's and I know It would have been nice to have someone do something

for me for my service,but times were diffrent back then.

• Upvote 1

its a volunteer army, and they are paid well. everyone is all proud of these guys who have served over there and they suffer through, bull sh**t.

Sorry, but no they are not paid well.

Yes, they volunteered, but they (enlinsted) do not make what they certainly deserve.

For example, when I was in, base pay for a CSM with 30 years, made less than an O-3 with 12 years of service.

But like them, I did not do it for the pay.

We did it for our country, our family, and our fellow soldier.

• Upvote 6

That is what he thinks is the case, and maybe so. But maybe they are just trying to keep a lid on speculators.

I find this pretty surprising. What authority does the army have to tell a soldier what they can and can not buy while on their own time with their own money while in the US and not on duty? I'm certainly not remotely an expert on the military, but I find it hard to believe this would be legal.

You haven't been around the military much, my ex was in the Army for his 3 years and from what I remember, you are never off duty. Anything you do and say is a reflectiion on the military and you are judged harshly if you screw up. You have to remember, these guys don't have 9-6 jobs they can be called in at any time, whether on leave or dismissed for the day. They are not an employee they are the military. God bless them all.

• Upvote 2

You haven't been around the military much, my ex was in the Army for his 3 years and from what I remember, you are never off duty. Anything you do and say is a reflectiion on the military and you are judged harshly if you screw up. You have to remember, these guys don't have 9-6 jobs they can be called in at any time, whether on leave or dismissed for the day. They are not an employee they are the military. God bless them all.

Yes your actions reflect on the military, I get that. But I still question the legality of making a private purchase when not involving the military in any way. Clearly they can not force you to sell dinars you hold when you join up, so I find it unlikely that legally they can stop you from buying it, as long as you do not have it delivered to a military facility etc. I could be wrong of course. And of course, thank you to all who serve or have served.
  • Downvote 1

I was a contractor in Iraq for years. Served 20 years in the Army.

They have had this ban on taking Dinar out of the country BUT somehow it is done.

Tape them to your body & walk out. Mail them home in birthday cards (a few bills in each letter) or simply buy them for any money exchange in Kuwait.

Several months ago this the topic was brought up about it being illegal to own Dinar. I was then and still am boots on the ground so I said then it was illegal to take Dinar out of Iraq. We were briefed before going to the airport not to smuggle any out and we were briefed the post office would not let you mail it. So I said it was illegal to own. Iraq doesn't want their currency to leave to country. People said "Well the Prsident made it leagal" Which I tried to explain by saying "What does the U.S. President have to do with policy in Iraq" NADA! Some *********** even went as far as to say I was misinformed. This post is not the first since then saying the same thing. You can't take money out of Iraq legally. With all the currency smuggled out of Iraq, I wouldn't be surprised if Iraq did an in country RV. JMO

Paid Well? What planet are you from Jonald? If anyone deserves to make a pile of $$$$ from this Godforsaken armpit of the world it's our troops.

Jusy sayin. :)

Edited by Hot in AZ
  • Upvote 1

Several months ago this the topic was brought up about it being illegal to own Dinar. I was then and still am boots on the ground so I said then it was illegal to take Dinar out of Iraq. We were briefed before going to the airport not to smuggle any out and we were briefed the post office would not let you mail it. So I said it was illegal to own. Iraq doesn't want their currency to leave to country. People said "Well the Prsident made it leagal" Which I tried to explain by saying "What does the U.S. President have to do with policy in Iraq" NADA! Some *********** even went as far as to say I was misinformed. This post is not the first since then saying the same thing. You can't take money out of Iraq legally. With all the currency smuggled out of Iraq, I wouldn't be surprised if Iraq did an in country RV. JMO

Fireman,

You are correct. By the agreement between our country and Iraq, it is in violation of the SOFA to export Iraqi currency by any US (coalition?) service member, contractor, or DOD civilian serving/working in Iraq. I think the challenge comes in defining and enforcing 'legality' across multiple countries, continents, jurisdictions, enforcement agencies, etc.

Opinions about what is legal, what is questionable, what is ethical, and what is honest are about as numerous as the number of Dinar it takes to buy a '66 Corvette. I don't think you were wrong to say it is/was illegal. Sometimes it's just easy to get into an argument trying to nail down exactly WHY and in what context.

I share your opinion that an in country RV is a possibility to thwart the obviously substantial export of Dinar. I do, however, hope we are wrong on that accord.

Thank you for your continued service. Keep your head down, hurry home.

gbosh

• Upvote 1

That would really be a bummer. But they can do what they want. I think we will see an RV and soon, actually hoping, so I don't have a link. LOL. imho :bow: