Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Big Muskie caught in Wisconsin

RodandStaff

My sister in law caught this whopper of a Muskie a couple of weeks or so ago in central Wisconsin, and I was wanting to share it with Zigsquote.. but any of you fishermen and outdoors type may appreciate it too!

38 lbs. and 51 inches long... yeah, she now has the bragging rights in the family!dry.gif

Gonna have to RV soon so we can go chasing some big fish! wink.gif

GO RV Already Baby!!!cool.gif

post-33230-131530835208_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

It's known has a Pike in the UK and I've caught a few upper 20's in my time but 38lb would certainly be a PB.My only concern is why did you have to kill it.I only practice catch and release with any species of fish I may be lucky enough to catch.sad.gif

I would assume to mount it. It's a fish, there are more.

• Upvote 2

It's known has a Pike in the UK and I've caught a few upper 20's in my time but 38lb would certainly be a PB.My only concern is why did you have to kill it.I only practice catch and release with any species of fish I may be lucky enough to catch.sad.gif

Fish could have been hurt to bad to release!! Don't know but it is possible!!

Maybe their feeding their family for the week and sent the brother a picture letting them know they were ok for a bit. just irritates me, this was the first topic I went to this morning in hope of some happiness and was posted to provide some I believe . guess its just par for the course, THERES A LOPSTER FOR ANY TOPIC!

• Upvote 1

It was my sister-in-laws fish, and for my in-laws fish is part of their diet. It is going to be mounted, but all the meat will be enjoyed by all the family (except us, we are out of state now)... it's a cultural thing. Would you be referring to a "Northern Pike"?... in Wisconsin that is the main species, though smaller in size, they can get to be in the 20 lb. class. The Muskie is in a class of it's own... the world record is 69 lbs. officially, 70 lbs. unofficially! Both of those were also caught in Wisconsin.

I would assume to mount it. It's a fish, there are more.

... exactly! Thank you sir... nuff said! wink.gif

I haven't asked her that question specifically, but I do know large fish like this take a lot to get them in... so often they are too worn out to safely release them... this one was by far her personal best, and most likely the catch of her lifetime... yes, controversial to some, but in that neck of the woods.... mounting a trophy fish is pretty standard procedure!

• Upvote 1

That's what they said about the Dodo!

And as you can see there are still plenty of dodos around everywhere I go

In fact I ran into one at the airport yesterday.biggrin.gif

i agree with you bumper. After feeding the family i suspect the fish was hurt too bad to releasebiggrin.gif

I don't kill anything unless I eat it, it is poisonous, it threatens my family, or I mount it on the wall.

fish are my scuba diving friends. I love to spear them with the handy dandy spear gun and eat them. If they want to breed after that it is completely up to them.biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

• Upvote 4

i agree with you bumper. After feeding the family i suspect the fish was hurt too bad to releasebiggrin.gif

I don't kill anything unless I eat it, it is poisonous, it threatens my family, or I mount it on the wall.

fish are my scuba diving friends. I love to spear them with the handy dandy spear gun and eat them. If they want to breed after that it is completely up to them.biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Well said... and I am sure at 38 lbs. that fish had many good years of breeding behind it, and will now put a smile on many mouths when consumed!biggrin.gif

• Upvote 1

fish are my scuba diving friends. I love to spear them with the handy dandy spear gun and eat them. If they want to breed after that it is completely up to them.biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

laugh.giflaugh.gif ditto!! The fish and deer heads that I have on the wall were way to hurt to release!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

BTW: Most ALL the deer meat (After I kept what I wanted) was donated to "Hunters feeding the hungry" and also given to local churches in the area to be given out to people in need!! Don't want to get the PETA people started!! laugh.gif

• Upvote 2

Hey RodandStaff..... WOW.... That's a trophy for sure.

Glad you put it on the site to share it with everyone.

Incidentally... Those two 69 Lb records you spoke of weren't

both caught in Wisconsin. One was caught in the

St. Lawrence River in New York State. Supposedly

another one weighing 77 Lbs was caught and released

without registering it a couple years ago in the same river.

Those of you concerned about the fish being kept, don't

be overly concerned. The Muskie is known as the fish

of 10,000 casts. They are plentiful but not easy to catch

so they're not in danger of becoming extinct.

Almost all are caught and released but everyone is entitled

to one trophy mount on the wall. They, and the Northern

Pike are not that good for eating anyway. They're full of

small bones known as "Y" bones that are impossible to

remove when cleaning and fileting the fish.

Thanks again RodandStaff for the post and the pic.

Remember after the RV we're meeting up there in Wisconsin

to hunt for a trophy also. The best Muskie fishing is

in the Fall so let's hope. wink.gif

• Upvote 1

biggrin.gif

grand pubah.... I think your sense of humor is being missed, but I love it.

Well time to go back to work... speaking of DoDos, there's a few there.laugh.gif

• Upvote 2

Not to disagree with ya's Zig, but there are two "large" Muskies hanging on the wall in bars in Hayward, WI.... home to the National Fishing Hall of Fame (the 10 story fish museum if any of you have ever seen that). Link: ( http://www.freshwater-fishing.org/index.php ) One is "official"... it's 69 lbs. and change, the other "unofficial" one is calculated to weigh 70 lbs. and change. You may not be able to pull up the 70 lb. fish in any search engines... I don't know... I have just seen it with my own eyes is all I can say. I didn't know about the one's in New York State.

Of note... if we are gonna tell some fish storiesrolleyes.gif, fish experts don't really know the "size limit".. how big something can really get. New records keep showing up all over the world. I have heard of the WI. DNR (Department of Natural Resource's) claim to have shocked a Muskie in a river near Chippewa Falls, WI....now remember, there were a boat full of professional game wardens.. who claimed the Muskies that they measured and released... was all of 6 ft. long, and weighed an estimated 100 lbs.... sorry, no link to that one, but I hear you can cash that one in at the bank on Monday! wink.gif (oh no... does that make me a fish guru? ohmy.gif). Point being... there are still trophies out there... but like you said Zig... you nearly have to have your shoulder socket replaced after a few years of Muskie fishing from throwing that big old bait thousands and thousands of times! Ya can always keep dreaming bout em though! biggrin.gif

Rest assured folks... this was her one and only "Trophy"... don't spoil it for her!emot-shakehead.gif

I will say Pike aren't bad if caught through the ice, much better tasting! Well, we will have to hook up with some fishing hot spots to try our luck! Come on RV... the fish are waitin!!! emot-woot.gif

GO RV Already Baby!!!cool.gif

laugh.giflaugh.gif ditto!! The fish and deer heads that I have on the wall were way to hurt to release!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

BTW: Most ALL the deer meat (After I kept what I wanted) was donated to "Hunters feeding the hungry" and also given to local churches in the area to be given out to people in need!! Don't want to get the PETA people started!! laugh.gif

From pp's dictionary: PETA= People Eating Tasty Animals :D

pp

• Upvote 2

Nice Muskie. We catch them in the Kawartha Lakes and the Rideau River. They get very big here too. A friend of mine is an underwater welder and has seen 6 foot long muskie's in the St. Lawrence River near Cornwall ON (right across from Massena NY). They curiously come around the divers when they're welding on big piers and docks. Amazing fish! B)

By the way, that guy from the UK. A Pike and Muskie are two completely different fish and both taste really good except they're really bony. I usually go bass fishing for fun and throw most of them back. Good practice. We have so many lakes and rivers full of fish, there's no shortage that we have to worry about keeping some to eat. :)

• Upvote 1

I was camping up north in Wisconsin many years ago as a young man.

I was sitting on the shore of a well known Muskie lake. There was a long

log from a fallen tree that extended 20 feet or so out into the lake. I noticed

a squirrel sitting out at the far end of the log munching on an acorn. All of a

sudden a huge muskie came up out of the water and grabbed the squirrel

and disappeared back into the water. I couldn't believe my eyes... I just sat

there in wonder staring at the log not believing what I had witnessed. A couple

minutes past and then something even more unbelievable happened. That

muskie came up and put another acorn on the log and then sank quietly back

into the water.

Edited by ZigsQuote
  • Upvote 2

Hy can i go to

• Upvote 1

I was camping up north in Wisconsin many years ago as a young man.

I was sitting on the shore of a well known Muskie lake. There was a long

log from a fallen tree that extended 20 feet or so out into the lake. I noticed

a squirrel sitting out at the far end of the log munching on an acorn. All of a

sudden a huge muskie came up out of the water and grabbed the squirrel

and disappeared back into the water. I couldn't believe my eyes... I just sat

there in wonder staring at the log not believing what I had witnessed. A couple

minutes past and then something even more unbelievable happened. That

muskie came up and put another acorn on the log and then sank quietly back

into the water.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif ROFLMAO!!! My wife is joining me on the floor!unsure.gif Opps... did I just say that? blink.gif They will be eating the "nice catch" for my wife's dad's 80th B-day party in two weeks!