Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Dog Keeps Watch Over Fallen SEAL’s Casket During Funeral

Heart-Wrenching Image: Dog Keeps Watch Over Fallen SEAL’s Casket During Funeral

Posted on August 23, 2011 at 1:25pm

by Christopher Santarelli Print »Email »

Comments (368)

Petty Officer Jon T. Tumilson was laid to rest Friday in Rockford, Iowa, where an estimated 1,500 mourners came to pay respects for the fallen Navy SEAL, including his dog Hawkeye. In fact, Hakeye’s loyalty to his owner at the funeral was visible, creating a heart-wrenching image as he laid down by the casket of his owner during the entire service:

(Photo credit: Lisa Pembleton)

KIMT-TV captured the scene on video:

The 35-year-old Tumilson died Aug. 6, when a rocket-propelled grenade disabled the helicopter he was in. It crashed, killing 30 Americans and eight Afghans. He was posthumously awarded the Purple Heart and Defense Meritorious Service Medal.

“‘Hawkeye is/was his loyal ‘son’,” wrote Tumilson’s cousin Lisa Pembleton in an email to The Blaze. ”To say that he was an amazing man doesn’t do him justice. The loss of Jon to his family, military family and friends is immeasurable.”

Fellow Navy SEALS told KIMT-TV that Jon was someone with unmatched work ethic and character.

Last week hundreds of people were out at the airport to welcome the plane that returned his remains home, video from Northern Iowa Today:

Perry Beeman of the Des Moines Register writes that Tumilson wrote a class paper when he was 15 about how he wanted to spend the next 20 years as a Navy SEAL:

“‘J.T. was going to be a Navy SEAL come hell or high water,’ friend Scott Nichols said of Tumilson, who was born in Osage on July 1, 1976, the nation’s bicentennial year, and grew up in Rockford.

Outside the service at the Rudd-Rockford-Marble Rock gym, two cranes hoisted a huge U.S. flag in Tumilson’s honor.

‘If J.T. had known he was going to be shot down when going to the aid of others, he would have went anyway,’ said Boe Nankivel, another friend.

Tumilson leaves behind parents George and Kathleen, sisters Joy and Kristie, many nieces, nephews and cousins, and of course, Hawkeye.

A relative of Tumilson wrote to the Blaze that in lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Frogman238 Memorial Fund, First Security Bank and Trust, 201 West Main Ave., Rockford, Iowa 50468, (641)756-3361, to honor Tumilson’s memory.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/heart-wrenching-image-dog-keeps-watch-over-fallen-seals-casket-during-funeral/

• Upvote 5

man this is just sad.... RIP to this fallen soldier. I might add dogs might not have reason like human beings do but they have strong emotions and they can love and definitely know loyalty i love dogs because they arent selfish and you can tell they love the person that takes care of them.

Edited by easyrider

Heart-Wrenching Image: Dog Keeps Watch Over Fallen SEAL’s Casket During Funeral

Posted on August 23, 2011 at 1:25pm

by Christopher Santarelli Print »Email »

Comments (368)

Petty Officer Jon T. Tumilson was laid to rest Friday in Rockford, Iowa, where an estimated 1,500 mourners came to pay respects for the fallen Navy SEAL, including his dog Hawkeye. In fact, Hakeye’s loyalty to his owner at the funeral was visible, creating a heart-wrenching image as he laid down by the casket of his owner during the entire service:

(Photo credit: Lisa Pembleton)

KIMT-TV captured the scene on video:

As I wipe the tears from my eyes from watching the news video, my heart still swells with pride for the men and women who so unselfishly give of themselves for the freedom of all of us. May God bless and keep his family, my prayers for them.

The 35-year-old Tumilson died Aug. 6, when a rocket-propelled grenade disabled the helicopter he was in. It crashed, killing 30 Americans and eight Afghans. He was posthumously awarded the Purple Heart and Defense Meritorious Service Medal.

“‘Hawkeye is/was his loyal ‘son’,” wrote Tumilson’s cousin Lisa Pembleton in an email to The Blaze. ”To say that he was an amazing man doesn’t do him justice. The loss of Jon to his family, military family and friends is immeasurable.”

Fellow Navy SEALS told KIMT-TV that Jon was someone with unmatched work ethic and character.

Last week hundreds of people were out at the airport to welcome the plane that returned his remains home, video from Northern Iowa Today:

Perry Beeman of the Des Moines Register writes that Tumilson wrote a class paper when he was 15 about how he wanted to spend the next 20 years as a Navy SEAL:

“‘J.T. was going to be a Navy SEAL come hell or high water,’ friend Scott Nichols said of Tumilson, who was born in Osage on July 1, 1976, the nation’s bicentennial year, and grew up in Rockford.

Outside the service at the Rudd-Rockford-Marble Rock gym, two cranes hoisted a huge U.S. flag in Tumilson’s honor.

‘If J.T. had known he was going to be shot down when going to the aid of others, he would have went anyway,’ said Boe Nankivel, another friend.

Tumilson leaves behind parents George and Kathleen, sisters Joy and Kristie, many nieces, nephews and cousins, and of course, Hawkeye.

A relative of Tumilson wrote to the Blaze that in lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Frogman238 Memorial Fund, First Security Bank and Trust, 201 West Main Ave., Rockford, Iowa 50468, (641)756-3361, to honor Tumilson’s memory.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/heart-wrenching-image-dog-keeps-watch-over-fallen-seals-casket-during-funeral/

• Downvote 1

As the poet says, "They also serve who only stand and wait," and this wonderful animal grieves his special loss, as do all of us, whether we knew this fine man or not. He was one of the finest among us, and he served his country well. His family, friends, beloved dog/friend, and our country will miss him. May God smile on his soul.

I'm a big dog fan myself.

I have hounds that I use to hunt mountain lions with and I can say that those dogs will do anything to get between you and the lion .

I've been so close to the lions ( we had them corned on the edge of a cliff ) that I was nervous to snap a lead chain on my dogs collar because of worrying about getting swatted by the cat on the hand .

Loyalty is so true . My wife divorced me on the 12th of July . ( cheating on me ) My opinion is if you want real loyalty get a dog , don't get married !

I'm a big dog fan myself.

I have hounds that I use to hunt mountain lions with and I can say that those dogs will do anything to get between you and the lion .

I've been so close to the lions ( we had them corned on the edge of a cliff ) that I was nervous to snap a lead chain on my dogs collar because of worrying about getting swatted by the cat on the hand .

Loyalty is so true . My wife divorced me on the 12th of July . ( cheating on me ) My opinion is if you want real loyalty get a dog , don't get married !

• Upvote 1