Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Onions!!! Very interesting!!!!

delta22

Very Important Subject....especially for those who love to cook and eat ONIONS!!!!!!

ONION

In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu.

Many of the farmers and their family had contracted it and many died.

The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser in AZ. She said that several years ago many of her employees were coming down with the flu and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work.. (And no, she is not in the onion business.)

The moral of the story is, buy some onions and place them in bowls around your home. If you work at a desk, place one or two in your office or under your desk or even on top somewhere. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

If this helps you and your loved ones from getting sick, all the better. If you do get the flu, it just might be a mild case..

Whatever, what have you to lose? Just a few bucks on onions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now there is a P. S. to this for I sent it to a friend in Oregon who regularly contributes material to me on health issues. She replied with this most interesting experience about onions:

Weldon,thanks for the reminder. I don't know about the farmers story...but, I do know that I contacted pneumonia and needless to say I was very ill...I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put one end on a fork and then place the forked end into an empty jar...placing the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the

morning from the germs...sure enough it happened just like that...the onion was a mess and I began to feel better.

Another thing I read in the article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

This is the other note.

LEFT OVER ONIONS ARE POISONOUS

I have used an onion which has been left in the fridge, and sometimes I

don't use a whole one at one time, so save the other half for later.

Now with this info, I have changed my mind....will buy smaller onions in

the future.

I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, Makers of

mayonnaise. Mullins is huge, and is owned by 11 brothers and sisters in

the Mullins family. My friend, Jeanne, is the CEO.

Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I

learned from a chemist.

The guy who gave us our tour is named Ed. He's one of the brothers Ed is a chemistry expert and is involved in developing most of the sauce formula. He's even developed sauce formula for McDonald's.

Keep in mind that Ed is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone

asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always

worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you. Ed said

that all commercially- made Mayo is completely safe.

"It doesn't even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but

it's not really necessary." He explained that the pH in mayonnaise is set

at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment. He then

talked about the quaint essential picnic, with the bowl of potato salad

sitting on the table and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.

Ed says that when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials

look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade Mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the

onions, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES.

He explained, onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked

onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion.. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your

refrigerator.

It's already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit,

that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you

put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!)

Ed says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you'll

probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put on your

sandwich, you're asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist potato

in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster than any

commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.

So, how's that for news? Take it for what you will. I (the author) am going to be very careful about my onions from now on. For some reason, I see a lot of credibility coming from a chemist and a company that produces millions of pounds of mayonnaise every year.'

Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions .Please remember it is dangerous to cut onions and try to use it to cook the next day ,it becomes highly poisonous for even a single night and creates Toxic bacteria which may cause Adverse Stomach infections because of excess Bile secretions and even Food poisoning.

Please pass it on to all you love and care.

• Upvote 9

Delta,

As always... thanks for the article! I tried the onion when my son was coughing and it helped him. The onion didn't turn black but it surely worked. I cook with a lot of garlic and onion...that's probably why we don't get flu easily.

Very Important Subject....especially for those who love to cook and eat ONIONS!!!!!!

ONION

In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu.

The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser in AZ. She said that several years ago many of her employees were coming down with the flu and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work.. (And no, she is not in the onion business.)

The moral of the story is, buy some onions and place them in bowls around your home. If you work at a desk, place one or two in your office or under your desk or even on top somewhere. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

If this helps you and your loved ones from getting sick, all the better. If you do get the flu, it just might be a mild case..

Now there is a P. S. to this for I sent it to a friend in Oregon who regularly contributes material to me on health issues. She replied with this most interesting experience about onions:

Weldon,thanks for the reminder. I don't know about the farmers story...but, I do know that I contacted pneumonia and needless to say I was very ill...I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put one end on a fork and then place the forked end into an empty jar...placing the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the

morning from the germs...sure enough it happened just like that...the onion was a mess and I began to feel better.

Another thing I read in the article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

This is the other note.

the future.

learned from a chemist.

The guy who gave us our tour is named Ed. He's one of the brothers Ed is a chemistry expert and is involved in developing most of the sauce formula. He's even developed sauce formula for McDonald's.

sitting on the table and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.

look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade Mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the

onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion.. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your

refrigerator.

So, how's that for news? Take it for what you will. I (the author) am going to be very careful about my onions from now on. For some reason, I see a lot of credibility coming from a chemist and a company that produces millions of pounds of mayonnaise every year.'

Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions .Please remember it is dangerous to cut onions and try to use it to cook the next day ,it becomes highly poisonous for even a single night and creates Toxic bacteria which may cause Adverse Stomach infections because of excess Bile secretions and even Food poisoning.

Utter BS, Delta22 you recieved this "crud" in an e-mail, this isn't you expierence at all!

You just blindly passed this e-mail trash on here without any knowledge of the subject or even simple research.

Maybe the e-mail was put out by the people who sell onions, get people to bin all there left over onions and they'll sell a lot more onions!

Onions ARE AS SAFE AS HOUSES.

Analysis: Versions of this text have been circulating since mid-2008, with the earliest examples attributed to food writer "Zola Gorgon" (aka Sarah McCann). I have not been able to locate the exact date or venue of its original publishing.

While the article makes a valid point about the relative safety of commercially-produced mayonnaise versus the other ingredients typically found in homemade potato salad (e.g. onions and potatoes), it exaggerates the danger of keeping and using leftover raw onions.

It's not the onions; it's how you handle them

According to science writer Joe Schwarcz, onions are in no sense a "magnet for bacteria." In fact, Schwarcz writes, cut onions contain enzymes that produce sulphuric acid, which inhibits the growth of germs. Onions can become contaminated during handling, but there's nothing about them that makes them intrinsically more susceptible to bacterial growth or spoilage than any other raw vegetable.

"So unless you have sliced your onions on a contaminated cutting board, or handled them with dirty hands," Schwarcz explains, "you can safely put them in a plastic bag and store them and there will not be any bacterial contamination."

Food folklore: onions 'attract' or 'collect' infectious bacteria

The notion that onions are a "bacteria magnet" may stem from an old wives' tale dating at least as far back as the 1500s, when it was believed that distributing raw onions around a residence guarded against the bubonic plague and other diseases by "absorbing the elements of infection." Believe it or not, though it has no scientific basis whatsoever, some people still believe this today.

Share This Article

Sources and further reading:

Is It True that Onions Are 'Magnets for Bacteria'?

By Dr. Joe Schwarcz, McGill University

Onions as Bacteria Magnets

The Chemist's Kitchen, 6 April 2009

Refrigerate Cut Onions for Best Storage

Charlotte Observer, 2 January 2008

Food Safety Facts: Mayonnaise and Dressings

Association for Dressings and Sauces

Onions and Flu

Urban Legends, 23 October 2009

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/fooddrink/a/leftover_onions_are_poisonous.htm

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

Dude obviously I pasted this from an email I received. I sure as hell don't visit a hairdresser in AZ. It was sent to me by someone who cares,it worked for me and others so I thought to share seeing flu season is right around the corner. I guess all you have to lose is an onion,if it works you saved not only money but some misery,if it doesn't fry the onion.

• Upvote 10

There are MANY medicinal benefits from raw onions. You might want to read up on it.

Delta, thanks for the post! You meant well and I appreciate the effort.

Some of the benefits of raw onions are:

beneficial for coughs (place cut onion in a jar, close with a lid, then open and inhale deeply several times. close the jar and repeat as needed)

also for coughs (mix with honey and consume - loosens dry cough)

excellent poultice for a number of skin issues (anti septic for boils, cuts, rashes, etc)

http://www.juicing-for-health.com/health-benefits-of-onion.html

http://www.vegetarian-nutrition.info/updates/onions.php

http://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/health-benefits-of-onion.html

As for storing unused cut onions in the fridge for future use, I've never had a problem doing that, neither did my mother, or my grandmothers. Another neat tip re onions and fridges: if you wrap a whole onion, peel and all, in aluminum foil, it will last up to a year in the fridge. It may grow a few roots, but the onion itself is intact, no green growth and no mold. I buy 50 lbs of onions at a time and have stored them like this with no problems. You just need a spare fridge to hold em all! :P

• Upvote 1

No doubt there are very likely a number of medicinal properties in onions. Prolly not as potent as garlic is, however. However, still further, that has nothing to do with the idea of onion being a bacteria magnet.

"I buy 50 lbs of onions at a time and have stored them like this with no problems. You just need a spare fridge to hold em all!"

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/80755-onions-very-interesting/#ixzz1VgZiU5BB

WHAT type of cooking are all those onions being used for?

Italian, maybe?

• Upvote 1

The most important line in the entire post is the one where the chemist guy says they produce the mayo with a pH level where bacteria can't survive.

The key to good health is having the right pH level.

If bacteria can't survive in an alkaline environment, isn't that the angle worth looking into?

Try "The pH miracle" its worth a read.

Dude obviously I pasted this from an email I received. I sure as hell don't visit a hairdresser in AZ. It was sent to me by someone who cares,it worked for me and others so I thought to share seeing flu season is right around the corner. I guess all you have to lose is an onion,if it works you saved not only money but some misery,if it doesn't fry the onion.

I was trying to picture you at a hairdresser in AZ but I couldn't, glad you debunked that one, lol. Thanks for the onion tip, I am gonna put one in a couple of rooms, we are battling strept throat around here right now.

• Upvote 2

No doubt there are very likely a number of medicinal properties in onions. Prolly not as potent as garlic is, however. However, still further, that has nothing to do with the idea of onion being a bacteria magnet.

"I buy 50 lbs of onions at a time and have stored them like this with no problems. You just need a spare fridge to hold em all!"

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/80755-onions-very-interesting/#ixzz1VgZiU5BB

WHAT type of cooking are all those onions being used for?

Italian, maybe?

:lol: I use onions in EVERYTHING! :lol: (except icecream.... :P )

Italian, Chinese, Mexican, Spanish, German, ....... pickling, chutneys, canning, dehydrating, salads.... it's everywhere! it's everywhere!

:lol:

Utter BS, Delta22 you recieved this "crud" in an e-mail, this isn't you expierence at all!

Read more:

Erm Cbi, I dont know what planet you are from.

But as it happens, I was born and raised in England.

When I was little, and when were ill, it wasn't unusual to call upon the "olde' wives'" remedies.

as we often called them. They were easy to use, and had no side effects.

We used the onion many times, AND it is also good for absorbing paint.

We used that whenever we painted a room, we would place an onion on the window ledge.

When we came back later, no paint smell, but the onion had taken it on.

Being on the national health system in England, remedies like these were indeed greatly encouraged.

Especially by the medical field. Mostly because when you went to the doctor for treatment,

they would have prescribed some sort of chemical derivative which often left serious side effects.

Even back then, doctors cared, and were not in the pockets of big pharma. They freely advised alternatives.

And they worked! How do you think humankind reached this era millions of years later,

if they only had nature to provide for them? There were no pharmacies back then now, were there?

If you think otherwise, then perhaps you should really consider to re evaluate your thinking.

Next time anyone is ill, and they are given a medicine to take,

then I challenge you to take a good look at what you are pouring down your throat,

and that of your family and see what is in it.

If I cannot pronounce the chemical name, then I would want to know what it really is!

Nature works, if we really let it!

Best Regards

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

ONION

This is the other note.

the future.

learned from a chemist.

refrigerator.

Greetings! I am very interested in where you got the information you stated in the first paragraph ( 1919 stuff) only. I have been in the Holistic Helaing field my whole life and never heard what you presented here. I would like to know where you got the information so that I could read up on it. As far as antibacterial foods, raw garlic & oil of oregano will kill all bacteria in the body ( so much that you should take a probiotic while your taking them because they kill the good bacteria in the gut too ), and kelp will chase fungus out of the body. Onions are also antibacterial, but I never heard them function at the lefel you expressed. Again, where did you get the information you used.

Thanks!

• Upvote 2

Read more:

Erm Cbi, I dont know what planet you are from.

But as it happens, I was born and raised in England.

When I was little, and when were ill, it wasn't unusual to call upon the "olde' wives'" remedies.

as we often called them. They were easy to use, and had no side effects.

We used the onion many times, AND it is also good for absorbing paint.

We used that whenever we painted a room, we would place an onion on the window ledge.

When we came back later, no paint smell, but the onion had taken it on.

Being on the national health system in England, remedies like these were indeed greatly encouraged.

Especially by the medical field. Mostly because when you went to the doctor for treatment,

they would have prescribed some sort of chemical derivative which often left serious side effects.

Even back then, doctors cared, and were not in the pockets of big pharma. They freely advised alternatives.

And they worked! How do you think humankind reached this era millions of years later,

if they only had nature to provide for them? There were no pharmacies back then now, were there?

If you think otherwise, then perhaps you should really consider to re evaluate your thinking.

Next time anyone is ill, and they are given a medicine to take,

then I challenge you to take a good look at what you are pouring down your throat,

and that of your family and see what is in it.

If I cannot pronounce the chemical name, then I would want to know what it really is!

Nature works, if we really let it!

Best Regards

1,000 +'s

And, this too changes the level of PH in your system.

When your body is at the correct level, this aids in combating bacteria.

Thus, less infection.

I have been taking a dose of baking soda and water each day.

1tsp of baking soda ( the kind with NO metals )

Add this to a glass (8oz) DISTILLED water.

I suggested this to my sister a while ago, who had a constant cough.

This was so bad, that she could barely speak without interruption. Doctors put her through all sorts of tests,

microscopes down her throat and horrid tests etc; none would reveal what was infecting her.

Finally, after a couple of days of taking the solution, she could breathe easily again.

Today, she has very little problem and can talk without going into a fit of coughing.

And she is getting better every day. Of course, she cannot wait for her next visit to her doctor

to tell of her "miracle" cure!

Best Regards.

I will have to try this delta, thanks for the post!+1

Cbisinger, it's not that you are correct or incorrect, it's your tact that is lacking.

Definition:

Tact (n.) - <LI>Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending.

When you come out with a harsh response, especially to a respected member like Delta, you are bound to draw some ire.

Just sayin'...

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried the onion cure with success?

My son put one in his room today because he's had a bad cold for a week, then he went out with friends and is spending the night at another friends. So much for my onion! His room smells even worse now!

KK

MADD for Heather

Has anyone tried the onion cure with success?

My son put one in his room today because he's had a bad cold for a week, then he went out with friends and is spending the night at another friends. So much for my onion! His room smells even worse now!

KK

MADD for Heather

Yes I did... you have to cut the onion in half. My friend who was struggling with flu for two weeks did it for a couple nights where she put the cut onion on the night stand and she felt much better in fact she got rid of her cough :)

• Upvote 1

ONION

This is the other note.

the future.

learned from a chemist.

refrigerator.

The influenza in 1919 was a virus. All Flus are viruses. Viruses are very different from bacterium. This is why treating someone with antibiotics that has a virus is useless and not done unless infection has set in or is likely to.

Food spoiling has nothing to do with viruses.