Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Al-Sadr warns US forces to leave Iraq

Stefanie

BAGHDAD (AP) — A powerful anti-American Shiite cleric called Tuesday on U.S. troops in Iraq to leave the country and go back to their families or risk more attacks.

Muqtada al-Sadr's comments came in a rare statement translated into English and directed at U.S. troops in Iraq. The statement was posted on his website.

In it, the Shiite cleric appealed directly to the roughly 46,000 U.S. troops still in the country and said Iraq does not need their help.

"So, go forth from our holy land and go back to your families who are waiting for you impatiently," al-Sadr said. The comment appeared to be a nod to the unpopularity of the Iraq war in the U.S. where many people are frustrated with the length of the war and the heavy burden it has put on American troops.

Iraqi officials are mulling whether to keep some U.S. troops past their December departure date. But they're worried about a potential backlash if the U.S. military remains in the country.

Al-Sadr and his militia members have vowed to assault any American force that remains and have already been attacking American troops with rockets and bombs.

Al-Sadr added that Iraqi security forces are able to handle the country's security challenges without the help of U.S. troops or trainers.

"Enough of this occupation, terror and abuse. We are not in need of your help. We are able to combat and defeat terrorism, and achieve unity," he said. "We are not in need of your bases, your experience."

While the security situation in Iraq has improved over the past few years, attacks are still commonplace. In June alone, 14 U.S. soldiers were killed in combat, making it the bloodiest month for the U.S. military in Iraq in two years. Nearly all of them were killed in attacks by Shiite militias, like those headed by al-Sadr, who are bent on forcing out American troops and portraying themselves as driving out the "occupier."

http://news.yahoo.com/al-sadr-warns-us-forces-leave-iraq-095924688.html

'We are able to combat and defeat terrorism, and achieve unity," he said. "We are not in need of your bases, your experience."'

He is full of %#@&. In fact, he IS the remaining terrorism in Iraq. I think we need to take him out. We got Osama, so he should be next. He is nothing but trouble, and if we leave, he will just allow the Iranians to come in and take over. And there goes the neighborhood.

• Upvote 1

OK time to take the gloves off and either arrest this scumbag or storm his compound and take care of business.This guy Sadr is a key roadblock to any peaceful future for Iraq..OF COURSE this is just my opinion but this guy has been a thorn in my saddle since day 1. i could go on but you all get the picture!! OH YEAH i really dont care if this guy is considered a key "POLITICAL" player. Politicians dont have "MALITIA " groups and threaten people daily

Edited by tim5400

As I have said many times before! We should have killed this clown long ago. But our political leaders were afraid we would up set the Muslims. Hell, we up set most of these clowns any way. One shot, one kill. Please let our guys off the leash! :blink:

• Upvote 1

He is right about getting every one of our troops out as soon as possible. Then start sending our drones and our rockets into their compounds, and remind them of what "Shock and Awe" is. Iran needs to be introduced first hand to the same.