Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

11-Yr-Old Girl Saves Baby Bird From Cat, Mom Gets $535 Fine

krome2ez

Posted on August 2, 2011 at 8:20am by Mike Opelka

Today’s shining example of “No Good Deed Goes Unpunished” comes from Fredericksburg, VA, where a young girl prevented the family cat from pouncing on a lost baby woodpecker and her mom ended up with a $535 ticket (and faces the possibility of jail time) for violating the Federal Migratory Bird Act.

Despite the fact that 11-year-old Skylar Capo actually saved the tiny lost woodpecker from a violent death, and then successfully released the bird back into the wild, a Virginia State Trooper was still dispatched to the Capo home where Skylar’s mom was slapped with the $535 ticket.

Why? It all has to do with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. 9News has the story:

For the 311 million (or so) Americans who are probably not familiar with the restrictions of this Federal regulation, it states the following:

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act makes it illegal for anyone to take, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase, or barter, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such a bird except under the terms of a valid permit issued pursuant to Federal regulations.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/mom-slapped-with-fine-after-daughter-saves-baby-bird/

Posted on August 2, 2011 at 8:20am by Mike Opelka

Today’s shining example of “No Good Deed Goes Unpunished” comes from Fredericksburg, VA, where a young girl prevented the family cat from pouncing on a lost baby woodpecker and her mom ended up with a $535 ticket (and faces the possibility of jail time) for violating the Federal Migratory Bird Act.

Despite the fact that 11-year-old Skylar Capo actually saved the tiny lost woodpecker from a violent death, and then successfully released the bird back into the wild, a Virginia State Trooper was still dispatched to the Capo home where Skylar’s mom was slapped with the $535 ticket.

Why? It all has to do with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. 9News has the story:

For the 311 million (or so) Americans who are probably not familiar with the restrictions of this Federal regulation, it states the following:

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act makes it illegal for anyone to take, possess, import, export, transport, sell, purchase, barter, or offer for sale, purchase, or barter, any migratory bird, or the parts, nests, or eggs of such a bird except under the terms of a valid permit issued pursuant to Federal regulations.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/mom-slapped-with-fine-after-daughter-saves-baby-bird/

This is an easy ticket to fight....They did not take the bird, possess it, (which means to have and to hold as one's own) , import, export, transport, sell , purchase, barter or offer it for sale.....The little girl did a great job and I have done it too so have thousands of others when rescuing baby critters and we didnt get a ticket.....Some rules/laws should be looked at hard and fast before jumping to giving a ticket....

Edited by Kimjackie
  • Upvote 5

This is an easy ticket to fight....They did not take the bird, possess it, (which means to have and to hold as one's own) , import, export, transport, sell , purchase, barter or offer it for sale.....The little girl did a great job and I have done it too so have thousands of others when rescuing baby critters and we didnt get a ticket.....Some rules/laws should be looked at hard and fast before jumping to giving a ticket....

I agree, but still feel it is a sad state of affairs that we find our selves in,

that this woman will need to spend time and money to fight such a stupid ticket.

we should pay the ticket for her- who cares what they say we know better- poor girl must be flippin. mom must be to/ i would be. she needs a good lawyer and a cat that is about 900 pounds and an officer at the front door. i wonder what would happen to THAT TURKEY? :lol::):):lol::lol::twothumbs: Pray that it gets straightened out. we should follow this. she needs a good lawyer then i would sue the cop. Blessings to all Vern

I responded above but then heard about this a little more on the news so wanted to respond again....To me and others this is BIG GOVERNMENT VERSUS COMMON SENSE.......... I did hear that the mom and 11 year old put the bird in a cage and it was seen by a Fish and Wildlife officer... They did not plan to take/keep the bird only to help it recuperate which I guess you cannot even do that now a days....They did not import, export, transport, sell , purchase, barter or offer it for sale so maybe they can fight the ticket.....The little girl did a great job and I have done it too so have thousands of others when rescuing baby critters and we didnt get a ticket.....Some rules/laws should be looked at hard and fast before jumping to giving a ticket....

Edited by Kimjackie

It ain't about no stinking law! It's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! States are broke and are doing anything just to extort as much funds from the innocent public.

And this cop that issued the ticket is just proof they are intentional hiring people with low IQ's to be cops! Only an idiot would write a ticket for such a thing.

• Upvote 1

It ain't about no stinking law! It's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! States are broke and are doing anything just to extort as much funds from the innocent public.

And this cop that issued the ticket is just proof they are intentional hiring people with low IQ's to be cops! Only an idiot would write a ticket for such a thing.

As usual, well said PT. +1