Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Security Council extends UN mission in Iraq by another year

476815-council.jpg

Security Council28 July 2011 – The Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) for another year as it welcomed recent security improvements in the country but stressed the need for further progress on the humanitarian, human rights and political fronts.

In a resolution adopted unanimously, Council members agreed to continue the work of UNAMI for a period of 12 months, in line with the latest report of Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on the work of the mission.

The resolution noted that Iraq’s security situation had improved “through concerted political and security efforts” and added that further advances will be made through meaningful political dialogue.

All communities in the country should be involved in the political process, refrain from statements or actions that aggravate tensions and reach “a comprehensive solution on the distribution of resources,” according to the resolution.

Council members urged the Government to continue to promote human rights, including by supporting the country’s Independent High Commission for Human Rights and by developing strategies to ensure that women can play a much greater decision-making role in society.

The resolution also stressed the need for a coordinated response to Iraq’s humanitarian needs and for all aid workers to be able to do their jobs unhindered.

Civilians, especially children, women and members of religious and ethnic minorities, should be able to feel safe, while the dignified and orderly return of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) should be encouraged, the Council said.

Members also called on the Government to continue its ongoing cooperation with the Kuwaiti Government, with which it fought a war in 1990-91, and meet its outstanding international obligations on that issue.

UNAMI was created in 2003 and is headed by Ad Melkert, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Iraq.

http://www.un.org/ap...172&Cr=Iraq&Cr1

• Upvote 2

thanks Sara,

I found this but could not figure out how to post it. Still learning

476815-council.jpg

Security Council28 July 2011 – The Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) for another year as it welcomed recent security improvements in the country but stressed the need for further progress on the humanitarian, human rights and political fronts.

In a resolution adopted unanimously, Council members agreed to continue the work of UNAMI for a period of 12 months, in line with the latest report of Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on the work of the mission.

The resolution noted that Iraq’s security situation had improved “through concerted political and security efforts” and added that further advances will be made through meaningful political dialogue.

All communities in the country should be involved in the political process, refrain from statements or actions that aggravate tensions and reach “a comprehensive solution on the distribution of resources,” according to the resolution.

Council members urged the Government to continue to promote human rights, including by supporting the country’s Independent High Commission for Human Rights and by developing strategies to ensure that women can play a much greater decision-making role in society.

The resolution also stressed the need for a coordinated response to Iraq’s humanitarian needs and for all aid workers to be able to do their jobs unhindered.

Civilians, especially children, women and members of religious and ethnic minorities, should be able to feel safe, while the dignified and orderly return of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) should be encouraged, the Council said.

Members also called on the Government to continue its ongoing cooperation with the Kuwaiti Government, with which it fought a war in 1990-91, and meet its outstanding international obligations on that issue.

UNAMI was created in 2003 and is headed by Ad Melkert, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Iraq.

http://www.un.org/ap...172&Cr=Iraq&Cr1

this is a good thing....well not a good thing but its not a bad thing.......the article talks about humanitary needs of the iraqi people....and the only way to satisfy those needs is to RV or RI

not only that, Biden and Maliki have agreed to extended US stay....the only way to do that is to extend the UNAMI mandate.....this is good news guys

• Upvote 5

Wow, people are unbelievable... Not everything correlates to a reduction or increase in the amount of time before we see a revaluation of the Iraqi Dinar. They are still studying the effects of what their redenomination plan will do, since it's related to ones used in the past by other countries, like Turkey, but it's different in that they will be raising the value of their currency first to be in line with some stable currency (not likely the USD at this point).

UNAMI is the solid backbone of prompting and influence Iraq has needed to get its things in order. All this indicates is that they were on schedule, actually, ahead of schedule, for the deadline of UNAMI, but other political and global economic forces have hindered their ultimate progress (Iran, China, Kuwait, and even the US) and so they just renewed the mission so Iraq will remain positive and striving to fulfill all the UN requirements to become internationally acceptable and intriguing again. So far they are making amazing progress, and no one can argue that, but there have been delays and hindrances this year, so they just need some more time. Sorry guys, but we'll probably see this go for another few months, if not into the late spring of next year.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, I thought that part of this meeting with the UN was also to discuss and potentially decide upon whether Iraq had met it's obligations in order to be lifted out of Ch 7? Was that discuseed within this meeting? Does anyone know the status of Ch 7?

Thanks.

I'm sorry, I thought that part of this meeting with the UN was also to discuss and potentially decide upon whether Iraq had met it's obligations in order to be lifted out of Ch 7? Was that discuseed within this meeting? Does anyone know the status of Ch 7?

Thanks.

No, it was only a vote and it took all of about two minutes. I don't believe anything was actually discussed this morning. No news on Ch 7.

• Upvote 2

It looks like to me as long as thy are under UN resolutions thy can not be Internationale recognized and and no RV at this time. Someone Please tell me I am wrong/// unsure.gif

Sounds to me that we have to wait another 12 months. They will continue to use the dollar like they are doing and Obama may get his wish and this gets done close to the elections like he planned all a long.

He will be a hero! Just ask him! angry.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So from what people are saying it looks like they didn't get out of Chpt VII. Does anyone know for sure they

still in chpt VII

??

I so sure glad I didn't push button to buy more, came real close will hold on for while but apparently don't look good maybe another year

before any RV.

Any comments please tell me I am wrong really feel depressed now!!

Wow, people are unbelievable... Not everything correlates to a reduction or increase in the amount of time before we see a revaluation of the Iraqi Dinar. They are still studying the effects of what their redenomination plan will do, since it's related to ones used in the past by other countries, like Turkey, but it's different in that they will be raising the value of their currency first to be in line with some stable currency (not likely the USD at this point).

UNAMI is the solid backbone of prompting and influence Iraq has needed to get its things in order. All this indicates is that they were on schedule, actually, ahead of schedule, for the deadline of UNAMI, but other political and global economic forces have hindered their ultimate progress (Iran, China, Kuwait, and even the US) and so they just renewed the mission so Iraq will remain positive and striving to fulfill all the UN requirements to become internationally acceptable and intriguing again. So far they are making amazing progress, and no one can argue that, but there have been delays and hindrances this year, so they just need some more time. Sorry guys, but we'll probably see this go for another few months, if not into the late spring of next year.

You know this is so not what I wanted to hear. :mad:

Sounds to me that we have to wait another 12 months. They will continue to use the dollar like they are doing and Obama may get his wish and this gets done close to the elections like he planned all a long.

He will be a hero! Just ask him! angry.gif

The UNAMI extension has nothing to do with the RV. All of the financial sanctions have been lifted. Do a little research on the UNAMI mission.

• Upvote 4

This isn't a bad thing IMO...the UNAMI has been extended yearly since creation in 2004. It's a backbone for the country to ensure things get done!

This actually makes me feel 'better' knowing they are still going to push Iraq to get it all together before handing over the keys...otherwise it could all fall apart before our eyes. Even though it's for another year, from what I've read on the UNAMI website - they can have this looked at/readressed at any time when Iraq wants.

Below is the link to the page of ALL extensions since creation. Top one: Resolution 1936 Extension of UNAMI (2010)

UN Documents

5. Expresses its intention to review the mandate of UNAMI in twelve months or sooner, if requested by the Government of Iraq;

6. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Council every four months on the progress made towards the fulfilment of all UNAMI’s responsibilities;

Edited by SoGrateful
  • Upvote 1