Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The Green Thing

RodandStaff

This was sent to me, and based on the response I got so far I thought I would share this perspective with the DV family to see what ya'll think!

The Green Thing

In the line at the store, the cashier told an older

woman that she should bring her own grocery bags

because plastic bags weren't good for the

environment.

The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't

have the green thing back in my day."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem

today. Your generation did not care enough to

save our environment." He was right -- our generation

didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and

beer bottles to the store. The store sent them

back to the plant to be washed and sterilized

and refilled, so it could use the same bottles

over and over. So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an

escalator in every store and office building. We

walked to the grocery store and didn't climb

into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had

to go two blocks. But she was right. We

didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we

didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried

clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling

machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar

power really did dry the clothes. Kids got

hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or

sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that

old lady is right; we didn't have the green

thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in

every room. And the TV had a small screen the

size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a

screen the size of the state of Montana .

In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand

because we didn't have electric machines to do

everything for us.

When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail,

we used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it,

not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn

gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push

mower that ran on human power. We exercised by

working so we didn't need to go to a health club

to run on treadmills that operate on

electricity. But she's right; we didn't

have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty

instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every

time we had a drink of water.

We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying

a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a

razor instead of throwing away the whole razor

just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or

a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or

walked instead of turning their moms into a

24-hour taxi service.

We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an

entire bank of sockets to power a dozen

appliances. And we didn't need a computerized

gadget to receive a signal beamed from

satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to

find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how

wasteful we old folks were just because we

didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person

who needs a lesson in conservation from a

smartypants young person.

The Green Thing

• Upvote 12

We didn't have a green thing, we had common sense.

BRAVO that's so true....one only needs to be educated to be aware of pollutions cause and effect...now with that being said

THAT GREEN THING IS B.....it. Just another way for the government to tax and steal...the arrogance of man to believe he can control the weather and death just boggles my mind......be aware and caring of your people and your planet,

but people are so uneducated about weather cycles and science..... they will buy into anything the government says. It's the ole scare tactic...let's not forget who created this wonderful world we live in ;)

Just say'n

Dame

• Upvote 3

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh I remember some, if not most of those, but I guess I'm not quite as old as you Rod. LOL.

Great post.

WHO U CALLING OLD? wink.gif ... well, guess I'm not as old as dirt...yet!tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif For those references you are not familiar with... ask your grandma or grandpa! wink.gif

BRAVO that's so true....one only needs to be educated to be aware of pollutions cause and effect...now with that being said

THAT GREEN THING IS B.....it. Just another way for the government to tax and steal...the arrogance of man to believe he can control the weather and death just boggles my mind......be aware and caring of your people and your planet,

but people are so uneducated about weather cycles and science..... they will buy into anything the government says. It's the ole scare tactic...let's not forget who created this wonderful world we live in ;)

Just say'n

Dame

I like how you think "Miss Dame"... and I am not gonna ask what is in your purse like some folks do around here!wink.gif

WHO U CALLING OLD? wink.gif ... well, guess I'm not as old as dirt...yet!tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif For those references you are not familiar with... ask your grandma or grandpa! wink.gif

I like how you think "Miss Dame"... and I am not gonna ask what is in your purse like some folks do around here!wink.gif

Haha :lol:

SLADE darling where for art thow?????? Need someone to pick on :P:P

Edited by SLUM DAME
  • Upvote 1

Well I am old enough to remember all of those things plus a few more. We paid deposits on coke bottles and then returned them for credit when we wanted another coke. That's why old original coke bottles are hard to find.

We didn't bring groceries home in a sack because most of us gathered them from our home gardens in a basket that was reused over and over again.

If you lived in the country on a farm, everything was recycled - nothing was ever thrown away until it was no longer usable.

A great vacation was spent camping out with Mom and Dad and the campground was always cleaned of debris before we left.

We didn't waste water because you had to hand carry it to the house from a pump out back.

Another small note: Our countryside is littered with empty cans, plastic bags, soiled diapers, etc and I find that the "younger generation" that is so concerned about "The Green Thing" are the ones that seem to think it is someone else's responsiblity other than theirs.

Just my :twocents:

• Upvote 3

The other day, I went to the fridge to get some ice but it wouldn't drop down the shoot into my glass. Seriously, I had to open the door reach with my own hand, into a big tray of perfectly formed cubes and get my own ice. I almost complained out loud but then I remembered ice blocks and ice picks. :lol:

• Upvote 2

Well I am old enough to remember all of those things plus a few more. We paid deposits on coke bottles and then returned them for credit when we wanted another coke. That's why old original coke bottles are hard to find.

We didn't bring groceries home in a sack because most of us gathered them from our home gardens in a basket that was reused over and over again.

If you lived in the country on a farm, everything was recycled - nothing was ever thrown away until it was no longer usable.

A great vacation was spent camping out with Mom and Dad and the campground was always cleaned of debris before we left.

We didn't waste water because you had to hand carry it to the house from a pump out back.

Another small note: Our countryside is littered with empty cans, plastic bags, soiled diapers, etc and I find that the "younger generation" that is so concerned about "The Green Thing" are the ones that seem to think it is someone else's responsiblity other than theirs.

Well Said Texas..

We may not be the same age in years, but we are certainly from the same era.

I was raised in the UK, and we did not have TV, not unitl I was 10yrs or 11 yrs old.

Water was a cold tap, anything we heated up we had to carry to the stove. Even bath water.

Yes, we even re used the bath water !

Groceries were carried home in a HEMP shopping bag, or strong basket. At least food that were not home grown or home made.

No one drove, no one had a car.. There was no need for the gym, as we were never overweight. Not like today !

Clothes were passed down and proudly worn, and the ones that were not fit to wear, were torn apart and remade into another outfit.

We all pitched in, even weaving our own rugs out of rags, and knitting and crochetting our winter wear!

Back then we used the old iron irons, Remember them? The ones you had to put on the gas element of the stove to heat it up!

Later as T.V's, electric irons, electronics of all sorts....(No PC. back then) were rendered broken,

there was always an electronic wizard in the neighborhood who could fix it. And at a fair price !

Today, those wizards have all but disappeared and been rendered useless.

As the young ones hate to use anything old. They simply must have the newest and the latest!

Back then even electric razors were fixed. We never threw anything out !

A great contrast to those mountainous electronic cemeteries of today dont you think !

I even had a bike that was made from old re used parts of another old bike.

Try to sell that to any kids today and they would spit in your eye !

At least most I know anyway...

Of course, this all added up to having a great respect for the land and mother nature.

Always cleaning after you were on camping grounds, or parks, never littering!

Boy I could go on. But I dont think the youngsters of today would believe it.

So, I think i'll call it quits while I 'm ahead.. :-)

Best Regards

• Upvote 1

Well, I would say your TwoCents.gif are worth quite a lot Texasgranny... I wholeheartedly agree with you!! I moved down to NC and then TN from the frozen state of WI. some 14 yrs. ago... these states are beautiful but folks throw trash everywhere... no respect for natures beauty. I was taught as a boy scout to pick up a camp site even if it was a mess before we got there. Maybe it all boils down to "Respect" ... for where we live, for others, for ourselves, and for future generations. Why should we pass laws that fail when it is supposed to be something that comes naturally??? That is my TwoCents.gif.

WOW! the rest of ya'll... some good comments. I didn't imagine getting such in depth heart felt responses... thank you! I am out of +'s or I'd give ya'll one!biggrin.gif

Edited by RodandStaff
  • Upvote 1

We didn't have air conditioning.We had screens on the windows and doors (to keep the critters out). My grand daddy sawed the lumber and built that house himself. In the summer time if we had a really hot night we could sleep on the screened in porch and in the winter time we'd burn wood in our fireplaces. We had three. My mamaw would boil water and me and my brother would bathe together in a number two wash tub in the warm weather. We would get nasty... NASTY, because we played outside til we were told to come inside for a bath before supper. Two of my favorite toys was a spoon and a block of wood and I would build roads in the dirt under the back porch when the spring rains forced me under a roof. In the daylight hours when we weren't in school and after the chores were done all of us boys (when we could get together with my cousins and neighbor friends) were in the woods stalkin animals like wild indians and climbin' trees, or swimmin' in the pond. Sometimes if we were real sneaky we could catch a snake or a lizard to scare the wits out of the girls! After dark was when the real excitement started. We'd catch lightnin' bugs in a mason jar until the Whipoorwills and Bob Whites started talking and then we'd settle into a rockin' chair or swing on the fronth porch to listen to the wisdom of God's creation on a warm Southern night. After the fall garden was harvested we looked forward to Christmas. My daddy would go scoutin' in the woods to find just the right tree and me and my brother would go too. When we found that tree we'd go back a hundred times to look at it and wonder what Santa Claus would leave under it when we finally got it back to the house and trimmed and decorated it. Maybe he would leave a BB gun or a bow and arrows under the tree and big ol' piece of peppermint candy and an orange in my stockin'.

Dang, boy. Life was so simple back then. Everybody worked to get their chores done and if everything went good during the month we'd ride to town on the tailgate of daddy's truck to see a picture show and get some ice cream. We didn't eat hamburgers and pizza except if we got to go to a big city. I ain't lost nuthin' in a big ol' city and didn't care if I never went to one. Now look at us. Look at what we've allowed our world to become, and for all the advancements of technology I sometimes think we've gone backwards in the things that matter most anyway... B)

• Upvote 2

+1 I couldnt have said it any better then that granny. Nothing ever wasted. The only thing you cant use on a pig is it`s squeel. NO OFFENCE MONGO. Nobody eat you anyway your to ugly.

• Upvote 1

I didn't really intend to go there when I started writing my last post, but the floodgate of memory lane burst open. I started to say we didn't have the air conditioning and we read sometimes by a coal oil lamp to keep from burning the lights. We didn't have all that "green" stuff but we were smart about the way we treated the land. We sure didn't throw our trash out the windows but if the roadside needed cleaning the chain-gangs did it. They sure didn't get no conditioned air and I'll bet when they got out of the pokey most of them had real good reasons to behave themselves and act like gentlemen. Humph! These kids can take their green crap and put where their self esteem can't find it. All we really need is to get the government out of our daily affairs...

• Upvote 2

Another thing that was different was that we did not blame the resturant if we got fat. We did not have Wii nor other tv games. We got outside and rode our bikes and played. We were basic people. Our 'carbon footprint' was probably rather small. I see a rather large cost with fingers running in so many directions as the modern approach to 'fix' the problems has shot themselves in the butt.

• Upvote 1

And another thing...

The BIG corporations ? Where are they on this "Green Thing" ?

Back then when we were young and carefree, we did not have these big gigantic companies ruining our environment !

And when we planted a vegetable garden, or raised live stock, it was GOD's idea of what a plant and an animal should be,

and not some crazy company such as have Gentically Modified crap. The stuff that they are trying to shove onto our dinner plates

and cram down our throats. Who is going to reprimand them?

No sane person would do what they have attempted to do, and indeed are doing and hope to get away with it. Yet, they do, and with

all of the blessing of BIG ol' Gov. They demand from us that we practice the "Green Thing" yet they give a Royal pass to all of those

BIG money co's. What a hypocrisy !

Best Regards..

• Upvote 1

One more observation,

the "Green Thing" is supposedly of Democrat or Left wing ideals.

But did you see all the trash left behind after Pres Obama's inauguration?

Estimated at over 130 tons. That's TONS!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/21/AR2009012103900.html

Now, did you see pictures after a Tea Party rally?

Or how about Glenn Beck's 8/28 Restoring Honor event?

Over 500,000 people, and little if any trash left behind.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Maybe the "Green Thing" is really a means to control the people?

Naw, it couldn't be, could it? <_<

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hey Texasgranny you left out canning your vegies and root cellars. Not many people do that anymore.

Edited by Redhorse

Hey Texasgranny you left out canning your vegies and root cellars. Not many people do that anymore.

I do - made some picante sauce from my tomatoes just a few weeks ago. Pickled some zuchini squash too. :twothumbs:

If my garden had been bigger this year would have put up some purple hull peas, okra, and canned some tomatoes for next winter. :woot:

Refuse to buy tomatoes in the grocery store - they have NO taste. :eek:

Don't have a root cellar at my new place - don't have an orchard yet either but will start one this fall.

Even if I make $$$ on dinar - my lifestyle will stay as it is because that is what makes me happy and content. :hug:

• 2 weeks later...

I do - made some picante sauce from my tomatoes just a few weeks ago. Pickled some zuchini squash too. :twothumbs:

If my garden had been bigger this year would have put up some purple hull peas, okra, and canned some tomatoes for next winter. :woot:

Refuse to buy tomatoes in the grocery store - they have NO taste. :eek:

Don't have a root cellar at my new place - don't have an orchard yet either but will start one this fall.

Even if I make $ on dinar - my lifestyle will stay as it is because that is what makes me happy and content. :hug:

Fortunately for me TexasGranny... I married "up", so my lovely bride knows how to do these things... we hope to purchase land after the RV that will allow us more room for an orchard and a bigger garden. But our lifestyle won't change either. We figure someone has to keep these skills alive, if we forget how to do these basic life's skills who will know how to do them? Trying to teach the younger generation isn't easy though...they would rather sit on the couch and just get up and walk to the fridge!rolleyes.gif Thanks for your input!!!

Edited by RodandStaff

I'm barely old enough to remember when dirt was white. lol

• Upvote 1

there's usualy not a whole lot to waste time reading here, but this is an exception. I get so discuraged by seeing my own grandchildren going off to college and instead of learning how to think being taught what to think. They get so indoctrinated into the liberal mentality you realy begin to wonder what the future will bring.I know each generation thinks the next is a problem but I wonder if we will survive this " I WANT EVERTHING FOR ME FREE " Sure hope so. Have a great day and help improve someone elses life if possible.