Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Is Ramada every year, and do all Participate?

Quietlearner

This came off the CBI website: Just dont know if RAMADA was forgotten or what?

New Year's Day

1-Jan

Army Day / 1921

6-Jan

Prophet's Birthday

* 28-Feb

Spring Day

21-Mar

Falling of the regime

9-April

Labour Day

1-May

14th July Revolution / 1958

14-July

Id Al- Fitr (3 Days)

* 10-Sept

Id Al- Adha (4 days)

* 17-Nov

Islamic New Year

* 8-Dec

Ashoura Day

* 17-Dec

New Year's Day

1-Jan

Army Day / 1921

6-Jan

Prophet's Birthday

* 28-Feb

Spring Day

21-Mar

Falling of the regime

9-April

Labour Day

1-May

14th July Revolution / 1958

14-July

Id Al- Fitr (3 Days)

* 10-Sept

Id Al- Adha (4 days)

* 17-Nov

Islamic New Year

* 8-Dec

Ashoura Day

* 17-Dec

http://www.cbi.iq/thecbi.html

• Upvote 1

Yes

Thank you for your answer, it is appreciated

Respect

Quietlearner

"buy on the Rumor, Sell on the News"

During Ramadan People work as usual. It lasts more or less 1 month...They just have to abstain from eating, drinking, sex, etc. from sunrise to sundown.

To you Umbertino, thank you as well. I appreciate the information. I was truly having a tuff time finding this out on the search engines.

Respect,

Quietlearner

"buy on the rumor, Sell on the News!"

It is a large fast from what I understand. They are allowed to consume some water and dates, that is it though. They believe it cleanses their body. I have been to Bahrain during Ramadan. We were not allowed to eat or drink in the public eye. We could eat on base and what not. It last like umbertino said about a month.

Ramadan is a time in which Muslims seek to identify with the poor and hungry of this world by fasting during the day, and eating only at night. They seek to feel the hunger much of the world feels to remind them to reach out and help and to be compassionate for others. It is a very honorable ritual of connection. Jesus went to the desert for forty days and nights. There is a connection in this fasting to cleanse the spirit of things and to get priorities straight with God.

During Ramadan People work as usual. It lasts more or less 1 month...They just have to abstain from eating, drinking, sex, etc. from sunrise to sundown.

Exactly, its not a HUGE deal that people on these boards are making it out to be, these people swear up and down that the RV cannot happen during that time, that no work will be done....people are such sheep...just research GOSH!!!!!

but, i think the RV will happen before then because the iraqi people like to entertain themselves with other things during this time, and in order to really do that you need valuable money....ALL IMO

I believe( I am not a scholar just have basic knowledge of Christianity, Muslim, Jewish, Hinduism, Buddhist faith) Ramadan is a process of cleansing spiritually and physically.

An interesting experience...I know this not a religion forum, I am just giving my 2 cents.

http://news.yahoo.com/true-meaning-ramadan-life-without-god-meaningless-205400954.html

Just talked to my sister who spent 7 years in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and she hated the month of August - traveling was extremely difficult - if you needed a visa you better get it before Ramadan or you might as well wait until after it was over. She said the businesses do stay open but no one accomplishes anything - they've been up all night eating and drinking because they can't during the daytime -basically, they are hungover all month. :lmao:

Just talked to my sister who spent 7 years in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and she hated the month of August - traveling was extremely difficult - if you needed a visa you better get it before Ramadan or you might as well wait until after it was over. She said the businesses do stay open but no one accomplishes anything - they've been up all night eating and drinking because they can't during the daytime -basically, they are hungover all month. :lmao:

Yep, that's a pretty good description. So much for the "spirit" of another religious ritual. Of course, murdering infidels probably wouldn't go over too well with a real god either. Imagine if every "religions" god actually existed???? Now that wold be a mess...

Yep, that's a pretty good description. So much for the "spirit" of another religious ritual. Of course, murdering infidels probably wouldn't go over too well with a real god either. Imagine if every "religions" god actually existed???? Now that wold be a mess...

HAHAHA..... If every other religion's god(s) existing it would be like living in Anceint Greece or Rome; and those places were a mess.

Ramadan is celebrated in the ninth month of the Islamic calendar every year.

During Ramadan there is an over-abundance of fasting (every single day) meaning they are allowed only water and dates during the day, prayer 5 times daily (done throughout the year anyway) and reading of the entire Qur'an (only certain parts are read during the remainder of the year), charitable work is done almost every day, and at night they celebrate the Iftar. Iftar is a family gathering for eating in the evening; and in some cases banquet halls are set up for many people to gather in eat in the evening.

Muslims are commanded thru the Qur'an to slow down from worldly affairs and focus on self-reformation, spiritual cleansing and enlightenment. They believe by doing this they will establish a link between themselves and God through their prayers, supplications, charities, good deeds, kindness and helping others.

In short as I have said just last week in a post, nothing will be getting done during Ramadan. Only the bare essential and basic necessities will be done during this time. Either something happens by Friday 07/29/11, or we are going into September.

Ramadan comes once a year, this year it will be July31/Aug1 from sundown for 30 days roughly. Next year it will start 15 July. Ever year it is 2 weeks earlier. So they sleep all day and eat, drink water, sex all night. These are the hot months in The Middle East, It is very hard on them to go all day without drinking water. After Ramandan is the festival ao EID. That is party time for them. This no eating and drinking of water also applies to Westerners, it sucks. I had to put up with it since 1994 because of my work in the ME and Africa. All you food establishment are closed until 1700 hours. This year I am at home for it ,thank God for that. If caught eating ,smoking or drinking water the fines can be 200 dollars and higher.

The way I understand it after living in Kuwait and Iraq for the past 8 years is Ramadan is not a specific time each year, it goes by the phases of the moon and generally last around 30 days but it seems like it was in November and longer than that my first year in Kuwait. So to say it would be during there hottest time of the year would be incorrect. In a round about way everyone participates in Ramadan. No one is allowed to eat, drink chew gum in public, if you do and are caught you could go to jail. There are many places such as hotels that have a place closed off to the public eye where non-muslims can eat.

Okay, briefest of outlines ...

Ramadan, almost a month in length, starts around August 1st. As with our Easter it falls or starts on a different day most years because it has to do with a complete month and months are measured according to position of the sun, which changes a bit every year.

During Ramadan, through the day NO eating, NO drinking, not even water, NO sex, as someone mentioned. But this is only from SUNUP to SUNDOWN. So, up early and breakfast on tea and Medjool dates if they can afford them, all before the sun is up. Work or go to school, all day, not even a sip of water. Only dispensation is if you are on medication, then enough to swallow a pill or two. Sun goes down, full meal, drink your fill of juice or water or tea. Set the alarm to go off before the sun rises. Repeat each day and night until Ramadan is over.

Basically it is celebrated in every place where the Muslim faith is practiced. Muslims in a place with no others of their faith, or no mosque, will follow the traditions on their own. It is the largest and most widely known of the Muslim celebrations. It is followed by Eide, which is a time of thanksgiving and paying back whoever you feel you owe.

The original posting, a list of religious, and other holidays does not include this holiday most likely because it is not a time off work. Oh, we are all hearing that the parliament of Iraq won't be working, but in truth, though they may not be sitting and taking on new projects, there is no reason for them not to work. All they have to do is not eat or drink during daylight hours. But it makes a really good reason to speculate no work, eh?

:blink:

smee2

Since July is only a few days away, just thought I would mention the following...

Ramadan will begin on Monday 01 August and will continue for 30 days until Tuesday 30 August (tentative dates). All precise (local) times can only be confirmed upon the sighting of the new moon.

Like many religious observances, this holiday also begins at sunset of the previous day, so Muslims will begin observing Ramadan at the sunset of Sunday 31 July of this year in their local time.

Anyone who has lived in a Muslim country and/or tried to do business during this holy month will probably know what I’m about to state. Of course this is not the scenario for everyone and each occurrence, but due to my personal experiences, I’m just sayin’...

It would certainly be in the best interest of Iraq (and the rest of the world) for everything to be already moving forward or done prior to this time...unless it simply does not matter to them if there is an entire month of extremely limited or no activity.

I’m hoping this will be a motivating factor for all forward thinking people in Iraq who have the ability to make it happen.

Yes, businesses do continue to operate during Ramadan. However, when it comes to government offices, it is anything but "business as usual".

The everyday mañana mentality, which is translated in the ME as 'Inshallah' (if and/or when G-d wills it) is stretched to the max during Ramadan. Government offices do operate, but with reduced hours and much less is accomplished at this time.

So I re-state the obvious from my previous post: unless they are content to allow everything they have worked so hard to accomplish stagnate for an additional 30 days or more...I am hoping this will be the week to remember.