Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Americans Let Us Unite and Take back OUR Country

len

Excellent post Len...and as far as Charley Reese...I hearby nominate Him to be King of the new US of A.

I know this is the most common sense piece of journalism I have ever read.

Charley Reese’s final column for the
Orlando
Sentinel

He has been a journalist for 49 years.

He is retiring and this is HIS LAST COLUMN.

This is about as clear and easy to understand as it can be. The article below is completely party-neutral. Charlie Reese has hit the nail directly on the head, defining clearly who it is that, in the final analysis, must assume responsibility for the judgments made that impact each one of us every day. It's a short but good read. Worth the time. Worth remembering!

545 vs. 300,000,000 People - By Charlie Reese

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The President does.

You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

You and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one President, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a President to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits. The President can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House? John Boehner. He is the leader of the majority party. He and fellow House members, not the President, can approve any budget they want. If the President vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red.

If the Army & Marines are in
Iraq
and
Afghanistan
it's because they want them in Iraq and Afghanistan ...

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.

There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation," or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.

They and they alone, have the power.

They and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses.

Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees...

We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!

* * * End of Article * * *

Tax his land,

Tax his bed,

Tax the table,

At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,

Tax his mule,

Teach him taxes

Are the rule.

Tax his work,

Tax his pay,

He works for

peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow,

Tax his goat,

Tax his pants,

Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,

Tax his shirt,

Tax his work,

Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,

Tax his drink,

Tax him if he

Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,

Tax his beers,

If he cries

Tax his tears.

Tax his car,

Tax his gas,

Find other ways

To tax his ass.

Tax all he has

Then let him know

That you won't be done

Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;

Then tax him some more,

Tax him till

He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,

Tax his grave,

Tax the sod in

Which he's laid...

Put these words

Upon his tomb,

'Taxes drove me

to my doom...'

When he's gone,

Do not relax,

It’s time to apply

The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax

Building Permit Tax

CDL license Tax

Cigarette Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Dog License Tax

Excise Taxes

Federal Income Tax

Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)

Fishing License Tax

Food License Tax

Fuel Permit Tax

Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)

Gross Receipts Tax

Hunting License Tax

Inheritance Tax

Inventory Tax

IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)

Liquor Tax

Luxury Taxes

Marriage License Tax

Medicare Tax

Personal Property Tax

Property Tax

Real Estate Tax

Service Charge Tax

Social Security Tax

Road Usage Tax

Recreational Vehicle Tax

Sales Tax

School Tax

State Income Tax

State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)

Telephone Federal Excise Tax

Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax

Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes

Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax

Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax

Telephone State and Local Tax

Telephone Usage Charge Tax

Utility Taxes

Vehicle License Registration Tax

Vehicle Sales Tax

Watercraft Registration Tax

Well Permit Tax

Workers Compensation Tax

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, when our nation was the most prosperous in the world.

We had no national debt, the largest middle class in the world, and one salary was enough

to raise the kids. How will our nation regain the soundness and sanity we once knew?

with all of these it makes you wonder why the government always screaming broke, like the lottery for instance,isnt that suppose to be for education,hope scholarships, and to help the American people with public services? now they are cutting school programs and not helping our kids go to college, YES I SAY WE TAKE BACK AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Len,

As always you bring up a interesting issue and one with lots of energy behind it.

I can’t argue with anything that is written here BUT, two facts kind of make everything moot. Only 50% of potential Voters actually Vote. So unless you vote, then why are you complaining? How can we take something back if 50% of us aren’t even willing to get off the couch and pull the lever once a year?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781453.html

Granted, the Congress may hold the key to many of our troubles as they hold the control of the “purse”. Furthermore, I often hear people say, I’m going to vote out all the incumbents. If you study civics, the chairman (or as I like to say Chairperson) of the various committees holds the true “power”…they decide when, what and who is discussed in the various committees…and how much is spent. Guess how they get to be Chairperson, by seniority (and of course which party has the most members in Congress). Ever wonder how small states like West Virginia and Virginia received so much federal funds? Because they reelected the same people for 50 years! The new congressman has to ask permission to go pee pee from the chairperson!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_United_States_Congress_by_longevity_of_service

Bottomline: If you keep changing your congressman and senators, then you are in essence committing political suicide for your State/County.

As I’ve said more than once, until we get term limits on Congress, nothing will change. They will keep kissing Political Action Committee’s (PAC) backside. PAC puts up the money for re-election and the Congress votes the way the PAC wants them to vote.

Cut off the chance to re-elect via term limits and Congress should vote based on their party platform and on what stance they took during the election. Oh and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE VOTE!

That's my :twocents:

• Upvote 3

Sorry Tiffany; have to disagree with you about incumbants in the upcoming election. While what you say is true about seniority, the fiscal manner in which the politicians are running the country is absolutely irresponsible. You couldn't run your own household by borrowing money (and accruing more interest fees) to pay the interest on money that was previously borrowed, and they darn sure shouldn't be doing it with our money.

To top it all off, they have these little sweetheart deals called "earmarks" or "riders" where a bill which wouldn't have any chance of passing on it's own merits is attached to a bill that will pass, so it gets a free ride and passes as well. These riders are usually things that benefit a representative's home district and can be several million dollars. When you have all these people trying to be re-elected all the time, the amount of riders may be absolutely astounding. I'm sure there are some blocs in the senate and congress that play the "You vote for my bill and I'll vote for yours" game. I think it should be illegal. Remember that one of the reasons for the second ammendment (right to bear arms) is to control a tyrannical government.

With that in mind, anyone who is concerned about our country's future should increase that percentage that does vote by a heck of a lot and dump those incumbants that have gotten us into this predicament. If you love your country and want it to continue in the way the constitution intended, vote and get rid of the "Bad Guys".

IMHO, a constitutional scholar to lead us would be Dr. RON PAUL. He says that many laws on the books are illegal right now, and that he doesn't want the government to do rediculous stuff like regulating the light bulbs we are allowed to use or selling 50 square miles of Iowa to China, where they can come and go as they please with no inspections of what they are bringing to our country. Do you like that ?

Vote, but I sure hope it's for RON PAUL to get us out of this mess.

• Upvote 1

Tommyboy,

I think we are simply different sides of the same coin. We both know the "system is broke". What I'm saying is that under the current system, if the voter wants to get federal funding into his/her district, then they have to keep voting the same Bozo in. But you are correct, that the Bozos currently in have been living off the fat of the land. If you and I acted in the same manner, we would be sent off to jail. We need to fix the system!

I just get really depressed because I know my generation Y, is going to be stuck with the IOUs. Reminds me of Billy Joel's song, we didn't start the fire.

Oh hmmm...back to work so I can try to pay off the interest to the national debt! :(

Edited by Tiffany23

Tommyboy,

I think we are simply different sides of the same coin. We both know the "system is broke". What I'm saying is that under the current system, if the voter wants to get federal funding into his/her district, then they have to keep voting the same Bozo in. But you are correct, that the Bozos currently in have been living off the fat of the land. If you and I acted in the same manner, we would be sent off to jail. We need to fix the system!

I just get really depressed because I know my generation Y, is going to be stuck with the IOUs. Reminds me of Billy Joel's song, we didn't start the fire.

Oh hmmm...back to work so I can try to pay off the interest to the national debt! sad.gif

Just a side note: I have that on a CD and play it EVERY TIME I get in the car. Still don't have it memorized, though. Must be a senior thing.

Len,

As always you bring up a interesting issue and one with lots of energy behind it.

I can’t argue with anything that is written here BUT, two facts kind of make everything moot. Only 50% of potential Voters actually Vote. So unless you vote, then why are you complaining? How can we take something back if 50% of us aren’t even willing to get off the couch and pull the lever once a year?

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781453.html

Granted, the Congress may hold the key to many of our troubles as they hold the control of the “purse”. Furthermore, I often hear people say, I’m going to vote out all the incumbents. If you study civics, the chairman (or as I like to say Chairperson) of the various committees holds the true “power”…they decide when, what and who is discussed in the various committees…and how much is spent. Guess how they get to be Chairperson, by seniority (and of course which party has the most members in Congress). Ever wonder how small states like West Virginia and Virginia received so much federal funds? Because they reelected the same people for 50 years! The new congressman has to ask permission to go pee pee from the chairperson!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_United_States_Congress_by_longevity_of_service

Bottomline: If you keep changing your congressman and senators, then you are in essence committing political suicide for your State/County.

As I’ve said more than once, until we get term limits on Congress, nothing will change. They will keep kissing Political Action Committee’s (PAC) backside. PAC puts up the money for re-election and the Congress votes the way the PAC wants them to vote.

Cut off the chance to re-elect via term limits and Congress should vote based on their party platform and on what stance they took during the election. Oh and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE VOTE!

-_- *sighs* well....lets see...you say that 50% of the registered voters actually vote? i think its more than that. but to get to me point i'll leave it at 50 to be easy on the calculation.

okay so say that 50% of the registered voters vote. it doesn't help that 60% of those 50% are drones, who vote on the premise of what someone else told them that they should vote, without any real study of the candidates for themselves. basically they vote for them because their friends are voting for them. popular votes. also, including the drones that cant tell the difference between reality and the BS thats coming out of the candidates mouth.

that leave the 40% of the 50% that actually did their homework...and that a very small number. really sad...

my dad used to say that people vote for the candidate that can BS the best. i noticed over my life time that he was right. :(

however, than again....both candidates could be both morons...than you get stuck probably a blank vote. :(

Think outside the box and vote for someone who will really make a difference. My choice is RON PAUL, and he is a constituonal scholar who wants to revert to the articles of our original constitution. Does our country wanna be great again? Vote for RON PAUL. He says what he means through many years of political service and is devoted to enforcing the constitution.

Let me take that back a bit. I would like you to vote for RON PAUL, but please vote for whoever you heart tells you to; just vote. Read up about my favorite candidate and I'm sure you'll agree to vote with me. He'll win i a landslide.

Some research on your part may be required. (the disclaimer)

Think outside the box and vote for someone who will really make a difference. My choice is RON PAUL, and he is a constituonal scholar who wants to revert to the articles of our original constitution. Does our country wanna be great again? Vote for RON PAUL. He says what he means through many years of political service and is devoted to enforcing the constitution.

Let me take that back a bit. I would like you to vote for RON PAUL, but please vote for whoever you heart tells you to; just vote. Read up about my favorite candidate and I'm sure you'll agree to vote with me. He'll win i a landslide.

Some research on your part may be required. (the disclaimer)

Gotta agree there. I really think 2012 will be Ron Paul's year and with his track record and common sense thinking, he could be the change we're all looking for. I also think that 2012 will see a record turn out in voter registration. The people are slowly waking up...

Get ready for the "Great American Revolution" because its coming. I hope when it happens everyone of those crooks is physically removed from office. I truly understand what our forefathers fought for and am ready to stand up and die for our freedom once again.

I joined the Republic Of The United States because it was the only way I could peacefully tell the GOV to F-off. I signed papers that went to the World Court and to the FED GOV stating I am no longer recognizing them and all their bull-sh_t. It stated that I am a Natural Born Sovereign Citizen and will only recognize our constitution pre 14th amendment.

I really have a hard time grasping what these greedy power hungry Crookes are doing to this country especially when they are only supposed to have limited authority. They dont serve the people they serve themselves.

We all need to get up off our lazy fat asses and restore our country and our dignity. I guarantee we would have the support of the world.

Check it out if you have time I have gone to several local meetings with very good people who range from law enforcement to doctors to straight up Real People. http://www.republicfortheunitedstates.org/

P.S. You cant fix Washington its already broke. We need to start Fresh.

Edited by Dinarold eRVing

The Seventeenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads:

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.

When vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate, the executive authority of such State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided, That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct.

This amendment shall not be so construed as to affect the election or term of any Senator chosen before it becomes valid as part of the Constitution.

The Seventeenth Amendment, which was ratified in 1913, provided for the direct election of U.S. senators by citizens. Until 1913 state legislatures had elected U.S. senators. Ratification of the amendment followed decades of insistence that the power to elect senators should be placed in the hands of ordinary voters. This successful struggle marked a major victory for progressivism—the early twentieth-century political movement dedicated to pushing government at all levels toward reform. In addition to serving the longer-range goals of the reformers, the campaign on behalf of the amendment sought to end delays and what was widely perceived as corruption in the election of senators by state legislatures.

From 1787 until 1913, the U.S. Constitution specified that state legislatures would elect U.S. senators. Article 1, Section 3, reads:

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof, for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote.

In giving the elective power to the states, the framers of the Constitution hoped to protect state independence. The framers were suspicious of majority rule and sought to restrain what they regarded as the potentially destructive forces of democracy. Thus, while providing for direct election to the House of Representatives, they countered this expression of the people's will by allowing legislatures to select members of the Senate. At the Constitutional Convention, the proposal for state election of senators aroused no controversy. Only one proposal for senatorial election by popular vote was offered, and it was soundly defeated. The states were receptive and did not protest when the Constitution was sent to them for ratification. Nor, over the next decades, did the system incur more than occasional criticism.

The Seventeenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads:

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.

When vacancies happen in the representation of any State in the Senate, the executive authority of such State shall issue writs of election to fill such vacancies: Provided, That the legislature of any State may empower the executive thereof to make temporary appointments until the people fill the vacancies by election as the legislature may direct.

This amendment shall not be so construed as to affect the election or term of any Senator chosen before it becomes valid as part of the Constitution.

The Seventeenth Amendment, which was ratified in 1913, provided for the direct election of U.S. senators by citizens. Until 1913 state legislatures had elected U.S. senators. Ratification of the amendment followed decades of insistence that the power to elect senators should be placed in the hands of ordinary voters. This successful struggle marked a major victory for progressivism—the early twentieth-century political movement dedicated to pushing government at all levels toward reform. In addition to serving the longer-range goals of the reformers, the campaign on behalf of the amendment sought to end delays and what was widely perceived as corruption in the election of senators by state legislatures.

From 1787 until 1913, the U.S. Constitution specified that state legislatures would elect U.S. senators. Article 1, Section 3, reads:

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof, for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote.

In giving the elective power to the states, the framers of the Constitution hoped to protect state independence. The framers were suspicious of majority rule and sought to restrain what they regarded as the potentially destructive forces of democracy. Thus, while providing for direct election to the House of Representatives, they countered this expression of the people's will by allowing legislatures to select members of the Senate. At the Constitutional Convention, the proposal for state election of senators aroused no controversy. Only one proposal for senatorial election by popular vote was offered, and it was soundly defeated. The states were receptive and did not protest when the Constitution was sent to them for ratification. Nor, over the next decades, did the system incur more than occasional criticism.

Sorry for double post.

Computer operator issues. :blink:

Len,

http://www.infopleas...a/A0781453.html

http://en.wikipedia....vity_of_service

Tiff,

I vote so I can complain; however I'm posting someone else's work that I like. Voting out any political incumbent that vote for big money is a good start. The DC machine seems to corrupt all. Our fore fathers would roll over in their graves if they saw the current corrupt system we have. Bribes and "quid pro quo" are rampant and the only way to start any change, is to send DC a message by turning over at least the major offenders.

I agree term limits is an effective start but it wont solve the current problems we have. what other system is set up so you can vote yourself a raise and opt out of medicare; and oh the best, 100% salary for life on retirement.

I just may run for public office if nothing else changes. LOL

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the post Len. Electing a president that will go on a mission to clean things up in 2012 is probably the last chance we have.When average people start putting down the picket signs and working there way into the system, true change will happen.

Edited by 40oz
  • Upvote 1

Two points.

1) Quite beeing so easy to pander too. You control that.

2) Think in terms, How many times can you do the same thing and expect a different result. (i.ee) Term limets for EVERY elected offical.

Quite worring about which party gets the blame. The blame is in the mirror!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The robot said that.