Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Ban on female genital mutilation passed

Ban on female genital mutilation passed

23/06/2011 11:21

Erbil, June 23 (AKnews) - For the first time in Iraqi Kurdistan women are protected by a new law against some of the traditions most harmful towards them.

Yesterday the regional parliament ratified a bill banning female genital mutilation and domestic violence. This is a landmark law in a region that is more steeped in such practices than surrounding countries.

Female circumcision, where the clitoris and hood, and sometimes the labia, are cut away, is particularly commonly in rural areas. A German-Iraqi study conducted in 2007/08 showed more than 77 percent of female interviewees aged 14 and over in the Kurdish province of Sulaimaniyah had undergone the procedure.

The new law lays out the penalty for encouraging female genital mutilation as 3 to 6 years imprisonment or a IQD 1 million ($860) fine. Those who carry out the operation will be sentenced to 3 to 5 years or a fine equal to IQD 5 million ($4300). If they are medical practitioners they will be banned from working for three years.

The demanding of dowry payments, forced marriage, arranged marriages for young women to men many years their elder and forcing women into prostitution are also outlawed by the new law.

It is not clear how a law, seeking to stop a practice, such as genital mutilation, that is not carried out though official means, will be enforced.

Kurdistan's health minister, Taher Hawrami, said authorities are distributing posters to promote awareness, but he said religious leaders should do more to end the practice.

"The clerics should take on the main role. People need to have better understanding of religion in order to give up this phenomenon."

There are also many issues that are not covered by bill. Payman Abdul-Kareem, a member of the parliamentary committee for women and children’s affairs said: ‘When a woman is divorced, she does not have anywhere to go and is often mistreated.

“There ought to be social welfare safety nets to cope with this.”

Human Rights Watch (HRW) released a report last year that showed there are at least four factors driving the prevalence of genital mutilation: a link to Kurdish identity, a religious imperative, social pressure, and an attempt to control a woman's sexuality.

The practice is often carried out at home and by people without medical training. When not done properly the girls, who are often as young as ten, can have lasting damage and in extreme cases die from loss of blood or infection.

By Hemn Hadi and Patrick Smith

LH/PS

http://www.aknews.com/en/aknews/4/248087/

• Upvote 1

This happens in most African countries too ..... It has just put me off my lunch thinking about it

Sorry... I was happy to see this law come through and wanted to share it. I have daughters and can't imagine this horrible act on any precious little girl. The people who practice this are monsters.

• Upvote 7

Sorry... I was happy to see this law come through and wanted to share it. I have daughters and can't imagine this horrible act on any precious little girl. The people who practice this are monsters.

WELL SAID K98-----I HAVE THREE GIRLS

Edited by HYDRANT
  • Upvote 3

I read about this a few times and there was a whole section in one of the issues in National Geographic...torture! Barbaric! Pictuers of young girl,s being held down!

It made me sick. Cannot imagine. Even though the law is passed, I have to wonder with the mindset that so many of them have over there and in Africa, that this will still go on secretly.. At least this is a step in the right direction. I pray for all women in these countries. Really do.

No need to apologise K98 .... i think its disgusting too, how could they do that to their children....

• Upvote 1

Hard for me to understand the why of doing this. It is really beyond my comprehension.

I am fairly sure those saying SICK are more or less like me!

It's yet another way to control and make subservient the female... Sexual stimulation for the female is seen as not godly. Plus the men are so insecure about women having ANY power or freedom, they go so far as to rob them of their ability to be sexual beings. They use everything in their culture to control and beat down women... even going so far as to convince the adult women that this procedure is sanctioned by Allah as part of their spiritual lives. Total control is what these men are about... it's just sick and pathetic. They should force them to cut their penises off.... with a rusty bread knife.

The entire middle east should be paved over and made into one big American oil refinery. JMO... lol

• Upvote 5

The entire middle east should be paved over and made into one big American oil refinery. JMO... lol

I can see that happening if they dont hurry up and RV their damn currency ....... this waiting game is killing me .... I thought I was a patient person !!!

• Upvote 1

yeah, horrible.

and it's different when we cut the head off our

boy's *&^% --

and when we do this, rather

than it being a sign of how "men are so insecure about women having ANY power or freedom"

this is suppose to be 'sign' of ??? for our males....does it make them more powerful or less?

sorry, just a thought....

morning thoughts.....with coffee.....

This barbaric practice reminds me of the Chinese foot breaking of young girls... what a travesty. Well... once again K98nights.... your keeping it real. mellow.gif Sobering but real!

They should force them to cut their penises off.... with a rusty bread knife.

Gee... ain't seen you this worked up in a while! Take a deep breath now, hopefully and prayerfully it will all work out, and yeah, I agree it sucks in the meantime. dry.gif

You said it! Couldn't agree more!!

This is one of the things that get me about this religion of 'peace'. In the koran it talks about a man should 'beat his woman softly'. Controlling their women is viewed as 'loving them'. Having your children take part in blood letting cerimonies is considered religious devotion as they make themselves blood messes with razor blades. Then if you want some real interesting input go the Hadith or the Writings of Mohammad.