Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Malaki

Xuk

BAGHDAD — In a dramatic revelation after a series of major security breaches, Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki has linked the assassinations of security officials to his government and said a "militia" of more than 400 men had been set up within the Interior Ministry, answerable only to an outside political figure he didn't name.

Speaking before his Cabinet in a live television broadcast late Tuesday, Maliki said "investigations, investigating committees and confessions" had indicated that assassinations were carried out using "government weapons, government cars and government IDs."

Some operations "have been done under the cover of some officials, in some ministries," he said, without going into detail.

"It's one thing to face an enemy that doesn't have real capabilities," he said. "But if the enemy is within your lines, and doesn't believe in the political process, the enemy will take benefit from government facilities to carry out these actions."

Maliki blamed the country's continuing insecurity on political interference in the security ministries during the period after the March 2010 elections, when Iraq's politicians were arguing about forming a government. "What happened of late is a clear reflection of the confusion in the political process," he said.

"Those who have destroyed the Ministries of the Interior and Defense are we, the (political) parties, who come with a list and tell the officials, 'Employ these people.' "

Maliki said he found a list of 470 names that "one person," whom he didn't name, had presented to the Interior Ministry for hiring. "And they were employed!" he declared. "That means he formed a militia inside the ministry."

The individual in question had just been released from jail, where he'd been held on terrorism allegations, the prime minister said. He didn't identify the person, and government spokesman Ali al Dabbagh didn't respond to requests to elaborate.

Maliki had pledged May 11 to launch a thorough investigation of the Interior Ministry after al Qaida in Iraq terrorism suspects tried a few days earlier to break out of the main Interior Ministry compound in downtown Baghdad. He said that "connivance ... collaboration" and "infiltration" had led to the escape attempt, which resulted in the deaths of six police officers and 11 of the suspects.

In January, 12 detainees linked to al Qaida in Iraq escaped from a fortified prison in the southern city of Basra.

The prime minister put at least some of the blame for the security breaches — and possibly for attacks on Iraqi and U.S. forces — on the vast number of security guards, who are a feature of life now in Baghdad.

In an exchange with an unnamed security official who was attending the meeting, Maliki said that Iraqi authorities had found a wide range of illegal weapons in the arsenals of foreign security companies, many of which were within Baghdad's international zone, known during the period of the U.S. occupation as the "Green Zone."

The weapons included 53 improvised explosive devices as well as "hundreds of unauthorized weapons, sniper rifles, silencers and forged (identity) cards."

The security official, defending his work, said, "We closed the security companies whose contracts had expired, and they left the Green Zone after we confiscated their weapons."

Maliki responded: "Do the same thing with security companies outside the Green Zone."

The prime minister also chided politicians and ministers in his government for having vast security entourages — up to 50 vehicles, in some cases — and he said he'd shortly announce a maximum number of guards permitted.

Currently, he said, the Interior Ministry has provided 16,652 bodyguards to its officials and the Ministry of Defense has allotted 17,500.

"We believe that the need to increase guards has ended," he said. "That doesn't mean the director or minister should move without protection," he said, but that protection should be at the "old way," he said without being specific.

Some of the blame for the country's insecurity lies in the continuing battle between Maliki and politician Ayad Allawi after Allawi's Iraqiya List won a plurality of seats in the 2010 elections over the prime minister's Rule of Law bloc.

The two men agreed in December on a power-sharing arrangement that would give Allawi a key role in security policy, a breakthrough that established the new government. But a continuing disagreement over the government's composition and policies has resulted in Maliki himself taking the reins of the Interior and Defense ministries.

The prime minister's acknowledgement that "we, the parties" had helped destroy the security ministries was a sign of candor that's long been missing in most discussions of Iraq's security situation.

A major element of Maliki's message to the public was aimed at his fellow politicians, including those in his own Cabinet. "I hope those who can hear me will not be involved in the police and army," he said.

(Hammoudi is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

MORE FROM MCCLATCHY

U.S. congressional delegation sets off political IED in Iraq

U.S. lawmakers, Iraq's Maliki clash over killing of Iranians

Iraq's Chalabi, who sought invasion, now wants U.S. out

Close aide to Iraq's Chalabi assassinated

Iraq's Sadrists stage mass rally to demand total U.S. withdrawal

After April massacre, U.S. seeks to relocate Iranian militants in Iraq

Iraq's Maliki: al Qaida jailbreak attempt was inside job

Xuk... awesome article Thanks!

I am divided on this. It would be awesome if Maliki is truly exposing this and breaks it up. As I don't trust a word he says it could be another cover up of his own actions. This could be what Allawi was about to expose on M. Hmmmm.... in any case this is a win against corruption. That is our main enemy in this RV ride aside from the stupid politicians. Funny how they are sooooo linked together.

Iraq may have gotten pawned by Iran provided that the whole story is true....

or Maliki could have issued the assassinations and uses this story to divert attention from himself?

hehehehe....

One thing for sure, its a mess....good job GOI way to help instill investor confidence....

We should have kept Paul Bremer's position govna of iraq, planted our flag, establish what we want, and then gradually turn the country over to them over the course of a couple of generations once we teach them our way of messing things up!! :lol:

I know I'm going to eat crow for this. Maliki is our man. I began asking some former military friends about this when the assassinations began, all said and agreed it had to be an inside job or military sponsored. Silenced weapons are not easily gotten they are not accurate LONG range either. The jobs were up close and personal as they were pistol rounds so that indicates Personal Trust or a professional hit. we put Maliki in there TWICE. Wait, Watch Take a deep breath. Peace.

• Upvote 4

I know I'm going to eat crow for this. Maliki is our man, we put him in there TWICE. Wait, Watch and take a deep breath. JMO. Peace.

I agree with you 100%. US stands behind him. I believe that.

Although sometimes he makes me a bit nervous because I think we maybe losing him but like you say take a deep breath and let it play out.

These waters are murky....

I know I'm going to eat crow for this. Maliki is our man. I began asking some former military friends about this when the assassinations began, all said and agreed it had to be an inside job or military sponsored. Silenced weapons are not easily gotten they are not accurate LONG range either. The jobs were up close and personal as they were pistol rounds so that indicates Personal Trust or a professional hit. we put Maliki in there TWICE. Wait, Watch. Peace.

This is why it surprises me that Sadr is trying to work with him since Sadr HATES us. That man (Sadr) has ice in his viens and is armed to the teeth under his dress. He worries me the most.

This is why it surprises me that Sadr is trying to work with him since Sadr HATES us. That man (Sadr) has ice in his viens and is armed to the teeth under his dress. He worries me the most.

Fear not, I guarantee our folks have Sadr in their sites for when the time is right for him to take a dirt nap.

• Upvote 3

To be honest who really knows who is responsible or at fault. This news comes at an opportune time. Didnt we read the news about Malaki wanting to charge Allawi with treason once he left the country?

It could very well be our 3 letter company who is behind the plots as well. With Iraq being a tribal country whose factions cannot be trusted to get along it would only make sense to me that we would force our hand to get our way. We picked this country to engage and occupy for certain reasons and there is no way we would let tribal clerics dictate or corrupt what we want to accomplish.

Fear not, I guarantee our folks have Sadr in their sites for when the time is right for him to take a dirt nap.

BanG has it spot on. Sadr can't be allowed to continue to have an Iranian backed militia running rampant in Iraq.

His days are numbered. I just hope the existence of his pathetic little army doesn't delay an rv. As a fighting force, they're pretty pathetic.The only problem is they are terrorists and are only interested in causing instability. They are idealogs that care nothing about the sufferings of the Iraqi people or the prosperous potential of their country.

A few guys with bombs and guns can really screw things up. Just read the Iraq daily news. Not a day goes by that dozens of people aren't killed by explosions or a half dozen cops are killed in a shootout. Iraq must be secure before tens of thousands of foreigners go there to help build the new Iraq! Look at link. Constant chaos!

http://en.aswataliraq.info/Default1.aspx?page=category_page&c=47

It is hard to believe anything they are doing over there. Straight up mafia style "hits" on people, intimidation(and most often times killing) bombs at certain groups not following the group.. It is not suprising that there was a hired militia(aka mafia) inside their own government ready to do the "job" when requested. Easy in, easy out without witnesses.

With Sadr, atleast he is out in the open again. If some group decides he is too dangerous, he will definitely find a permanent residence under the great expanses of sand they have(Las Vegas mafia style). While he is definitely a "radical" with a following(of sheeple), Sadr can motivate these very religious, hungry, and despondent people to do his will. We only get snippets of what is really going on with him. He might be trying to upset the balance(okay, there is no balance) between the political/econimcal elite and the illiterate/poor.

-lionfish

Bang, you just said the same thing my son in law said when he got back from there. He was on the first wave going in when there was no water, no place to sleep and not place to hide much. He was a 50 cal gunner on a hum v then came home and went back to afgan 9 months later. He said we had him in a sights many times but was forbidden to shoot.

Bang, you just said the same thing my son in law said when he got back from there. He was on the first wave going in when there was no water, no place to sleep and not place to hide much. He was a 50 cal gunner on a hum v then came home and went back to afgan 9 months later. He said we had him in a sights many times but was forbidden to shoot.

I hope he is well m8, you can rest easy for now I'm sure Sadr is serving a purpose to the US. As for the folks of our Armed forces, snap your fingers and I'm SURE Sadr is a dead man as well as his pups. Our folks are the best in the world and I cannot praise them enough for their sacrifice. Peace.

• Upvote 1

One of my good friends from H.S. that went to a neighboring school did two tours over there.

Remember that 52-deck of cards that was released after 9/11? He was responsible for taking one of them out.

He even got to keep the turbin. Which I thought was odd.

He had many stories to tell, but, a lot of it got graphic. He went in when it was hot (Hot as in.. dangerous).

Ever since, I've more than just gave respect to those individuals. I understand a little bit better the sacrifice.

One of my good friends from H.S. that went to a neighboring school did two tours over there.

Remember that 52-deck of cards that was released after 9/11? He was responsible for taking one of them out.

He had many stories to tell, but, a lot of it got graphic. He went in when it was hot (Hot as in.. dangerous).

Ever since, I've more than just gave respect to those individuals. I understand a little bit better the sacrifice.

Funny you mention that. Just the other day I was showing my two boys the original deck I have that was given to us back in 03 when I was with JSOTF in BIAP. Have them shrink wrapped and am gonna pass them down. Should be worth something someday.

At one time, a while ago I admit, I was under the impression that part of the RV happening would be dependent upon the Iraqi's being able to ensure peace and security in their own country. Silly me.

From the look of things now, that would never happen.

So, how much corruption, violence, death and destruction is allowable and still have the RV happen? If they have not overdone that limit, why hasn't it happened? I thought the prime reason for an RV was the betterment of the people of Iraq, through ease of trade and a better standing in world financial affairs, not simply for the investors like us who are waiting not so patiently.

As far as Maliki owning up to this happening in his own government I don't for a moment believe he is innocent or unaware or making any great sacrifice. I think this is just more of the ethnic ethic of lying your butt off and if you are caught then start lying in another direction. It seems to have been the way of the entire country for some time ... perhaps the entire middle east. Man, they really do have totally different ethics and "realities" than we do in the west.

<_<

smee2

At one time, a while ago I admit, I was under the impression that part of the RV happening would be dependent upon the Iraqi's being able to ensure peace and security in their own country. Silly me.

From the look of things now, that would never happen.

So, how much corruption, violence, death and destruction is allowable and still have the RV happen? If they have not overdone that limit, why hasn't it happened? I thought the prime reason for an RV was the betterment of the people of Iraq, through ease of trade and a better standing in world financial affairs, not simply for the investors like us who are waiting not so patiently.

As far as Maliki owning up to this happening in his own government I don't for a moment believe he is innocent or unaware or making any great sacrifice. I think this is just more of the ethnic ethic of lying your butt off and if you are caught then start lying in another direction. It seems to have been the way of the entire country for some time ... perhaps the entire middle east. Man, they really do have totally different ethics and "realities" than we do in the west.

<_<

smee2

I'm going to apply a western way of thinking here.

When you think of a city, where does the most crime occur?

Low-income areas, right?

When you think of a city, where does the least amount of crime occur?

High-income areas, right?

Now don't be fooled. Just because you are from a rich-area does not eliminate that person from committing crime, it is just that the frequency is reduced.

It is the argument that all countries have to deal with corruption, just some more than others.

Okay, so if the R/V were to switch Iraq from being considered that low-income area to the high-income area, would it not be Logical that crime would be reduced?

Here's my take:

It'll solve some issues and bring prosperity, but it is "unknown" what new problems will arise. They'll have to be dealth with accordingly.

So it did RV for $5.35? So much information I can't remember the rate and date that was given. Just kidding!

No....it will rv over the next 48 hours, and the rate will be between $6-$8 USD/IQD. Most should be able to start cashing in no later than Monday! Dont forget to write this down in your calendars...just so you dont forget. Im sorry that I am unable to be more precise in on the details of the rate, but I promise to pass more along IF I get any further details! My source has three letters...not three initials though! LOL! OH Yeah...almost forgot....my source is absolutely unable to lie, and therefore is "The Perfect Source"! Blessings to All! Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Real Heroes.....