Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

GOP Rep.: Iraq should repay the U.S. for war

DRV1804

* GOP Rep.: Iraq should repay the U.S. for war

June 10th, 2011 12:50 pm · Posted in NEWS (Iraq & World Currency)

Friday, June 10th, 2011

BAGHDAD (AFP) – A US congressman called on Friday for Iraq to repay a portion of the “mega-dollars” that Washington has spent since the overthrow of Saddam Hussein in 2003, at a news conference in Baghdad.

Republican representative Dana Rohrabacher’s remarks stand in stark contrast to those by senior American officials, including most recently CIA chief Leon Panetta, who has said the United States should seriously consider any Iraqi request for US troops to stay beyond a year-end deadline for their departure.

“Once Iraq becomes a very rich and prosperous country… we would hope that some consideration be given to repaying the United States some of the mega-dollars that we have spent here in the last eight years,” Rohrabacher told journalists at the US embassy in Baghdad.

“We were hoping that there would be a consideration of a payback because the United States right now is in close to a very serious economic crisis and we could certainly use some people to care about our situation as we have cared about theirs.”

He said he raised the issue in a meeting with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki. Rohrabacher, a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee in the US House of Representatives, declined to give specifics on how much should be paid back, or over what timeframe.

Rohrabacher added that the same principle held for Libya, saying: “If the Libyans for example are willing to help pay, compensate the United States, for what we would spend in helping them through this rough period, that’s one way to do it.”

“And once Iraq is prosperous… paying back some of the expenditures that we’ve had helping them establish democracy would be much appreciated,” he said.

Around 45,000 American troops are still stationed in Iraq, mostly tasked with training and equipping their Iraqi counterparts.

All US troops must withdraw from the country by the end of the year, according to the terms of a security pact, but US officials have been pressing Baghdad to decide quickly whether or not it wants an extension.

Rohrabacher was leading a bipartisan US congressional delegation on a visit to Iraq, primarily to look into a raid by Iraqi security forces in April on the Ashraf camp housing thousands of exiled Iranians in which at least 35 camp residents died.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/06/10/gop-rep-iraq-should-care-about-our-situation-as-we-have-cared-about-theirs/?

• Upvote 3

I would hope the RV would be exactly what he is talking about.........................

this posting makes it sound like the govt. doesnt even have dinar. If they did and new an rv would take care if it, I think they could have pressured the iraqi gov. into the rv already. I hope im wrong cause i have a shitload invested and am waiting for the rv/

• Upvote 1

I think this guy should know the deal, from his BIO. Hopefully he is applying pressure.

Currently serving his 12th term in Congress, Dana Rohrabacher represents California's scenic 46th District. Stretching along the Pacific coastline of Orange County and Los Angeles from Huntington Beach to the Palos Verdes Peninsula, the district includes Huntington Beach, Costa Mesa, Fountain Valley, Seal Beach, Santa Catalina Island, Midway City, Sunset Beach, Surfside, Rancho Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills, Palos Verdes Estates and Rolling Hills Estates as well as portions of Long Beach, Westminster, Santa Ana and San Pedro, and Newport Beach.

As Chairman of the Oversight and Investigation Subcommittee of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Rohrabacher is a most forceful spokesman for human rights and democracy around the world. For example, during the 110th Congress, Rep. Rohrabacher championed the effort to boycott the 2008 Beijing Olympics by introducing a resolution to that effect emphasizing China's litany of human rights violations. Rohrabacher is also committed to securing our borders and a staunch opponent of amnesty for illegal immigrants. During his tenure as Chairman, one of his first priorities was to investigate the U.N. Oil for Food program and potential foreign influence in the Oklahoma City Bombing. Rep. Rohrabacher will continue to look into technology transfer issues, visa policies practiced by the State Department, Chinese proliferation of nuclear weapons technology as well as other volatile areas of concern such as the massive cultivation of opium poppies in Afghanistan. As a senior member of the International Relations Committee, Rohrabacher led the effort to deny Most Favored Nation trading status to Communist China, citing the rogue nation's dismal human rights record and opposition to democracy.

Rohrabacher is a strong voice for lower government spending and taxes. His record of fiscal restraint and pro-growth policies has won him acclaim from the National Taxpayers Union, Citizens Against Government Waste, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the National Federation of Independent Business.

Past Accomplishments

Rohrabacher served as Chairman of the Subcommittee on Space and Aeronautics from 1997 to January 2005, having been given a two-year waiver to serve beyond the normal six-year term limit. His final achievement as chairman was to secure the enactment of his Commercial Space Launch Amendments Act, signed into law by President Bush on December 23, 2004. The law clears the way for small and middle-sized entrepreneurs to build commercial space passenger vehicles and bolsters private sector participation in space travel.

Rohrabacher led efforts in the 104th and 105th Congresses to restore the intellectual property rights of American inventors legislated away with the implementation of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT), authoring the Patent Term Restoration Act.

The 46th congressional district is the birthplace of California's Proposition 187, a reform initiative which removes illegal aliens from the state's welfare and education rolls. Rohrabacher inspired the grassroots movement and, as a principal congressional spokesman for Prop. 187, framed the debate that led to the passage of the popular measure.

Prior to his first election to Congress in 1988, Dana served as Special Assistant to President Reagan. For seven years he was one of the President's senior speechwriters. During his tenure at the White House, Rohrabacher played a pivotal role in the formulation of the Reagan Doctrine and in championing the cause of a strong national defense. He also helped formulate President Reagan's Economic Bill of Rights, a package of economic reforms that the President introduced in a historic speech before the Jefferson Memorial.

Rohrabacher's roots in Orange County run deep. He attended elementary school locally and during his college days, he resided in Sunset Beach. Prior to joining Ronald Reagan's White House staff, he was an editorial writer for the Orange County Register. Rohrabacher was born June 21, 1947, in Coronado, California. He graduated from Palos Verdes High School, attended Harbor Junior College and received his bachelor degree in history from Long Beach State College in 1969. He received his master's degree in American Studies from the University of Southern California. In 1997, he married his wife, Rhonda, and in 2004, they became parents of triplets, Annika, Tristen, and Christian.

Committee Assignments

Congressman Rohrabacher serves as Chairman of the Investigations and Oversight Subcommittee of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs and is a senior member on the House Committee on Science. Click here to learn more.

http://rohrabacher.house.gov/Biography/

* GOP Rep.: Iraq should repay the U.S. for war

June 10th, 2011 12:50 pm · Posted in NEWS (Iraq & World Currency)

Friday, June 10th, 2011

BAGHDAD (AFP) – A US congressman called on Friday for Iraq to repay a portion of the “mega-dollars” that Washington has spent since the overthrow of Saddam Hussein in 2003, at a news conference in Baghdad.

Republican representative Dana Rohrabacher’s remarks stand in stark contrast to those by senior American officials, including most recently CIA chief Leon Panetta, who has said the United States should seriously consider any Iraqi request for US troops to stay beyond a year-end deadline for their departure.

“Once Iraq becomes a very rich and prosperous country… we would hope that some consideration be given to repaying the United States some of the mega-dollars that we have spent here in the last eight years,” Rohrabacher told journalists at the US embassy in Baghdad.

“We were hoping that there would be a consideration of a payback because the United States right now is in close to a very serious economic crisis and we could certainly use some people to care about our situation as we have cared about theirs.”

He said he raised the issue in a meeting with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki. Rohrabacher, a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee in the US House of Representatives, declined to give specifics on how much should be paid back, or over what timeframe.

Rohrabacher added that the same principle held for Libya, saying: “If the Libyans for example are willing to help pay, compensate the United States, for what we would spend in helping them through this rough period, that’s one way to do it.”

“And once Iraq is prosperous… paying back some of the expenditures that we’ve had helping them establish democracy would be much appreciated,” he said.

Around 45,000 American troops are still stationed in Iraq, mostly tasked with training and equipping their Iraqi counterparts.

All US troops must withdraw from the country by the end of the year, according to the terms of a security pact, but US officials have been pressing Baghdad to decide quickly whether or not it wants an extension.

Rohrabacher was leading a bipartisan US congressional delegation on a visit to Iraq, primarily to look into a raid by Iraqi security forces in April on the Ashraf camp housing thousands of exiled Iranians in which at least 35 camp residents died.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/06/10/gop-rep-iraq-should-care-about-our-situation-as-we-have-cared-about-theirs/?

That about sums it up.....Guess this war did cost us more than good soldiers lives. So much for the war won't cost america anything.....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I was down in Van turkey just about 5 years ago.

A few Iraqis there since its near the border.

They had nothing good to say about the USA invasion or occupation,,saying we were never asked by the Iraqi people to do this.

I was in the Military doing the Gulf war, the Saudis wanted to pay us from what I was told from preventing Saddam from crossing over into KSA.

USA came back and said we are not paid mercenaries and declined the offer.

Instead we were all given the Kuwait Liberation medal which is quite impressive from the Saudis.

The award and medal we received from the Kuwait government looked really cheap and not worth displaying.

I am sure some Desert /Shield/Storm vets here can confirm this.

Good luck with this congressman seeking this,,but its all smoke and mirrors.

Reimurse the US, wait, didn't we invade them?

That is like having to pay someone because they kicked your a$$

Yes. And this is one idiotic congressman, Rohranbacher, making the comment. It is not the government - it is one egotistical, useless representative. I know, he was my rep.

Reimurse the US, wait, didn't we invade them?

That is like having to pay someone because they kicked your a$

Just think what would have happened if the Germans were to have invade them. They would have hauled them off to FEMA camps and that would have been it. :D

Yes. And this is one idiotic congressman, Rohranbacher, making the comment. It is not the government - it is one egotistical, useless representative. I know, he was my rep.

I think that idiotic congressman has a point. Look at all the money we have spent trying to put in a Democracy. Then we had to fight off these insurgents until they are down to a semi safe level.

If these Arabs and other countries ever want us to help them remove a nutty Dictator again. They better make it worth our while.

• Downvote 1

Anyone who has an idea of how these people are should know that going over there and saying this in the press is not smart.

These people are beyond prideful in my opinion, completely stubborn, ignorant in many ways, and they truly hate us...(just because they need you or they like our pop culture doesn't mean they like us - ironic isn't it?)

So even though I agree with the congressman that Iraq needs to pay up, that's not something you just go and say to their face.

For an Iraqi to see this story would be about the same difference as me sitting back and laughing at an article months ago about some Baghdad city council man spewing out how the U.S. needs to pay for the reconstruction of Baghdad.

Its all just big talk from another idiot politician who is unaware of how things work...

The U.S. Embassy needs to tell him shut his trap.

• Upvote 1

Geez, that doesn't look good at all. That doesn't seem like our gov is counting on an RV, it seems like they are counting on Iraq to reimburse them.

exactly, this should be proof there is no "plan" and there never was, If Iraq RVs it will have nothing to do with our government....

P.S. I love how any story that doesnt point toward a RV is "smoke and mirrors" but every story that gives hope is treated as downright fact

Bottom line...We trashed their country. We are obligated to rebuild it.

this posting makes it sound like the govt. doesnt even have dinar. If they did and new an rv would take care if it, I think they could have pressured the iraqi gov. into the rv already. I hope im wrong cause i have a shitload invested and am waiting for the rv/

The Iraqis showed an interest in paying the cost of a US presence in Iraq after the dead line for withdrawal expires. They want some stability for a long time to come.

• Upvote 1

I think this could be seen as good news. This guy is stating over and over that Iraq will be a rich nation...he KNOWS that already. You simply don't have a rich nation with a worthless currency. He seems like he is just putting himself in line for some hard earned cash once this all goes down. Nothing wrong with being in the front of the line when a well deserved paycheck is being handed out right? JMO...GO RV!!!

Just think what would have happened if the Germans were to have invade them. They would have hauled them off to FEMA camps and that would have been it. :D

I think that idiotic congressman has a point. Look at all the money we have spent trying to put in a Democracy. Then we had to fight off these insurgents until they are down to a semi safe level.

Insurgents? Hussein has Iran checked. We opened the flood gates due to a very poor plan, or no plan. Iran must be thrilled with our stupidity.

If these Arabs and other countries ever want us to help them remove a nutty Dictator again. They better make it worth our while.

Did they ask us to invade? And we did that out of the goodness of our heart. We did it for oil. Democracy, yes, so we can control them more to our liking. Democracy is not as expensive as a war. Call it what is it and don't get confused.

Oh, by the way. Darfur called last week. They would like an invasion. Has anyone gotten back to them yet? Oh, no resources. Sorry. Don't accept anymore collect calls from Darfur.

• Upvote 1