Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

MP: Sacking of Shalibi is move to take control of JAC

MP: Sacking of Shalibi is move to take control of JAC

09/06/2011 13:54

Baghdad, June 9 (AKnews) – An MP from the Sadrist wing of the ruling coalition today condemned Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s sacking of the head of the Justice and Accountability Commission (JAC) Ahmed Shalibi.

Jawad al-Jubbouri claimed that the replacement of Shalibi, an MP, with Mohammad Shayya, a member of the government, yesterday was a calculated move to bring the body closer to the government.

"Linking the JAC to the cabinet may affect the professionalism and independence of this institution. The parliament must be the source of the appropriate person to manage this body,” he said.

"The issue was passed this way because the parliament is on vacation, but after the latter resumes its work then it will discuss this issue in one of the urgent meetings and will name a president for the body depending on the level of professionalism."

Jubbouri told AKnews that the move goes against decisions made in parliament to ensure that independent bodies, such as the JAC, are linked to the legislature and not the cabinet.

JAC secretary Muzaffar al-Battat also implied the appointment is a politically motivated one.

"Was it done to secure the position of the Prime Minister, or is it a push towards the reconciliation project?" he asked rhetorically.

Shalibi garnered criticism this week after he called for the U.S. troops to be pulled out of Iraq. He also clashed with the government when Maliki blocked an aid ship bound for protesters in Bahrain, which was organized by Shalibi.

Shalibi had only been the figurehead of the organization, with Ali al-Lami, the chief executive, managing its everyday running. But Lami was assassinated on May 26 and Shalibi took up the reins.

The JAC is responsible for ensuring that no members of the former Baath regime hold positions in the current administration. There have been claims that many of its moves to bar people from participation have been politically motivated.

However, there are fears that if it is put under the control of those loyal to the government the politicization of the body would be increased.

By Yazn al-Shemmari

RN\PS

http://www.aknews.com/en/aknews/4/245559/

How embarrassing for Shalibi, getting fired for not doing your job! Especially by the King of Do Nothing....Maliki himself! Hang your head in shame.....lol. Always something interesting going on over there. :lol: Go RV!!

You almost had a stoke? AT WHAT ??!!

I have to blame that typo on my bad glasses, you know, the ones that need changing? Or maybe I can blame it on the STROKE that I almost had. Sheesh! ... some days it doesn't pay to turn on the computer!

:)

smee2

Hydrant,

Why would anyone say Maliki does nothing. It show's somone's inability to understand a different culture. In addition to being the PM there is some added difficulty in a country just out of war. These leaders in the middle east have demonstrated democracy to the Arab world. Their lives are at risk daily. First is to stay alive figure out who to trust, not die and then work to make effective policy! Time to be patient and allow the revolution of the middle east to gain some stability!

• Upvote 1

Hydrant,

Why would anyone say Maliki does nothing. It show's somone's inability to understand a different culture. In addition to being the PM there is some added difficulty in a country just out of war. These leaders in the middle east have demonstrated democracy to the Arab world. Their lives are at risk daily. First is to stay alive figure out who to trust, not die and then work to make effective policy! Time to be patient and allow the revolution of the middle east to gain some stability!

Eloquently said!smile.gif

I have to blame that typo on my bad glasses, you know, the ones that need changing? Or maybe I can blame it on the STROKE that I almost had. Sheesh! ... some days it doesn't pay to turn on the computer!

:)

smee2

That's ok Smee.. for a second there I thought you said you were blaming the typo on "bad gasses" lmao! :lol:

• Upvote 1