Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Does Spelling really matter?

Candinar

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Just too many people bashing for a spelling error, trivial isn't it.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Not everyone got to get in on Riddlin. If you had ADHD and dislecksia you where just placed in Special Ed. Today you get bashed on forums for it. It is too funny the only thought in their brainy head is your spelling or grammar. HEY!! BRAININESS, COMMENT ON THE SUBJECT AT HAND IF YOUR SO DAMN SMART!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I recall that this topic was addressed a few months ago...there are many reasons for misspelled words, and not all of the have to do with "intelligence". For instance, my mother came to the States from the Phillipines after WWII with my father who was from the States. My father remained in the service so the family traveled most of my life. My mother learned to speak English with us children as we grew up, however, she did not master the written part of the English language. She wrote phonetically, and still does to this day..another reason is to "put the blame on the computer". Those of us who have had a "good handle" on spelling, have lost some of that ability due to "spell check". For some reason, one cannot "spell check" on this site, hence, misspelled words (who really cares?) And too, people "make spelling mistakes" when they are writing something filled with emotion, we sure have had our share of that lately...I find that after I have written a post, there are run on sentences, misspelled words, no caps where there should be which I blame on the computer...you would think after all this time my computer would automatically correct my mistakes. :lol::lol::lol: Happy Day!!!

Edited by jbbdolphins
  • Upvote 1

Not everyone got to get in on Riddlin. If you had ADHD and dislecksia you where just placed in Special Ed. Today you get bashed on forums for it. It is too funny the only thought in their brainy head is your spelling or grammar. HEY!! BRAININESS, COMMENT ON THE SUBJECT AT HAND IF YOUR SO DAMN SMART!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually there is a study out now days that the people that did not get the medication are among the smartest people on the planet. doing things with their minds no other person in history, except those who we know now to also have had ADHD did in their time . Im 40 now and was in special Ed. in school and is it not funny that the new best way to teach is one on one training . who would have thunk

now i absorb knowledge in any form at such a high rate its hard sometimes to remember that the people that I work with have a disadvantage (no ADHD)laugh.giflaugh.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Just too many people bashing for a spelling error, trivial isn't it.

Does grooming really matter?

Like it or not, either way IT MAKES AN IMPRESSION about the individual.

Please familiarize yourselves with google tool bar. Just hit spell ck before sending.

There's a difference between typos and plain old "bad spelling" ...

TS

I believe in the RV; I don't believe in the cult.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Exactly.

If you were having a face to face conversation, of course your ability to spell or punctuate doesn't come into play as a factor.

But on a message board, where you are forced to endure spelling mistakes and grammatical errors AND PUNCTUATIONS AND SUCH HUH UH.....BECAUSE YOU CAN, then it makes it tiring to take in someone's post, much less give them credit for their thought or opinion.

Computers have all but replaced the need to write legibly, the least one can do is have some mastery of their own language. Almost 20% of the globe speaks English. The least you can do is type it out correctly.

• Upvote 1

You can spell check your post before you actually post it. What I have a hard time with sometimes is the lack of punctuation marks, IE: commas, periods, ect...

The man that invited spellcheck had ADHD. Also its original use was for the disabled.

Yes, unless you use an iPad and it's thinking tries to second-guess you and you don't catch it while proof reading...then it just happens, occasionally. But that means you should brush up on proof-reading......I mean I should brush up on MY proof-reading skills. I guess.

I could care less if the spelling is correct or incorrect, it's what is said that matters most. Not everyone in this world is created equal. Not everyone learns the same, on the same level of thinking, comprehension, etc..... Not everyone had the opportunity to grow up in the ideal situation for getting a good start in education, many factors play a part in a person's capabilities. I do not make fun of anyone or judge them trying to do their best because not everyones best is the same!

Peace!

• Upvote 2

The question is "Does spelling really matter"?.........First of all I am assuming that you are asking if correct spelling really matters. If you are refering to correct spelling then I would definately say yes it does matter. When we write we present ourselves to other people. This is similar to us presenting ourselves to other people in person. Making a honest effort to not only spell correctly but also use proper grammar and punctuation does really matter. It really matters like, presenting yourself with brushed teeth and fresh breath really matters. It really matters like, presenting yourself with clean clothing and combed hair really matters. These are the things we are taught to do in life, like taking out the trash, washing your car and all of the things that are just the right thing to do. I personally have poor sentence structure and could brush up on my grammer and punctuation. I prefer not to use spell check and if I think a word is not spelled correctly then I like to look it up in the dictionary. This being the case if time permit's. Anyway I enjoy writing and wish that I would have spent more time in school learning to write better. The bottom line, IMO, is to write to the best of your ability making a honest effort to present yourself well to other people. I think it is a matter of taking pride in yourself. It also makes America and the world a more beautiful place. Keep America Beautiful. RV ON!!!!!! Dinarhead out!

• Upvote 1

Many people care about "process", not just the "result" in many things that we do, myself included. It can be simply a matter of personal pride... and perhaps even responsibility, or obligation... to want to communicate comprehensibly. Personally, I appreciate the extra effort people put forth in that regard... it certainly helps to minimize "misunderstandings", especially in the email and texting world, which I'm certain we have all experienced. So, imagine... one comprehensive, thought-out message that may take a minute longer to write... versus the next four messages it might take to clear up the confusion. Perhaps, slow down... embrace the process... get out a dictionary once in a while. For those that don't care... that's fine, too. We are all different in what we care about. :)

Me, I care about the Mets. Lets GO METS!!!!

Edited by DaveH
messin with Jax the yankees fan
  • Upvote 3

I could care less if the spelling is correct or incorrect, it's what is said that matters most. Not everyone in this world is created equal. Not everyone learns the same, on the same level of thinking, comprehension, etc..... Not everyone had the opportunity to grow up in the ideal situation for getting a good start in education, many factors play a part in a person's capabilities. I do not make fun of anyone or judge them trying to do their best because not everyones best is the same!

Peace!

Well stated without one misspelled word................RV ON!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

I remember reading this study when it first came out ... it was published for the public in two places at once ... Psychology Today and the New York Times, I believe. Interesting work.

However, if all our words were mixed like that, it would be a different story than when just the occasonal well known word turns up wrong. It jars us out of our reading mode and makes us focus on the misspelled word. It hampers reading function and effectiveness.

Period.

smee2

The question is "Does spelling really matter"?.........First of all I am assuming that you are asking if correct spelling really matters. If you are refering to correct spelling then I would definately say yes it does matter. When we write we present ourselves to other people. This is similar to us presenting ourselves to other people in person. Making a honest effort to not only spell correctly but also use proper grammar and punctuation does really matter. It really matters like, presenting yourself with brushed teeth and fresh breath really matters. It really matters like, presenting yourself with clean clothing and combed hair really matters. These are the things we are taught to do in life, like taking out the trash, washing your car and all of the things that are just the right thing to do. I personally have poor sentence structure and could brush up on my grammer and punctuation. I prefer not to use spell check and if I think a word is not spelled correctly then I like to look it up in the dictionary. This being the case if time permit's. Anyway I enjoy writing and wish that I would have spent more time in school learning to write better. The bottom line, IMO, is to write to the best of your ability making a honest effort to present yourself well to other people. I think it is a matter of taking pride in yourself. It also makes America and the world a more beautiful place. Keep America Beautiful. RV ON!!!!!! Dinarhead out!

Totally agree. making a honest effort----- making "an" honest effort

Totally agree. making a honest effort----- making "an" honest effort

Thanks Letitbe. I always get that one mixed up whether it should be a or an. There is probably a rule of thumb, regarding this, to remember. Yes my grammer and punctuation needs some work for sure. I look forward to working on it. Like I said "I like to write". RV ON!!!!! Dinarhead out!

• Upvote 1