Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Florida governor signs welfare drug-screen measure -

Qman

The ACLU should be classified as a terrorist organization--there is a limit to who should be represented not a blank check for the abusers using the system for thier own ends--truly represent those who's rights have been trampled and have an honest need not the others--fine line I know but gone are the days to protect that one in a million verses the thousands taking advantage of the system and start thinking about who acually has to pay the check!

capt. cliff

I couldn't agree more! Ive witnessed the abuse of the system while I have to take drug tests to keep my job to help pay for those on welfare. I believe sometimes people do need help in life and I have no problem helping someone get back on their feet. However, if you are getting a second chance on someone else's nickel then without a doubt you should at minimum take random drug tests. As a Fla resident I couldn't agree more on this topic and I hope it works!

• Upvote 3

I posted this on my facebook a couple days ago. hooboy, was that a fun time.

I actually support this. It seems fair enough. The state reimburses you for the test if the results are clean, if not...well you get no welfare. I don't think its too much to ask that if you intend to live off the US' dime that you stay clean.

I seem to do alright staying employed and out of jail and I don't do drugs. I'm sure there are plenty of folks on welfare who don't do drugs. I don't see how this expectation is too much to ask of the general public.

Drugs are illegal, you shouldn't do them if you're living off food stamps of if you race robot giraffes around your own private stadium. To expect folks to be and stay clean is something so basic, to argue against it seems silly to me.

Congrads to Florida Govornor, This should have been done 20 years ago. Fair is fair stay clean get your money, test negative go hungry

• Upvote 3

Does this law include marijuana?

They will be the first to be zapped since weed stays in your system longest if a regular smoker. Then your oxie user's since they couldn't make it to the drug test if they stopped using cause of the DT's and last but not least we have the meth, crack and coke heads.....they will know to quit a few days before the test and be able to pass.

• Upvote 1

This is good don't get me wrong, but I will have to say there are going to be ALOT of people not getting a monthly check. Time to activate that alarm system I guess. :o

I guess you said it more pleasantly than I did. :D

• Upvote 1

:huh: hmmm....you know wot seems to be unconstitutional? :lol:

our government using our money to to give to another country to support the people of that country...when it should have been used to support its own country and citizens.... :huh: i know it sound selfish, but these are hard time and this country cant afford to be doing that. those country we are giving Billions of $$$ to have to learn how to take care of themselves. :huh:

• Upvote 3

they do this in the state where i live. it should be federally mandated.

The feds have way too many laws already. Just one more law we don't need, let the states manage their own laws.

"If we run such [government] debts, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries

and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our callings and our creeds, as the people of England

are, our people, like them, must come to labor sixteen hours in twenty-four, give earnings of fifteen of these

to the government for their debts and daily expenses, and the sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread,

we must live, as they now do, on oatmeal and potatoes, have no time to think, no means of calling the mismanagers

to account; but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow-suffers."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Thank you Dalevoss!!!! That was my question. And here is my statementt: A drunk is no different than a druggies!!!! Althou I do agree with some of what as been said a drug test for welfare... just make sure you are doing all form of mood altering substances and not singling one group out!

Thank you Dalevoss!!!! That was my question. And here is my statementt: A drunk is no different than a druggies!!!! Althou I do agree with some of what as been said a drug test for welfare... just make sure you are doing all form of mood altering substances and not singling one group out!

while i agree with the overall concept behind your statement, don't forget that alcohol is perfectly legal to buy and consume and even abuse.

If they sold Meth in 7-11's then I would have a hard time saying that someone who tests positive for meth-amphetamines should be denied welfare, but as it stands currently, alcohol is legal and illegal drugs are...well, illegal. So those really should be the substances tested for.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If the individuals being supported by tax dollars wish to spend their money on drugs why should the tax payers spend their own hard earned money on food for those same people? They can get help for their habit for free, so until then, it would seem a no brainer... I live in Fl and I am proud of our Gov.! Unfortunately, this probably won't be very popular amongst the voters on welfare because it's all about THEIR rights not the people who have to pay in-so go figure.

while i agree with the overall concept behind your statement, don't forget that alcohol is perfectly legal to buy and consume and even abuse.

If they sold Meth in 7-11's then I would have a hard time saying that someone who tests positive for meth-amphetamines should be denied welfare, but as it stands currently, alcohol is legal and illegal drugs are...well, illegal. So those really should be the substances tested for.

Are they making them test because drugs are bad, because they are spending tax dollars on drugs, or because they are illegal? I feel like it makes a difference.

For example, by your implied logic, if you deny welfare because of a positive test for marijuana, it is only because marijuana is illegal, not necessarily because it is bad (because it isn't imo).

Many people in Florida use marijuana for medical purposes, just like we do here in California, even though for some reason it is still illegal after all of the positive findings from vast public research.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Are they making them test because drugs are bad, because they are spending tax dollars on drugs, or because they are illegal? I feel like it makes a difference.

For example, by your implied logic, if you deny welfare because of a positive test for marijuana, it is only because marijuana is illegal, not necessarily because it is bad (because it isn't imo).

Many people in Florida use marijuana for medical purposes, just like we do here in California, even though for some reason it is still illegal after all of the positive findings from vast public research.

well, now you're getting into the whole good/bad legal/illegal argument which is the slippery slope nobody wants to go down, but I know what you're getting at and I'll say this: marijuana for recreational use is illegal and testing positive for it should (under florida's proposed guidelines) deny you welfare.

That being said, I'm pretty sure if you're using marijuana medicinally, you're already ok'ed by the government to smoke it so I don't know why there'd be a problem with the welfare situation. If you've got a free pass from the gov't to get high, testing positive for it shouldn't hang up welfare funds.

Nobody is smoking medicinal crack though, so your argument is really only good when discussing pot (and at the end of the day, probably won't get tested for because of these exact reasons).

• Downvote 1

Nobody is smoking medicinal crack though, so your argument is really only good when discussing pot (and at the end of the day, probably won't get tested for because of these exact reasons).

Crack is whack. I'm all for testing for crack. You have to force people off of that stuff.

Well, I suppose what we could do is penalize a family or single mom for each child they have AFTER going on to assistance. The good news is that food stamps can't be used for alcohol or cigarettes. I don't know about other states, but in Hawaii they use an EBT card now.

It can be a slippery slope. What if a vet comes back and is on disability? Then he or she would have to be drug-tested regularly or lose benefits?

laugh.gif I think its cause we mostly all agree on this one!!

hmmm.... i disagree to all agreeing, agreed? hmmm....that didn't make sense :huh: *whispers to self* crap...wot in the world....:huh:

*walks away arguing to herself* ......:lol:

In my area, there are those who easily collect from 3 separate entities: Maryland, DC and Virginia. They simply have a group of three friends each with an address in each locality. They then use the addresses and collect welfare and food stamps X3!!!! There is no accounting for the monies from state to state, so it probably is taking place along the borders of every state!

In addition to drug testing, any funds for support should be double checked, address and social security number, through a centralized network before being distributed.

Why anyone would give you a negative for stating facts is beyond me, so I gave you a + to balance it. So many people are misinformed yet are first to pop off at the mouth. Doesn't anybody wonder why our goverment would make alcohol and tobacco legal when combined it kills millions each year? Medicinal Marijuana has been tested and proven time and again to not cause any of these harmful symptoms, has never caused any deaths, impossible to overdose and has actually helped people. Yet our government will not legalize it. Who out there in America, actually still believes that our government has our best interests at heart? Please!

• Upvote 1

:huh: hmmm....you know wot seems to be unconstitutional? :lol:

our government using our money to to give to another country to support the people of that country...when it should have been used to support its own country and citizens.... :huh: i know it sound selfish, but these are hard time and this country cant afford to be doing that. those country we are giving Billions of $$$ to have to learn how to take care of themselves. :huh:

I agree, especially in our current circumstances. It's fine to be selfish, as many believe selfishness can also be virtuous... as part of accountability and responsibility... to yourself. In it's extreme... it's self-preservation. If we all practiced it individually, we would thrive collectively... and then be in a much better place to help others.