Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

sharing a personal experience

Coming home yesterday from a grand weekend with relatives in Indiana we were traveling on a pretty rural highway in the northern part of the state. My daughter was driving, mom riding shotgun and I curled up in the backseat reading about page 310 of my 389 page trip novel --- when I hear Jessi say "hang on --- look up ahead" as she slows to a stop in the middle of the road. I sprang up from my book to see what compelled her to stop --- and there in the middle of our lane was a tiny baby deer.

I immediately opened my door --- to wave traffic to a stop and at the same time surveying the baby. It was still wet with birth and was unable to make those spindly legs work on the pavement. Jessi tried to pick it up but is squealed -- next thing we know the woman in the passenger’s seat of the car that stopped directly behind us is out and right there with us ... she gingerly (as only a grandmother type could do) scooped the baby up. This revealed a still slightly bloody umbilical --- making us sure this was a baby who was hours -- if that -- old.

We surmised that the mother had most likely given birth (they don't tend to make a big whoopla about the event, dropping a fawn when it's time, regardless of place) on the road side of the fence line and after cleaning it up, was spooked by a car and fled the immediate area. The fawn had tried to get its legs and ended up in the road, unable to move any further.

There was a house across the road, and it wasn't long before they came out to see what was happening, many cars were stopped by this time. They said there are many deer living in the area. It was decided (rightly imho) that the baby should be placed on the other side of the fence, with the hope and prayer that the mother would be looking for it, find it and not be too bothered by the human scent that would surely linger.

It is my prayer that St. Francis sends angels to surround this innocent baby deer till its mother finds it.

We humans so often interrupt the flow of nature --- this experience reminds me of the fragility of all life but also the wonder, beauty and majesty of it all.

the end

pvS :)

• Upvote 9

Coming home yesterday from a grand weekend with relatives in Indiana we were traveling on a pretty rural highway in the northern part of the state. My daughter was driving, mom riding shotgun and I curled up in the backseat reading about page 310 of my 389 page trip novel --- when I hear Jessi say "hang on --- look up ahead" as she slows to a stop in the middle of the road. I sprang up from my book to see what compelled her to stop --- and there in the middle of our lane was a tiny baby deer.

I immediately opened my door --- to wave traffic to a stop and at the same time surveying the baby. It was still wet with birth and was unable to make those spindly legs work on the pavement. Jessi tried to pick it up but is squealed -- next thing we know the woman in the passenger’s seat of the car that stopped directly behind us is out and right there with us ... she gingerly (as only a grandmother type could do) scooped the baby up. This revealed a still slightly bloody umbilical --- making us sure this was a baby who was hours -- if that -- old.

We surmised that the mother had most likely given birth (they don't tend to make a big whoopla about the event, dropping a fawn when it's time, regardless of place) on the road side of the fence line and after cleaning it up, was spooked by a car and fled the immediate area. The fawn had tried to get its legs and ended up in the road, unable to move any further.

There was a house across the road, and it wasn't long before they came out to see what was happening, many cars were stopped by this time. They said there are many deer living in the area. It was decided (rightly imho) that the baby should be placed on the other side of the fence, with the hope and prayer that the mother would be looking for it, find it and not be too bothered by the human scent that would surely linger.

It is my prayer that St. Francis sends angels to surround this innocent baby deer till its mother finds it.

We humans so often interrupt the flow of nature --- this experience reminds me of the fragility of all life but also the wonder, beauty and majesty of it all.

the end

pvS :)

That is beautiful PVS, we'll be praying for his/her safety. Not many people would stop and help it so I'm so happy that you and your family happened upon it and were able to experience and help such a beautiful creature of God.

• Upvote 3

I to have had a great experience this week. In all my 62 yrs. young I have never seen this wxcept in pictures. I was out in the woods looking for mushrooms ( sponge ) when I had this feeling that someone was watching me. I turned around and looked over to my left and there was a baby deer not more than a few hours old laying there in the grass. So beautiful, gold and with the bright spots it was breathe taking. I thanked the lord right there and then for he was smiling on me. Thank you for your post also. Life is great. Go RV

• Upvote 2

That was awesome PVS...thank you for posting your experience! The interactions with nature are sometimes bitter-sweet, and after reading what you wrote I was reminded by the many memories of my run-ins with nature. Oh the stories that could be told..!

Yep...St. Francis was the man..!

Also wanted to share that several days ago I was googling a specific song, but what popped up was the youtube recording of the Monkey’s singing “Another Pleasant Valley Sunday”, instantly I thought of you! Is that how you came up with your ID..?

God Bless

I to have had a great experience this week. In all my 62 yrs. young I have never seen this wxcept in pictures. I was out in the woods looking for mushrooms ( sponge ) when I had this feeling that someone was watching me. I turned around and looked over to my left and there was a baby deer not more than a few hours old laying there in the grass. So beautiful, gold and with the bright spots it was breathe taking. I thanked the lord right there and then for he was smiling on me. Thank you for your post also. Life is great. Go RV

Larry, you need to come visit the great state of Washington. Just yesterday I drove over one of our passes as I do multiple times a month and was not disappointed by all the beautiful Elk and deer young and old. There are some towns here where the deer, elk and mountain goats will just walk right through town on the side of the road. It's a beautiful thing that I wish everyone could experience. I'm so glad you were able to see this little guy in person because there really is nothing like seeing these creatures up close and in person. :wub: A baby bear like PVS saw is much more rare around here but funny enough we have had once or twice where professionals have had to come in and get a bear or two out of our apple orchards IN TOWN when we'd had fires in the hills around our valley.

• Upvote 1

That was awesome PVS...thank you for posting your experience! The interactions with nature are sometimes bitter-sweet, and after reading what you wrote I was reminded by the many memories of my run-ins with nature. Oh the stories that could be told..!

Yep...St. Francis was the man..!

Also wanted to share that several days ago I was googling a specific song, but what popped up was the youtube recording of the Monkey’s singing “Another Pleasant Valley Sunday”, instantly I thought of you! Is that how you came up with your ID..?

God Bless

As a matter of fact the Monkees must have had some influence in my choice --- but it was more of a "kneejerk" assignment. It was a Sunday, when I found dinarvets (my first online dinar experience) and I was so excited to have found a place to "learn" I joined in a BIG hurry (not realizing at that point that I could read the forum without joining -- duh emot-LMAO.gif ) and somehow the song title jumped into my head and ran with it --- emot-woot.gif

We found a baby deer on our property. Our boys were riding the four wheeler and found it. They should have left it alone and the mother would have come back. We tried several times to give it back, but she would not come near it again. We ended up bottle feeding it for about two months. It was a time consuming but sweet experience. It would use its foot to knock on the door when it was hungry. We would feed it and pet it,and then it would go back out in the woods. It gradually started coming less and less until it quit coming. By the time it quit coming it was really strong!

I hope this deer you are referring to will make it!

One year when my wife was plowing in a field with high grass--preparing ground to plant soybeans--in s/w Louisiana--she came to a quick stop--a fawn was laying in the grass and she had almost run over it. She waited a little while and nothing happened--so she got down off the tractor and walked around the front of it and was going to move the fawn over in ground where she had already plowed. Upon reaching down to pick it up the fawn bleated. Suddenly my wife caught something out of the corner of her eye towards the woods--the doe(mother) was jumping the fence and in no time was standing just a few feet from my wife with her head down and stomping her front feet on the ground. So my wife slowly backed away and got back on the tractor. The doe walked up to the fawn, it got up and they walked away. Great story. BUT A healthy doe will usually has twins. I have always picked at my wife about where the other twin was--sometimes my sense of humor gets away with me. Probably wasn't a twin or it was in the woods with the doe. Anyway, a great experience for my wife, and she always watched in front of the tractor a little better after that. Go figure. Have a great day everyone and "GO RV".