Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Major Speech Tomorrow - Obama to Speak About "Arab Spring"

djhemp

Fingers crossed, this is the announcement and not just politics as usual! Just heard this on CNN.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/8521694/Barack-Obama-set-to-deliver-first-major-speech-on-Arab-Spring.html

Barack Obama set to deliver first major speech on Arab Spring

obama_1899044c.jpg

President Barack Obama will give his first major speech on the Arab Spring on Thursday in which he is expected to abandon his restrained approach to months of violence by Syrian authorities.

After criticism that his administration has lacked consistency in its reaction to this year's dramatic changes in the Middle East, he will also attempt to breathe life into the stalled Israel-Palestine peace talks.

The speech was being revised at the last minute yesterday, but it is thought the president will criticise Bashar al-Assad, the Syrian president, by name for the first time.

Mr Assad yesterday admitted his security forces have made mistakes during the uprising against his regime, blaming poorly trained police officers for their handing of the protests.

The president insisted Syria had now "overcome the crisis", but there were reports of government forces shelling and firing machine guns at protesters in the besieged border town of Tall Kalakh on Wednesday, killing at least eight.

The White House has largely stayed silent as up to 900 hundred pro-democracy demonstrators have been slaughtered by Syrian security forces.

Washington had hoped that the protests would lead to reforms, which in turn would lead Mr Assad's government away from the embrace of Iran.

But with protesters still reportedly being gunned down in the streets, Mr Obama is likely take a tougher tone, and may well repeat the threat of sanctions against Damascus already raised by Hillarious Clinton, the US Secretary of State.

The speech comes amid a week of hectic diplomacy in which Mr Obama hopes to correct the impression that US relevance is declining in the Middle East and North Africa, while making it clear that the world's only superpower should not be regarded as omnipotent.

Throughout a tumultuous six months that have seen Egypt and Tunisia overturn their leaders, Bahrain and Syria use overwhelming force to crush protesters and Nato launch military action against Libya with no end in sight, Mr Obama has been accused of careering from one crisis to the next without a coherent strategy or vision.

Attempting to regain the initiative, he has this week already entertained King Abdullah of Jordan at the White House, and on Friday will greet Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister.

Speaking alongside King Abdullah, he urged Israelis and Palestinians to return to the bargaining table.

"Despite the many changes – or perhaps because of the many changes – that are taking place in the region, it's more vital than ever that both Israelis and Palestinians find a way to get back to the table and begin negotiating a process whereby they can create two states that are living side by side in peace and security," said Mr Obama.

His upbeat approach has however been undermined by the resignation last week of George Mitchell, his special envoy to the Middle East, who departed after two frustrating years.

The positions of both the Israelis and Palestinians meanwhile seem as hardened as ever.

Mahmoud Abbas, the president of the Palestinian authority, stressed yesterday that peace talks with Israel could not resume without a halt to Israeli settlement construction. Talks between the two sides have been on hold since late September 2010, when a partial Israeli moratorium on settlement building expired.

Edited by djhemp
  • Upvote 2

Um...this article says nothing about Iraq, the ME economy, or any US windfall. It only speaks to the unrest in the region and Obama's inability to get everyone to play nice. Sorry, but I do not see any indication that he (Obama) will be announcing the RV. Back to your lives citizens, nothing to see here.

Go RV!

• Upvote 2

The announcement could come from several people, however, in my opinion Obama is not one of them. I absolutely believe the initial announcement has to come from within Iraq. I just don't see how the President of the US would ever be the one to announce an RV of any country. Remember, this RV is big news for dinar investors but to the average Joe it means absolutely nothing. You won't see any pomp and circumstance around the announcement. It will most likely come in the middle of the night when most of the world is asleep.

Peace

I agree...this is like seven degrees from Kevin Bacon...I'm sure by a bunch of twisty assumptions, we could spin this into a "the time is now" rant, but I can't imagine this is any direct trigger...overall, it seems like some positive jockeying on behalf of the U.S., but far from an RV announcement...cool.gif

• Upvote 3

I find it simply fascinating that Obama has the time and energy to address the "Arab Spring"....seeing as Spring has flooded the middle part of America and basically shut down commerce on the MS River and flooded 10s of thousands of acres of farmland and crops...oh thats right...he hates commerce...and America....so I suppose his time is better spent making a speech about Spring and his People.....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Slade, in all honesty, if you have nothing of value to add to the thread, can you please refrain from typing.

Peace

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

This address by the President wont be an announcement of the dinar RV....more than likely the address will speak to the current issues in the Arab world and Americas policy changes regarding those issues....there may also be some additional comments toward the progress of democracy in the region...including Iraq...JMO...:)

• Upvote 1

The announcement could come from several people, however, in my opinion Obama is not one of them. I absolutely believe the initial announcement has to come from within Iraq. I just don't see how the President of the US would ever be the one to announce an RV of any country. Remember, this RV is big news for dinar investors but to the average Joe it means absolutely nothing. You won't see any pomp and circumstance around the announcement. It will most likely come in the middle of the night when most of the world is asleep.

Peace

Could not agree more. What a disaster if our president announced something of this magnitude for another country.

Um...this article says nothing about Iraq, the ME economy, or any US windfall. It only speaks to the unrest in the region and Obama's inability to get everyone to play nice. Sorry, but I do not see any indication that he (Obama) will be announcing the RV. Back to your lives citizens, nothing to see here.

Go RV!

Inability to get anyone to play nice? Can you name someone else that has brought peace to the Middle East? And after being involved with this venture and getting a birds eye view of how things transpire over there, do think there will ever be peace?

Yeah, unrest in the ME is Obama's fault. Wait, you better get back to Fox News. They are still pumping up the birther issue.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Peace

Obama want a second term..........therefor I would not put it past him.

Then he can take the credit!

Not that I believe it would happen, just could.

None the less.......it won't be tomorrow

• Upvote 1

Long time investor and follower of DV but Obummer will have nothing to do with the announce of RV. If he was smart he would be pushing this to happen because then he might get a vote from me.............ok maybe not but it would help his approval rating from us dinar investors.

• Upvote 1

Fingers crossed, this is the announcement and not just politics as usual! Just heard this on CNN.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/8521694/Barack-Obama-set-to-deliver-first-major-speech-on-Arab-Spring.html

Barack Obama set to deliver first major speech on Arab Spring

obama_1899044c.jpg

President Barack Obama will give his first major speech on the Arab Spring on Thursday in which he is expected to abandon his restrained approach to months of violence by Syrian authorities.

After criticism that his administration has lacked consistency in its reaction to this year's dramatic changes in the Middle East, he will also attempt to breathe life into the stalled Israel-Palestine peace talks.

The speech was being revised at the last minute yesterday, but it is thought the president will criticise Bashar al-Assad, the Syrian president, by name for the first time.

Mr Assad yesterday admitted his security forces have made mistakes during the uprising against his regime, blaming poorly trained police officers for their handing of the protests.

The president insisted Syria had now "overcome the crisis", but there were reports of government forces shelling and firing machine guns at protesters in the besieged border town of Tall Kalakh on Wednesday, killing at least eight.

The White House has largely stayed silent as up to 900 hundred pro-democracy demonstrators have been slaughtered by Syrian security forces.

Washington had hoped that the protests would lead to reforms, which in turn would lead Mr Assad's government away from the embrace of Iran.

But with protesters still reportedly being gunned down in the streets, Mr Obama is likely take a tougher tone, and may well repeat the threat of sanctions against Damascus already raised by Hillarious Clinton, the US Secretary of State.

The speech comes amid a week of hectic diplomacy in which Mr Obama hopes to correct the impression that US relevance is declining in the Middle East and North Africa, while making it clear that the world's only superpower should not be regarded as omnipotent.

Throughout a tumultuous six months that have seen Egypt and Tunisia overturn their leaders, Bahrain and Syria use overwhelming force to crush protesters and Nato launch military action against Libya with no end in sight, Mr Obama has been accused of careering from one crisis to the next without a coherent strategy or vision.

Attempting to regain the initiative, he has this week already entertained King Abdullah of Jordan at the White House, and on Friday will greet Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister.

Speaking alongside King Abdullah, he urged Israelis and Palestinians to return to the bargaining table.

"Despite the many changes – or perhaps because of the many changes – that are taking place in the region, it's more vital than ever that both Israelis and Palestinians find a way to get back to the table and begin negotiating a process whereby they can create two states that are living side by side in peace and security," said Mr Obama.

His upbeat approach has however been undermined by the resignation last week of George Mitchell, his special envoy to the Middle East, who departed after two frustrating years.

The positions of both the Israelis and Palestinians meanwhile seem as hardened as ever.

Mahmoud Abbas, the president of the Palestinian authority, stressed yesterday that peace talks with Israel could not resume without a halt to Israeli settlement construction. Talks between the two sides have been on hold since late September 2010, when a partial Israeli moratorium on settlement building expired.

bash me if ya want but what ever he says will just be more lies desined to get reelected n screw us even more just sayin

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"Inability to get anyone to play nice? Can you name someone else that has brought peace to the Middle East? And after being involved with this venture and getting a birds eye view of how things transpire over there, do think there will ever be peace?

Yeah, unrest in the ME is Obama's fault. Wait, you better get back to Fox News. They are still pumping up the birther issue."

My post is merely stating that the article mentions nothing in regard to the President discussing Iraq or the impending RV. However, it (the article) does cover the issue of unrest in the ME and the fact Obama has not been effective in regard to his involvment there. Did he create it? No. It has been going on for thousands of years. This thread is about tomorrow's speech, not your obvious "crush". As for FOX news...you betcha...Fair and Balanced Baby!

Edited by jamaba
  • Upvote 4

This RV has been set in motion since the Bush years in office. He is the one that has said all along that this war would not cost us a dime. Of course, he will NEVER get credit from this administration or the media, but he is the one that orchastrated this deal. He also set into motion the intel and action to kill Bin Laden, but no credit was given to him from the media or others. This RV will happen, just a matter of time. Obama is posturing for position to take the credit to try and get re-elected. EVERYTHING he does or says has motives and intentions. Re-election is all he cares about right now. The RV will help in his mind. JMHO

• Upvote 2

Could not agree more. What a disaster if our president announced something of this magnitude for another country.

Inability to get anyone to play nice? Can you name someone else that has brought peace to the Middle East? And after being involved with this venture and getting a birds eye view of how things transpire over there, do think there will ever be peace?

Yeah, unrest in the ME is Obama's fault. Wait, you better get back to Fox News. They are still pumping up the birther issue.

California, huh? How's that Obama thing workin' out for you out there? :lol:

• Upvote 1

I find it simply fascinating that Obama has the time and energy to address the "Arab Spring"....seeing as Spring has flooded the middle part of America and basically shut down commerce on the MS River and flooded 10s of thousands of acres of farmland and crops...oh thats right...he hates commerce...and America....so I suppose his time is better spent making a speech about Spring and his People.....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What more do you want him to do? Grab a sand bag? Seriously, what can he do? Part the waters.....

Obviously, you do not know what the Arab Spring is. Thanks to CNN, here is a short critique:

"In his speech on Thursday, President Barack Obama will reportedly "reset" his Middle East policy and clarify the administration's position on the Arab Spring.

The speech comes at a critical time, especially for Egypt and Tunisia, countries with the greatest chance of achieving democratic consolidation.

The success of impending elections in these countries will be contingent on the ability of their transitional governments to demonstrate that post-Mubarak or post-Ben Ali life will be better. Yet Egypt and Tunisia face severe economic crises that could spell political doom. Their people will be listening intently for signals that Obama plans to come to their aid.

So far, the Obama administration has yet to formally ask Congress for additional funding for Egypt and Tunisia. Meanwhile, proposals initiated by members of Congress are bogged down in committee. Any reluctance is understandable given the current economic climate in the U.S.

But there is a way to provide financial assistance without additional overall expenditure. The Obama administration could request, and Congress could authorize, the reallocation of funding designated for counterterrorism initiatives toward fostering democratic consolidation.

The idea comes fresh on the heels of the Obama administration's greatest counterterrorism success to date: the death of Osama bin Laden. But other factors -- having nothing whatever to do with U.S. Special Forces, SEAL Team 6 or any other U.S.-sponsored counterterrorism program -- have struck a greater blow to the global jihadist movement.

Those factors are the uprisings from Tunisia to Syria known as the Arab Spring. They unleashed a sense of personal empowerment and articulated a political narrative of self-determination that undermines the very foundations of jihadism. If these popular movements succeed, they will be more effective than traditional counterterrorism. Instead of confronting jihadists directly, they simply make their arguments irrelevant.

Experience from recovery after conflict in countries studied by RAND suggests perhaps $1 billion might be needed to help set the right trajectory in Egypt and Tunisia. Channeling some funds toward job creation or investment promotion in Egypt and Tunisia would not involve a reduction in counterterrorism spending. Rather, funds would be redirected toward policies that might bring greater value for taxpayer dollars....."

California, huh? How's that Obama thing workin' out for you out there? :lol:

Great! It is such a breath of fresh air to have an intelligent and gracious president.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1