Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

White House

Psych

Your reading the letter O wrote to the senate & congress. This is the actual extension letter extending to 5/22/2012...

Notice from the President regarding the continuation of the national emergency with respect to the stabilization of Iraq

On May 22, 2003, by Executive Order 13303, the President declared a national emergency protecting the Development Fund for Iraq and certain other property in which Iraq has an interest, pursuant to the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701‑1706). The President took this action to deal with the unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States posed by obstacles to the orderly reconstruction of Iraq, the restoration and maintenance of peace and security in the country, and the development of political, administrative, and economic institutions in Iraq.

In Executive Order 13315 of August 28, 2003, Executive Order 13350 of July 29, 2004, Executive Order 13364 of November 29, 2004, and Executive Order 13438 of July 17, 2007, the President modified the scope of the national emergency declared in Executive Order 13303 and took additional steps in response to this national emergency.

Because the obstacles to the orderly reconstruction of Iraq, the restoration and maintenance of peace and security in the country, and the development of political, administrative, and economic institutions in Iraq continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States, the national emergency declared in Executive Order 13303, as modified in scope and relied upon for additional steps taken in Executive Orders 13315, 13350, 13364, and 13438, must continue in effect beyond May 22, 2011. Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing for 1 year the national emergency with respect to the stabilization of Iraq.

This notice shall be published in the Federal Register and transmitted to the Congress.

BARACK OBAMA

THE WHITE HOUSE,

May 17, 2011.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/05/17/notice-president-regarding-continuation-national-emergency-respect-stabi

• Upvote 1

You have blown up a balloon really big, and then let it go, it makes a funny sound while it flies in circles and then flops to the floor. Yes, that is how I feel right now. Deflated. I thought we really had a solid one, and maybe we do.

Okay, enough of the pity pot, on with the next "intel"!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

There are two links,,,one from the first poster,and, one from lancer,each says some thing different...which is correct. one has more detail ,about dates of expirationan dthe other says for one year,,,please elaborate as to correct document....

Edited by leola

You have blown up a balloon really big, and then let it go, it makes a funny sound while it flies in circles and then flops to the floor. Yes, that is how I feel right now. Deflated. I thought we really had a solid one, and maybe we do.

Okay, enough of the pity pot, on with the next "intel"!!!!!!!!

sorry. I too, know the sound & feeling....

Your reading the letter O wrote to the senate & congress. This is the actual extension letter extending to 5/22/2012...

Notice from the President regarding the continuation of the national emergency with respect to the stabilization of Iraq

On May 22, 2003, by Executive Order 13303, the President declared a national emergency protecting the Development Fund for Iraq and certain other property in which Iraq has an interest, pursuant to the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701‑1706). The President took this action to deal with the unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States posed by obstacles to the orderly reconstruction of Iraq, the restoration and maintenance of peace and security in the country, and the development of political, administrative, and economic institutions in Iraq.

In Executive Order 13315 of August 28, 2003, Executive Order 13350 of July 29, 2004, Executive Order 13364 of November 29, 2004, and Executive Order 13438 of July 17, 2007, the President modified the scope of the national emergency declared in Executive Order 13303 and took additional steps in response to this national emergency.

Because the obstacles to the orderly reconstruction of Iraq, the restoration and maintenance of peace and security in the country, and the development of political, administrative, and economic institutions in Iraq continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States, the national emergency declared in Executive Order 13303, as modified in scope and relied upon for additional steps taken in Executive Orders 13315, 13350, 13364, and 13438, must continue in effect beyond May 22, 2011. Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing for 1 year the national emergency with respect to the stabilization of Iraq.

This notice shall be published in the Federal Register and transmitted to the Congress.

BARACK OBAMA

THE WHITE HOUSE,

May 17, 2011.

http://www.whitehous...y-respect-stabi

Lancer,

Good find. Seems like people aren't recognizing that there's a discrepancy here in articles...both look legit...the one you posted seems to be the official letter while the other is the text version I guess? Could it be misdirection at the highest level? Have yet to see anyone else comment on the disconnect...

Cheers

IMO the 2 different documents are one is showing the extended date of the May 22nd 2012...because i think thats probably the law to do so...but the other is to the Senate and Congress telling them why he did extend it...because it would have expired on May 22nd 2011 and he wants to give them till the June 30th 2011 date to see if they can lift the chapter VII before then and RV the currency...

Hey, ya'll don't worry!

I didn't catch that was not the actual EO, but I will venture to say that the reason he has it at one year is because anything based on the National Emergencies Act provides for an automatic termination at one year, and since the EO is based on it, he is simply following what the Act provides. The fact that he includes language referring to the UN deadline is important, because it implies it will end by or before then.

No biggie. :D

Edited by juni
  • Upvote 1

I'm sorry but that's not how I read it. It looks to me like he is saying they will "extend if necessary

so that I may determine whether to continue beyond June 30, 2011" And we all know what happens when Iraq hits a dead line. I'm thinking September or October if were lucky. JMO

The EO has a 1 year life span. It can be continued at the will of the president, based on the state of the emergency.

Here's the last sentence that refers to the "one year" extension:

"Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing for 1 year the national emergency with respect to the stabilization of Iraq."

He's just tracking the language of the Act, that's all. And like Z said, he can end it sooner (he will just have to sign another piece of paper).

• Upvote 1

Actually, this makes sense. O extends the act for one year as is his right. He also sends a letter specifically stating the June 30 date for determining Iraq's progress and the need for the EO to continue. O wouldn't extend out only to the UN's June 30 date. If by the 30th Iraq gets their **** together, with a swipe of the pen O ends the EO. If he had only extended to the end of June, he might have had to extend again if Iraq didn't do what they are supposed to. This one year extension is the smart move, and covers all scenarios.

• Upvote 2

Here's the last sentence that refers to the "one year" extension:

"Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing for 1 year the national emergency with respect to the stabilization of Iraq."

He's just tracking the language of the Act, that's all. And like Z said, he can end it sooner (he will just have to sign another piece of paper).

Well, as you put it, the EO's are a fail-safe.

Shouldn't we only go by the UN resolutions?

As they expire, it gives the U.S. bargaining power, wouldn't you think?

Yes, I think the UN dates are the most important. As Juni said, O's extension was determined by staying in line with the language of the act.

What Z said. :)

Here is something else.

Obama said this in the address to Congress:

"My Administration will evaluate Iraq's ongoing efforts in this regard, as well as its progress in resolving outstanding debts and claims arising from actions of the previous regime, so that I may determine whether to continue beyond June 30, 2011".

www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/05/17/message-president-regarding-continuation-national-emergency-respect-stab

Well, excuse me Mr. Prez, but you just signed a one year EO extension, right? Whaddya mean "so I may determine whether to continue beyond June 30?"

This tells me that there will be NO EXTENSIONS BY THE U.N. , and Obama knows that.

It is DO OR DIE by June 30th!

Well, as you put it, the EO's are a fail-safe.

Shouldn't we only go by the UN resolutions?

As they expire, it gives the U.S. bargaining power, wouldn't you think?

EOs are extra constitutional powers granted to the president that allo the POTUS to Declare War on an ongoing Emergency

They were granted during the first FDR administration and are an offshoot of HR1491, signed into law March 9, 1933.

Their origin is found in 12 USC 95a and 95b.

The congressional record of the 73rd Congress outlines their inception and the discussion surrounding their "birth"

IIRC, it can be found around pages 81 thru 119

We do not want to be limited by any UN Resolution. EOs are enough of a violation of sovereignty.

Juni has a firm grasp on what an EO is, and can do.

The house and Senate have both tried to limit extraconstitutional powers such as WEP, but basically discovered when they amended 12 USC 95 a, they effectively voted themselves out of the loop.

We have lived under on declared State of Emergency for every second since March 9, 1933.

Here is something else.

"My Administration will evaluate Iraq's ongoing efforts in this regard, as well as its progress in resolving outstanding debts and claims arising from actions of the previous regime, so that I may determine whether to continue beyond June 30, 2011".

www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/05/17/message-president-regarding-continuation-national-emergency-respect-stab

Well, excuse me Mr. Prez, but you just signed a one year EO extension, right? Whaddya mean "so I may determine whether to continue beyond June 30?"

This tells me that there will be NO EXTENSIONS BY THE U.N. , and Obama knows that.

I still feel that the EO are bargaining ship power for the U.S.

As the UN Resolutions expire, it leaves the US sole protector of the funds, as the US Treasury holds the funds.

Now, what I take away from this is.... That the GOI is looking to find ways to not need protection of the assets and the US Govt. will monitor this up until June 30th to see if the EO is even necessary.

When someone finds me an article stating the UN Resolution has been extended beyond June 30th, than I'll be a little more depressed & deflated. And only because the reasoning behind that is the GOI loves to drag their feet. They are the best at procrastinating......

Here is something else.

According to Breitling, Iraq would have had to request an extension of the DFI deadline at least 60 days before the June 30 deadline (see chat recently posted). He says that they did not do that. Therefore, there will be no extension of the UN deadline re: DFI.

TS

I believe in the RV; I don't believe in the cult.

• Upvote 1

According to Breitling, Iraq would have had to request an extension of the DFI deadline at least 60 days before the June 30 deadline (see chat recently posted). He says that they did not do that. Therefore, there will be no extension of the UN deadline re: DFI.

TS

I believe in the RV; I don't believe in the cult.

Hope your right....

Anything that removes the ability for them to drag their feet will only expedite the matter to be completed.

Now, no I understand that some things should not be rushed an let unfold naturally... Which I think has been happening, but, lets not let procastination come easy.