Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraqi PM open to US troop presence if blocs agree

kevnutz

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should we stay or should we go?

• STAY
    • GO

Iraqi PM open to US troop presence if blocs agree

By SINAN SALAHEDDIN , 05.11.11, 10:45 AM EDT

BAGHDAD -- Iraq's prime minister said Wednesday he might ask thousands of U.S. troops to remain in the country next year provided that a solid majority of the main political parties back the request at a meeting this month.

Nouri al-Maliki's comments indicated a shift from his earlier stance that there would be no U.S. troops past this year. But his insistence on having a consensus before making the decision indicates al-Maliki's worry that he'll be blamed for such a politically risky decision.

The prime minister told reporters he will meet with Iraqi political leaders by the end of May to gauge support for having U.S. troops stay beyond a December withdrawal deadline.

The Obama administration has said it wants to know within weeks whether Baghdad will seek to continue more than eight years of a heavy U.S. military presence in Iraq. During a trip to Iraq in April, Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, urged the Iraqis to decide very soon, saying they had a matter of weeks, because the U.S. must begin planning its exit.

Sunni and Kurdish leaders generally want U.S. troops to remain to help the nation become more stable and to continue training security forces that are still unprepared to defend their borders. But hardline Shiites who helped al-Maliki secure a second term in office last year have threatened to revolt if American soldiers remain. In recent weeks Iraqi demonstrators in the northern city of Mosul and in the western Anbar province have demanded American forces leave on time.

"I will bring the leaders of the political blocs together. If they say yes, I will agree and if they say no, I will reject it," al-Maliki, a Shiite, said during a 90-minute news conference at his office in the fortified Green Zone in central Baghdad.

Too bad our economy is so strapped for cash. Our troops need a raise!

• Upvote 4

Im thinking "stay" providing troops get hazard pay. Besides, i think the moment that US forces are no longer there, its going to be a free-for-all headed by Maliki for a total take-over. Maliki will invite Iran over and we can just watch the history unfold.

Just thinking outside of the box :D