Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Ron Paul for Pres?

Slaydadea

Ron Paul's Three Notable Advantages in the 2012 Presidential Campaign

ycn_icon.png

Jeanne Rose – 1 hr 12 mins agoContribute content like this. Start here.COMMENTARY | The National Journal reports that Texas Rep. Ron Paul will officially announce Tuesday that he will pursue the Republican ticket in 2012 by forming an exploratory committee. Paul is a libertarian who has previously run for president two times in the past without much luck, most recently in the 2008 election. Daily Caller reports that when it comes to politics and policies, Paul is both supported and opposed on many key issues.

One notable advantage Paul has is that he wants to end the War in Iraq and bring our troops home for good. This is something that increased his popularity because, as a Republican contender, he was the only one to suggest that we end the Iraq War all together.

At a time when there is a situation in Libya and the economy is still very weak, we should not be engaging in a seemingly never-ending Iraq War. There has been a lot of support within the past few years for the war to come to an end because there is no real mission anymore and it seems that there is not even a strategy to exit the country successfully. This is one area that Paul will have a lot of support on both from some Democratic and Republican voters.

Paul is also considered a constitutionalist, which means he would make sure all of his policies would line up with the values and beliefs of the Constitution. Paul is a supporter of the right to bear arms and believes that the government is expanding its authority. The Tea Party has supported Paul for the fact that he is willing to stand up for the Constitution and wants to limit the powers of the government, such as getting rid of the Patriot Act, which he believes is in violation of the Constitution.

Paul is also a believer in states' rights to determine the free market and provide regulation on social issues, instead of using the government to determine those rights and regulations. Paul believes in smaller government with limited powers and wants the states to have rights over their own policies, which is aligned with the ideas of the Tea Party and other true conservatives in America.

[ For complete coverage of politics and policy, go to Yahoo! Politics ]

Paul is also a conservative in every aspect of the word, especially when it comes to fiscal responsibility and balancing the federal budget. Paul has always stood behind getting rid of individual income taxes and installing a flat tax across the board. Paul has stood behind reducing the deficit by ending most foreign aid programs and also cutting out programs like Medicare and Medicaid.

The Tea Party supports Paul and his quest to end a lot of government programs and entitlements which are all programs that Democrats and Republicans do not want to get rid of. The fact that Paul is willing to step up and finally reduce the budget in a manner that will actually mean something instead of small cuts here and there will help him gain popularity this time around. More American people are realizing that these programs are a huge reason why the deficit is so high; with Paul running to get rid of them all together, he will become a huge deal for people who support the Tea Party.

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 2

Ron Paul's biggest disadvantage? He can't win. He might be able to defeat Obama but he has no chance of getting the Republican nomination so he will never have that opportunity. He can't raise enough money among Republicans. His opposition to the Iraq war puts him outside of the mainstream of the party. I have actually started to warm up to the guy lately as my views have become more Libertarian, but I know enough about politics to know that he doesn't have a prayer.

• Upvote 2

Scooby Doo, I agree with you. I've taken a more serious look at Ron Paul and I really can't argue or even disagree with 95% of his platform. But I just don't think he's "electable". He's a good man, but he lacks that "IT" factor that people want in a leader, particularly in the political arena, that can persuade, motivate, challenge, or whatever?????

However, I also agree that traditional Repub & Demo politics is going to lead us right down the proverbial toilet as a nation. Greed, corruption, and self-preservation have taken us down an ugly one-way street politically. Apart from a global economic boost that could potentially come from a significant number of currency adjustments, obviously including Iraq and China, I don't think there's any doubt about an upcoming global mega-depression. The only question would be "how soon?".

So, the point is, radical change is the only option in my mind that could possibly allow us to avoid disaster for the US, and many other nations. Not many have the guts and savvy to take a stand against the "system" like Ron Paul has. Trump adds an interesting twist to the picture, but my gut says he's just getting a lot of opportunity to ask all of the questions that people like you and I would ask if given the chance. He's really in a unique position to put pressure on the status quo with no serious repurcussions at this point. It's kind of funny actually.

Anyway, time will tell. Meanwhile, let's all get wealthy and start a new country somewhere! :lol:

RonPaul has said he wants to do away with the FED. I think this is a GOOD THING. He has also said he doesn't believe the income tax is legal. I, personally, like both of those things. If he chooses Jesse Ventura to be his running mate, maybe that's where we should be. JMHO.

whaddouthink?

Always voted as a democrat for 40 years, but changed to independent this year. Maybe the TEA PARTY makes sense. Check it out !!

Edited by tommyboy

RonPaul has said he wants to do away with the FED. I think this is a GOOD THING. He has also said he doesn't believe the income tax is legal. I, personally, like both of those things. If he chooses Jesse Ventura to be his running mate, maybe that's where we should be. JMHO.

whaddouthink?

Always voted as a democrat for 40 years, but changed to independent this year. Maybe the TEA PARTY makes sense. Check it out !!

Site wouldn't allow me to edit. Jesse was a Navy Seal. Most know what that is, plus he was the governator of Minnesota. Good choice. Maybe that's what we need now,

Personally, I wouldn't vote for any candidate with Jesse Ventura as a runningmate. I respect his courage to speak his mind, right or wrong, popular or not. But Ventura made it VERY clear, in fact the words came right out of his own mouth, that as an elected official he felt absolutely no responsibility to vote on issues according to the desires of the people that elected him. He said that by virtue of the fact that HE was the one elected HE had the right to vote however he saw fit, regardless of the will of the people. As far as I'm concerned that's how we've gotten in the mess we're in right now.

Becoming a Navy Seal is a tremendous accomplishment, but does not make you politically competent or fiscally conservative. This nation needs both right now, if we're to survive the next generation. And don't forget, the fact that he got elected governor doesn't necessarily qualify you for the next level either. Just look at another celebrity that served as governor: The Governator!

ROFL! "Tea Party Nazi's???" Let me guess ummm your a voting Democrat??? WAKE UP CALL! We need more diversification rather than a two party system which has Hmmm Failed us miserably. I personally do not CARE if they are called Tea Party or Bozo the clown as long as they HOLD the US Constitution and the American PEOPLE FIRST! Clearly none of these IDIOTS have a damn bit of interest in doing what is right for this country or it's working class and their Blood, Sweat and Tears to carve out a better life for themselves and their families. My GOD this hurts so much! Watching this country come apart and go broke! Everything we BELIEVE IN, OUR VALUES AS AMERICAN"S our country's very SOUL is being SOLD OFF and desecrated! I personally do not care who you support. Just get involved and HELP save this country. K, I'm done........ BASH AWAY or edit this POST whatever. JMO. Peace. blink.gif

• Upvote 1