Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Dinar Info from a Contractor in Iraq

gbosh

i will tell you how i got my dinar home i was deployed to iraq from feb 09 to feb 10 i bought my dinar from the finance office and the rate was 1170 so it has not changed. when we re-deployed and went through all the customs there were signs everywhere saying that you can not travel with money over 10,000 usd my dinar was not equal to 10,000 usd so the customs people looked at it and it went right back into my back pack. i took it on the plane and it was always with me no issues what so ever!

i would also like to put my input in on the dinar I would love to see the dinar RV and i believe it will one day but if it does not i look at it like this, i never bought more than i could afford, it never put me into finacial hardship, and if it never happens atleast when my daughter gets old enough she will have something to take to school with her for show and tell something her daddy brought home for her when he was in iraq. the point is i already spent the money i would have blew that in vegas anyways so if it happens it happens if it dont it dont i dont stress about it

• Upvote 14

Great post,, I am in Iraq too, I started this venture back in 2005 and have been to many bases.. Back in 2005 it was illegal to mail than, but I was able to sneek it out in the mail. One way is when you go to the post office have your box already taped on the bottom and on the bottom flap between the flapps tape your dinar, or you can also stick it in a lot of paperwork, I worked at the post office over here for 6 months and went back to the Firedept. When I worked at the postoffice we were not able to mail any dinar out and the rule still applies. However you can mail it out in cards if you want to mail a few bills at a time just make sure that envelope doesn't weigh too much and that there isn't somekind of bulge sticking out. ( Just make sure it's the free mail or throw a stamp on it and drop it off in the drop box ) ( ( don't forget all free mail needs a return address on it..with the correct APO )). But you can always take your dinar out with you thru the airport. Just remember to keep it in your wallet and your check book. I know of some people who have taken it out a million at a time. Just try to keep it on your person like in the wallet, if they catch you all they will do is take it from you. Maybe.... ;) I know of somebody who snuck it thru in his carry on luggage, he had a lot of paperwork in there and they never checked it. Good Luck.

About getting the larger denominations, the last time I purchased which was a month ago I got 25k, 10k, 5k, 1k, 100, and 50's so yes you can still get the big bills I know of guys who got some big ones a week or two ago...

While being new to this site please let me leave you with something, Don't believe anybody here when they say they know the date or the rate,,, NOBODY KNOWS... So don't be suckered in to buying because of what you read on this forum or any forum.. We will know what the date and the rate is when it RV's and no time sooner..

Oh ya something I want to leave you with

Keep your head down

Go Rv

God Bless America

• Upvote 7

Thanks for the post. I will never understand why people make claims on dinar forums that are so easily debunked as the claim of no higher denoms is. I believe that they are being removed, but it is a long, tedious process and they may still have a ways to go.

• Upvote 2

Excellant Post, thank you very much for sharing your information to the rest of us. You hear all the time that the CBI is pulling the big bills, but I think its more like the pumpers are pulling peoples legs...It makes a lot of sense that if you are merchant over there, you cannot waste your time using 500 dinar notes. Thanks again!

• Upvote 2

Gbosh,

First thank you for what you do and I know what your saying is 100% correct. There have been times where I asked an LN about the dinar but more times than not , RV isn't what's coming out of their mouth. Now, that doesn't mean that it won't but in the past there has been a lot of info floating around the net from "boots on the ground" that....well I'll put it this way, I find highly questionable. <_<

Earlier this year, I went into a bank on base and they were happy to unload their 50s on me when I was exchanging a few dollars. I can get whatever denom is in circ and if I wanted to I bet I could find someone who could get me coins too. Here its not a big deal...online it's friggin ridiculous...If it wasn't for the APO and my company I could make a business out of this! :lol:

I never bother mil finance, because I'm civ so I like to just be transparent as possible. I'm there to support but I don't want to hinder anyone. That's just me and where I'm at we have banks.

But I agree with what you say and it's always good to see a young man with his head on straight doing the best he can for his country. Its people like you that will keep our country strong. You have my ultimate respect!

Make it home safely

• Upvote 2

... it's always good to see a young man with his head on straight doing the best he can for his country. It

Thank you for your words, but I have been called a young man in years. The last time was probably when I was a Capt in the Air Force, and that was nearly a decade ago! Nope, I'm just a 'slimy contractor,' working as part of the total force effort to put this country back on it's feet and on a clear path toward a prosperous future!

:D

gbosh

• Upvote 2

Outstanding and informative post! Welcome to DV. There are some great people on this site. The mods and Adam are so gracious in allowing conflicting opinions and great debate even when it differs from their own. It allows us all to learn and peel this onion. I don't even look at any other sites. The people here are the best in my opinion. Be safe and well.

• Upvote 3

Hey gents.....when you go to the bank on or off base just ask them if the higher denoms are dropping in number.Also tell the on base Iraqi store owners to get you some lower denoms and you will pay handsomely.You will be amazed at the answers you get.And remember the large denoms will start to flow back with the RV. They are just taking CURRENCY OUT OF CIRCULATION until the RV happens.While no one may know the rate and date on these boards,it is obvious that the current theater of operations in IRAQ will come to the only conclusion that will heal all wounds--------RV.

• Upvote 3

GBOSH,

Thanks for sharing your current "in theatre" info. Please keep it coming.

When your exiting through BIAP, just be sure to keep the cash on your person. (Wallet, pockets, socks...)

They scan your check baggage downstairs upon arrival of your charter, as well as your carry on bags when you walk into the baggage claim area. Never been padded down since 06.

Now, when you fly out of BIAP, to Dubai, or wherever... you may get padded down, but as long as it doesnt bulge too bad in your pockets, or elsewhere, they wont say anything.

I have personally carried out every last dinar home in my wallet, or pockets. I never carried more than a million at a time, in fear of losing it. I did have a coworker who had a few million on him,

rolled up with a rubber band in his laptop bag. They spotted it in the xray machine and pulled him aside. He was told to exchange it prior to departure. Before exhanging it, another customs supervisor

stepped in, and asked why he had the dinar. He said it was an investment, but he would exchange it to avoid any conflict with Iraqi customs. The supervisor said it wasnt a problem since it was less than

10,000 USD value. Either way, I would not announce that I was carrying it.

Ive been home since August, and really do miss the interaction with the locals. They dont always seem to have too much intel. However, you can guarantee that when something big does happen...... they should be your best source. I always bought my dinar from the local contractors that I trusted. They never understood why I would want their money instead of USD. I would guage the RV factor by offering to buy a small amount from them at random.

they day they become hesitant to sell it to you, is the day you know something is happening.

Keep the real intel coming! from the average Joe local contractor..... the one who pumps the gas, or cleans the porto-johns. Not the iraqi "business man" who will lie to you to make a little cash.

Also.... How was the prime rib today? I miss DFAC on holidays.

Hey gents.....when you go to the bank on or off base just ask them if the higher denoms are dropping in number. Also tell the on base Iraqi store owners to get you some lower denoms and you will pay handsomely.You will be amazed at the answers you get.And remember the large denoms will start to flow back with the RV. They are just taking CURRENCY OUT OF CIRCULATION until the RV happens.While no one may know the rate and date on these boards,it is obvious that the current theater of operations in IRAQ will come to the only conclusion that will heal all wounds--------RV.

I don't have access to any banks (not allowed off base, none on base). The Iraqi merchants are glad to exchange Dinar (any denom) for $$ at this point. The favored exchange rate is usually 1000 per US$, but you can get them for less buying in qty. Either way they are going to get a small cut. Finance currently has plenty of all (paper) denominations and will provide them as either an exchange for US$ or just to 'color up' larger denoms. The young troops in the cashier's cage don't really revel in the exchange/purchase of Iraqi dinar, but will generally do as asked, even to do something as tedious as to provide the 'newer' bills when making an exchange.

YMMV, of course. Go RV!

gbosh

I have hand carried 17 million in my back pack a few mil at a time with no incident till June 2006

When I was detained at the security in Kuwait international and they took 3 million dinar from me detained me for 6 hours and fined me 380 KD for smuggling

I didn’t get a receipt and signed no paperwork so it is my belief that I just got robbed instead

Semper Fi

This is what I'm afraid of. Did they Kuwaiti security agents offer any method to transport the IQD without it being a smuggling operation? KD380 is a swift kick in the jimmies!

Thanks for the feedback!

gbosh

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When your exiting through BIAP, just be sure to keep the cash on your person. (Wallet, pockets, socks...)

They scan your check baggage downstairs upon arrival of your charter, as well as your carry on bags when you walk into the baggage claim area. Never been padded down since 06.

Now, when you fly out of BIAP, to Dubai, or wherever... you may get padded down, but as long as it doesnt bulge too bad in your pockets, or elsewhere, they wont say anything.

Good info. Right now it looks like I won't be leaving through BIAP. My biggest concern is the security at KWI and the possibility for theft.

gbosh