Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq Fears Unrest Amid Talk of U.S. Troop Withdrawal

Published April 22, 2011

WASHINGTON — Senior U.S. and Iraqi military officials have been in negotiations about keeping some 10,000 American troops in Iraq beyond the scheduled withdrawal of all U.S. forces at year's end, according to officials familiar with the talks.

But the discussions face political obstacles in both countries, and have faltered in recent weeks because of Iraqi worries that a continued U.S. military presence could fuel sectarian tension and lead to protests similar to those sweeping other Arab countries, U.S. officials say.

A separate drawdown deadline is looming in Afghanistan, where President Barack Obama wants to see a substantial U.S. troop reduction starting in July. Some U.S. commanders have cautioned against making reductions too quickly.

Underlining Obama administration concerns that U.S. forces have been stretched too thin, the White House has put strict constraints on American military involvement in Libya. On Thursday, the U.S. said it was sending armed drones to support operations in Libya, but the administration has stood firm against sending any ground troops.

In Iraq, top U.S. military officials believe that leaving a sizeable force beyond this year could bolster Iraqi stability and serve as a check on Iran, the major American nemesis in the region, officials said. U.S. allies Saudi Arabia and Israel have echoed the concern that if the U.S. pulls out completely, Iran could extend its influence.

Adm. Michael Mullen, the chairman of the U.S. military's Joint Chiefs of Staff, arrived in Baghdad Thursday, urging Iraqi leaders to step up discussions soon if they want U.S. forces to stay beyond the end of 2011.

My link

of course they fear it because Iran is going to move in and take over look who "we" i mean our president is supporting... can you say muslim brotherhood leaders... this guy is in the tank for all of them... and when they are finished with iraq they are all going to side against Israel... man it is coming to the end of the world as we know it my friends... sure hope someone with brains gets elected in 2011... you all might wanna check out the Congressman LTC Allen West for president this is a man with a brain not a suit with a hand up his @$$ playing puppet to all the special interest groups....biggrin.gif

of course they fear it because Iran is going to move in and take over look who "we" i mean our president is supporting... can you say muslim brotherhood leaders... this guy is in the tank for all of them... and when they are finished with iraq they are all going to side against Israel... man it is coming to the end of the world as we know it my friends... sure hope someone with brains gets elected in 2011... you all might wanna check out the Congressman LTC Allen West for president this is a man with a brain not a suit with a hand up his @$$ playing puppet to all the special interest groups....biggrin.gif

WOW! dont hold back,how do you really feel? :twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents:

Trump 2012!!!!

no way man please do your research on this guy and see who is really backing him he.... he is horrible on military issues but he does talk a good game... that is .... until you check his recent past, his comments on the war and his stance on health care just a year or so ago... please you all don't fall for this smoke and mirrors... heck just check out what the conservative "god" of the radio Glenn Beck has to say about this guy... I don't promote Glenn because we don't agree on a lot of stuff but he has it right on Trump

Please guys look into Allen West... he is a man who truly "GETS IT"