Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Shabibi stumbles

TRERUMPH

Iraq, CBI's Governor, Sinan Shabibi The Rising of Babylon check additional links at end of post.

On Tuesday, Shabibi goes to Washington ~ Iraq and the Paris Club ~ Financial confirmed it seeks to cancel the external debt ...

Interesting fact about CBI's Sinan Shabibi and the upcoming United Nations meeting, which will cover the global economy (UNCTAD), which Shabibi was (is) an expert ....

Central Bank of Iraq's Governor, Sinan Shabibi and the United Nations.

Was until retirement a Senior economist at the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development UNCTAD.

Must read - UNCTAD Trade and Development Report 2009

The report points to the importance of stabilizing real exchange rates at a sustainable level. Such a system would go a long way towards reducing the scope for speculative capital flows that generate volatility in the international financial system and distort the pattern of trade. A stable real exchange rate (RER) at a competitive level would achieve a number of targets simultaneously.

i really could not put my finger on this, but if anyone can elaborate??????

• Upvote 1

Here are the highlights from the report.......if you want to go to the website it has a whole lot more info......GO DINAR

Highlights

Prices: Developed countries US$ 55

Developing countries US$ 27.50

Least Developed Countries US$ 13.75

The Trade and Development Report 2009 presents a gloomy global economic outlook in the context of the ongoing global financial and economic crisis. It looks at the channels through which this deep crisis, which originated in developed countries, is spreading to developing and transition economies: through financial flows, international trade and commodity prices, migrants´ remittances and external debt.

The Trade and Development Report 2009 examines in some detail the short-term policy responses taken to tackle the immediate effects of this crisis. These include fiscal stimulus packages, monetary policy easing, and support for ailing financial institutions. Monetary easing and large bailout operations may have prevented a meltdown of the financial system, but they have been insufficient to revive global demand and halt rising unemployment. Countercyclical fiscal policy measures that have a direct effect on aggregate demand should be reinforced, in a coordinated global manner.

In analysing the causes of the crisis, the Trade and Development Report 2009 focuses on the role of excessive risk-taking made possible by financial deregulation and innovation in obscure financial instruments. It highlights the problem of the predominance of financial markets over the fundamentals of the real economy. The experience with this crisis proves that free financial markets do not lead to optimal social and macroeconomic outcomes, and suggests that the relationship between the State and market forces needs to be fundamentally reviewed. The Trade and Development Report 2009 discusses why and how the overall effectiveness of strengthened financial regulation will depend on the way in which measures for financial reform at the national level are combined with a reform of the international monetary and financial system.

Given the prevailing major shortcomings in the international financial and monetary system, UNCTAD draws attention to some elements of reform of the international financial architecture, which is long overdue. These include effective capital account management, strengthening the role of special drawing rights, and a multilaterally agreed framework for exchange rate management. These reforms imply a fundamental rethinking of global financial governance to stabilize trade and financial relations by reducing the potential for gains from speculative capital flows. This will reduce the likelihood of similar crises in the future and help create a stable macroeconomic environment conducive to growth and smooth structural change in developing countries.

Another pressing preoccupation for peoples and governments around the world continues to be the threat of global warming, which implies considerable risks for living conditions and developmental progress. Against this background, the Trade and Development Report 2009 is addressing the question of how increased efforts aimed at climate change mitigation can be combined with forward-looking development strategies and rapid growth in developing countries. Climate change mitigation should be associated with a process of global structural change, in which demand will shift from greenhouse gas-intensive modes of production and consumption to more climate-friendly modes. The challenge for developing countries will be to seize the growth opportunities created by the new and fast-growing markets in "environmental goods".

http://www.unctad.org/templates/webflyer.asp?intitemid=1397&docid=11867

I don't believe that was a stumble...I think that is someone that has visualized the question being asked a thousand times and that is exactly, how he choose to present his answer. :) Well, that is my opinion anyways! :)

Get ready peeps, change is coming and for the better, again...IMHO.

Go RV!

Like all of you, I listened to the audio of Shabibi several times. I even listened to it the last time with my eyes closed in an attempt to analyze every change in his voice. I am not well after this roller coaster ride! LOL Anyway, in spite of the language barrier, he was definitely doing more than a little dancing around the issues and agree that he was "stumbling" to a certain extent. First of all, he is not going to tell us anything. We all know that. However, this is not the first time this man has spoken in front of a group in English. Overall I think his performance was a little less than I expected as far as the continuity and confidence in his statements. Don't know what that means. Maybe not telling us the truth.....maybe just a poor public speaker! Just my opinion!