Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Gates just landed in Iraq

butkus51

Secretary of Defense - Gates is in Iraq, talking to the Iraqi government about filling the secirity position, so that they can handle their own security issues. I do not have the specific link, but it is from AP (associated press)

Merging the dual topics and adding the link:

http://www.defense.g...e.aspx?id=63456

Edited by pleasantvalleySunday

Just a few minutes ago CNN announced Gates just landed in Iraq with a surprise visit. Went to website but didn't see anything posted yet. Anchor Don? Lemon said it probably had to do with withdrawal of American troops. ???

Edited by 1978parker

I hope this is talking about our own rich Bill Gates. That would be a great thing. Maybe he went over to offer someone a bribe to "get r done." Just kidding of course, I am sure Mr. Gates is an upstanding citizen.

I am on ban patrol so this is fruitless. AP reported that Gates is there to deal with the security minister, etc.. Hey, Ms. Pleasentvalley, maybe you can pass this one and while you are at it re-read the Rothchild post and analyze my comment.

• Downvote 1

This is from Reuters.

Gates, who has visited Iraq around a dozen times since he became defense secretary in 2006, will call on Iraqi leaders to fill key cabinet vacancies and shore up a wobbly coalition government formed late last year, U.S. defense officials said.

"He'll be there to reaffirm the administration's commitment to a long-term partnership with Iraq," a senior U.S. defense official said on condition of anonymity.

The visit from Gates comes as Washington grapples with unprecedented political turmoil across the Arab world and looks to wind down its involvement in Iraq more than eight years after the U.S.-led invasion to topple Saddam Hussein. Gates is expected to step down this year.

Violence has subsided substantially in Iraq from its peak in 2006 and 2007, but a stubborn insurgency remains capable of mounting major attacks. Just last week, gunmen killed almost 60 people at a provincial council headquarters.

The continued attacks raise questions about whether Iraqi forces can secure the country after the remaining 47,000 U.S. soldiers withdraw at the end of 2011 as planned. There has been speculation that Iraq could ask them to stay longer.

The United States, engaged in a long war in Afghanistan and now in military action in Libya, has been withdrawing equipment and closing bases in Iraq for some time, but commanders plan to accelerate the final withdrawal in late summer or early fall, the defense official said.

The Obama administration has signaled its openness to some sort of continued presence if Iraq asks for it.

"We are moving forward with the drawdown of our forces in compliance with the (current) security agreement," the defense official said.

"If they are going to ask for modification or anything else, it would probably be in their interest to ask for it sooner rather than later because we're starting to run out of months. ... The ball is in their court."

Gates will press Iraqi leaders to ensure a new defense minister is put in place quickly. Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki formed a Shi'ite-led government including Sunni and Kurdish factions in December, but key security posts remain vacant.

Former Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's Iraqiya alliance, which won the most votes last year's elections with the backing of minority Sunnis, has been promised the post.

"It's in both our interests to make sure that Iraqi security forces are in the right place at the end of 2011," the U.S. official said.

Gates is the going to bring the sonic boom of the whip! GO RV!

• Upvote 1

Everybody keeps goin to this post. I put the link on another post cause it was too late to edit. Didn't think about just replying. Think I would be good at this by now. <_<

Here is the link to the website and story.

Apr. 06, 2011

Gates Visits Troops, Meets Officials in Iraq

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates has arrived in Baghdad to visit U.S. troops and meet with Iraqi officials to discuss the importance of completing the formation of Iraq’s government as U.S. troops draw down. Story

http://www.defense.gov/

The idea that the U.S. has interest(s) in pushing the GOI to speed up the process of fully forming their Govt. is intriguing. They must have some sort of interest, take, or reasoning.

I believe, we all tend to have a certain degree of ulterior motives. I wonder which motive it is for the U.S.??

Simple answers could be: RV, crude, etc. etc.

Interesting, as we have confirmation of a few other big-time reporters over there.

The idea that the U.S. has interest(s) in pushing the GOI to speed up the process of fully forming their Govt. is intriguing. They must have some sort of interest, take, or reasoning.

I believe, we all tend to have a certain degree of ulterior motives. I wonder which motive it is for the U.S.??

Simple answers could be: RV, crude, etc. etc.

Interesting, as we have confirmation of a few other big-time reporters over there.

A radio station here in Kansas had stated last Sat. that Obama had made a statement in which he said that before he let the government shut down, he had an ACE up his sleeve that would take of the budget and unemployment at the same time. I heard this radio piece myself. Then there was the statement on here that the same thing was talked about on Fox News. RV maybe? Good reason to now, ask for another week on our budget because Iraq can’t get it together. And send Gates over to whip it together?

• Upvote 1

maybe gates is the one who can get maliki to relent and give allawi the minister he is supposed to get via the erbil agreements. that's what this is all about. maliki doesn't want allawi to have any power so he is reneging on his commitment to give the list their due, in an all out power grab, while allawi just hangs around and vetoes all of maliki's submissions. so dumb! so "dictator mentality" so childish, yet so deadly to the iraqi people. c'mon Gates. get them going!!!!

Sounds great! Something might get done. But if they don't get rid of whoever is holding this up, it could be a while.

A senior Defense Department official told reporters traveling with the secretary that in his meetings with Iraqi officials, Gates plans to discuss the importance of completing the formation of Iraq’s government, especially the security-related ministries, as the United States draws down its forces. He’ll also discuss the need for progress in implementing the reconciliation agreements that were part of the initial government formation process in the fall, the official said.

Gates also will reaffirm the U.S. commitment to a long-term partnership with Iraq, the official added, and will emphasize the mutual benefits of a relationship that continues beyond the scheduled departure of U.S. forces by the year’s end.

I'm hoping that with Gates being a military man (key word: man) and the Secretary of Defense for the U.S. that the Iraqis will listen and follow the directions and get this thing done with. This step in the GOI needs to happen, even if it takes a bit more time for the rest, they need a defense minister.

I am sorry, but I cannot stop laughing. How ludicrous that we have to send a high level official to get them to install their government. I hope he gives Maliki a lickin'. I wonder if Gates made M take a time out or cut his allowance, maybe took his Hot Wheels away for a weekend.

I just don't know what else to say, except yippee! I love this story.