Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Dave Ramsey

As an old over-the-road trucker, I've listened to many hours of Dave Ramsey and found his advice to be common sense and in tune with the average person's finances. I've searched his site for anything on the Dinar...but I really don't think Dave would approve, somehow (maybe I'm wrong). He is conservative in his views, but I can't help but wonder if ole Dave would have a word or two that might apply to our post-RV "problem".

I've taken much of Dave's advice "free" over the years, but he isn't as flashy or prestigious as some of the law firms that people are being corralled into at other sites. Any mention of Dave Ramsey is excised quickly over there, so that tells me who that website is devoted to...and why.

I'm wondering if anyone here has taken any of Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace University" classes or seminars? I know he has information for investing, business, retirement...even bankruptcy...but I've never been able to attend one. Is Dave really as earnest as he comes across on the radio?

My link

• Upvote 4

I have some frineds who have taken Dave's Financial Peace University - They have great things to say about it.

Have also heard there was a call in that Dave took regarding investing in the Iraqi Dinar - He said to stay away.

This investment probably carries to much risk for him to directly advise someone to invest.

Go RV 2011!!! :)

• Upvote 1

As an old over-the-road trucker, I've listened to many hours of Dave Ramsey and found his advice to be common sense and in tune with the average person's finances. I've searched his site for anything on the Dinar...but I really don't think Dave would approve, somehow (maybe I'm wrong). He is conservative in his views, but I can't help but wonder if ole Dave would have a word or two that might apply to our post-RV "problem".

I've taken much of Dave's advice "free" over the years, but he isn't as flashy or prestigious as some of the law firms that people are being corralled into at other sites. Any mention of Dave Ramsey is excised quickly over there, so that tells me who that website is devoted to...and why.

I'm wondering if anyone here has taken any of Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace University" classes or seminars? I know he has information for investing, business, retirement...even bankruptcy...but I've never been able to attend one. Is Dave really as earnest as he comes across on the radio?

My link

I have taken one of his classes and attended a seminar. One of his big things is "Can you afford it?" And it goes down to your morning cup of coffee, if you can't afford to pay for it, then don't drink it. I think he would have the same ideas about this investment, Can you afford it? If it is taking money away from your other responsibilities, then he would say no way, but if you can afford to invest the money, then I don't see why he would be against it. His BIGGEST thing is Debt, he hates debt and wants everyone to stay away from it, so he wouldn't support your investment if it caused you to go into debt to cover up what you spent. JMO

• Upvote 2

I am a coordinator of Dave's FPU classes, IMHO he is as earnest as he would appear! I really appreciate what his program does for people and what he has done through his program to help the "average joe" get their financial picture in order, and to make wise money decision. One of his biggest beliefs is not using credit cards, look what the American people spend on interest a year to the banks! You could take a look on his website and possibly choose to take his classes online, that might be a way for you to experience the FPU classes with your busy driving schedule.

I would say Dave would definitely be against investing in the Dinar as a retirement type investment! I would hazard a guess he would suggest you stay away from this investment period, even if you had the extra money to burn. That being said, I believe in his FPU system, hold classes every year and I still bought some Dinar with the hope of it gaining significantly. He tells everyone to take from his classes that which they can grasp, start working toward a better financial future, and you will on your own start making better choices and maybe gravitate towards the other ideas he has presented through his classes, as you see the ideas begin to work in practice.

• Upvote 6

You asked is he as "earnest" as he sounds. I don't know him personally and I don't run up and say "Hi" when ever I see him at a hockey game or out eating. But from what I gather he is the real thing. He is very well known and constantly in the spot light and you only hear good things coming from him and about him. He seems to "walk the walk"

• Upvote 4

I'm sorry...I wasn't clear.

When I say post-RV "problem"...I mean post-RV INVESTMENTS.

I know all about what Dave talks about, been listening for years. I'm pretty sure his opinion of what we are all doing here would be pretty low. What I'm wondering about would be Dave's outlook for investing funds that result from a revalue of the Dinar.

I'm sure at that point, Dave wouldn't really care!

My link

I HAVE LISTENED TO DAVE FOR MANY YEARS--ADVICE--BUY ONE OF HIS BOOKS ON EBAY

MAYBE USED AND READ FIRST TO MAKE SURE THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT.

THO I HAVE NOT DIERCTLY FOWLLED HIS ADVICE, ,INDIRTECTLY I HAVE.

YES I DO TRUST HIM,

MY PERSONAL OPINION

• Upvote 1

I Have taken Daves class with my family and give it a thumbs up. This should be a requirement for high school seniors, as it would keep many out of trouble with credit cards and other debt. In my opinion Dave would not endorse our investment as he looks for safe investments that pay consistantly over a period of years.

• Upvote 2

If we just forgot about Dinars and credit cards altogether...and just say a "Person with a lot of money" wanted some wise investment advice...would Dave be a good one to talk to?

Does he ever touch on the subject of how to invest funds (regardless of where they came from)? I know all about the advice he gives folks about staying out of debt, etc. - but I've rarely heard about him offering advice to anybody that might NOT be in financial trouble.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is Dave kind of in this "get out of debt" niche...and not anything about simply investing money?

As far as your question about Dave's sincerity...I went to church with Dave for 7 years in Nashville and worked summer youth camp with him and got to know him very well. I saw him climb out of debt, drive a used car and then by practicing what he preaches, soar to unimaginalbe wealth while helping a lot of people. So, a short answer to your question, yes, without a doubt Dave is a true blue as they come. I admit that I dont see eye to eye with him on every financial subject, but he is as honest and sincere as anyone I know.

• Upvote 5

He definitely is in the "get out of debt" niche, and with good reason, look at the scope of the American household! He could certainly discuss at great lengths the differing oppurtunities for investing at his FPU classes, but what good would it do when the overwhelming majority of the attendees are living paycheck to paycheck with not extra money to invest anywhere?

• Upvote 1

My link

I am in the middle of taking it now... and yes he is earnest.

• Upvote 1

I am in the middle of taking it now... and yes he is earnest.

My wife and I went through Financial Peace University. Lots of "good" information, much of it is spot on and insightful.

When we got to the session on Investments, my blood boiled and I thought "that is really, really IGNORANT" - what did Dave Ramsey say?? Buying GOLD is BAD, BAD, BAD!!! His advice was to buy mutual funds!!!!!!!!!!!! (That is REALLY SICK, stupid and WRONG headed IMO!!)

Well, that stirred up a huge argument with my wife since I had been accumulating gold and silver since gold was at $253 an ounce and silver was $4 an ounce. Where is GOLD now ($1400 an ounce and silver is $35). Where are mutual funds?? Most lost 40%, and that really hurt people (These people must now REMAKE 66% to make up for this loss). This allowed me to extend my "3 months of living expenses emergency reserve to go to 21 months!!" (I guess I was right, NOT DAVE RAMSEY!)

My biggest BEEF with Ramsey is he does not encourage you to BECOME AN INVESTOR, but to follow his advice. That is really short-sighted and does not serve his audience. EVERYONE IN THIS INVESTMENT MUST SEEK OUT THEIR OWN EDUCATION, not trust it to others. USE ADVISORS, but YOU MUST BE MASTER OF YOUR SHIP.

REMEMBER, YOU are the CAPTAIN. Use all of your advisors, but BE MASTER OF YOUR SHIP!! This is the reason I prefer RICH DAD, POOR DAD author Robert Kiyosaki. He emphasizes YOUR EDUCATION on becoming an investor.

• Upvote 3

My wife and I went through Financial Peace University. Lots of "good" information, much of it is spot on and insightful.

When we got to the session on Investments, my blood boiled and I thought "that is really, really IGNORANT" - what did Dave Ramsey say?? Buying GOLD is BAD, BAD, BAD!!! His advice was to buy mutual funds!!!!!!!!!!!! (That is REALLY SICK, stupid and WRONG headed IMO!!)

Well, that stirred up a huge argument with my wife since I had been accumulating gold and silver since gold was at $253 an ounce and silver was $4 an ounce. Where is GOLD now ($1400 an ounce and silver is $35). Where are mutual funds?? Most lost 40%, and that really hurt people (These people must now REMAKE 66% to make up for this loss). This allowed me to extend my "3 months of living expenses emergency reserve to go to 21 months!!" (I guess I was right, NOT DAVE RAMSEY!)

My biggest BEEF with Ramsey is he does not encourage you to BECOME AN INVESTOR, but to follow his advice. That is really short-sighted and does not serve his audience. EVERYONE IN THIS INVESTMENT MUST SEEK OUT THEIR OWN EDUCATION, not trust it to others. USE ADVISORS, but YOU MUST BE MASTER OF YOUR SHIP.

REMEMBER, YOU are the CAPTAIN. Use all of your advisors, but BE MASTER OF YOUR SHIP!! This is the reason I prefer RICH DAD, POOR DAD author Robert Kiyosaki. He emphasizes YOUR EDUCATION on becoming an investor.

• Upvote 1

Sorry computer went dead. As a Chartered Financial Consultant, I suggest to all please talk to either a ChFC or CFP with years of experience. Buying growth mutual funds is not for everybody. Know your risk tolerence at all times. Never stay invested in growth funds because you need them to go up. The question you should ask is can you afford for them to go down? Minus 10 and plus 10 does not equal 0 when investing. If you have $100,000 and the market drops 50% and the goes up 50% you only have $75,000. The idea of buying just term insurance should only be the case if you can be assured that you will have enough money to self insure. In the last few years when peoples accounts dropped 50% do you think they were self insured. I doubt it. I have kept detailed records of my clients for the last 25 years and only 5% who have come to me for advice on ther retirement rollovers have had enough to relly enjoy retirement at age 65. If you don't have Long Term Care insurance and spend 4 or 5 years in a nursing home at $75.000 to $100,000 a year would your spouse need you life insurance?

And by the way. If you buy a used car with no warranty and it costs 2,3 or $4000 a year to keep it running are you really better off.

I could go on and on but the only good thing I get from any book or tape seller is get out of debt. However, if debt is making you money then debt can be a good thing. For example, 8 years ago I bought a company for $1.5 MILLON DOLLARS and financed 100%. I drew a salary and dividends of 250 k per year and today the company is paid for, the building purchased and paid for and now worth $2.5 million. Do you rent forever because you can't pay cash for a house?

Remember, you are different from every other investor. You have your own level of risk at any given time. One size does not fit all.

Excellent post Hardmoney

• Upvote 2

Sorry computer went dead. As a Chartered Financial Consultant, I suggest to all please talk to either a ChFC or CFP with years of experience. Buying growth mutual funds is not for everybody. Know your risk tolerence at all times. Never stay invested in growth funds because you need them to go up. The question you should ask is can you afford for them to go down? Minus 10 and plus 10 does not equal 0 when investing. If you have $100,000 and the market drops 50% and the goes up 50% you only have $75,000. The idea of buying just term insurance should only be the case if you can be assured that you will have enough money to self insure. In the last few years when peoples accounts dropped 50% do you think they were self insured. I doubt it. I have kept detailed records of my clients for the last 25 years and only 5% who have come to me for advice on ther retirement rollovers have had enough to relly enjoy retirement at age 65. If you don't have Long Term Care insurance and spend 4 or 5 years in a nursing home at $75.000 to $100,000 a year would your spouse need you life insurance?

And by the way. If you buy a used car with no warranty and it costs 2,3 or $4000 a year to keep it running are you really better off.

I could go on and on but the only good thing I get from any book or tape seller is get out of debt. However, if debt is making you money then debt can be a good thing. For example, 8 years ago I bought a company for $1.5 MILLON DOLLARS and financed 100%. I drew a salary and dividends of 250 k per year and today the company is paid for, the building purchased and paid for and now worth $2.5 million. Do you rent forever because you can't pay cash for a house?

Remember, you are different from every other investor. You have your own level of risk at any given time. One size does not fit all.

Excellent post Hardmoney

Using someone who is an expert in any given field is a wise decision, and you sound like one of those people. I have an older brother who is a nursing home admin. I can tell you that long term care is very important and relatively cheap considering the cost of the care. I agree with most of what you've stated, but c'mon a used car costing $2-4k to keep running? What kind of car is that? I have four used vehicles that I paid cash for with no warranty, and I have not spent 2-4K on "keeping them running" between the four of them. Nothing wrong with having a mortgage either but lets be honest there are lots of people right now who should have been renting instead of "owning" a home they could not afford to buy, and then using more credit to furnish it. Throw in a couple car loans and you see the picture of a huge percentage of Americans today, they are either suffering bigtime or being foreclosed on!

Great point on the risk level, everyone has a certain level they will not be comfortable passing, I have a few of my friends who believe I am crazy to have invested in the Dinar! Who knows maybe they will be right in the end, but here I am. ;)

Rich Dad Poor Dad is a great book! I would highly recommend it.

• Upvote 4

When I say post-RV "problem"...I mean post-RV INVESTMENTS.

I'm sure at that point, Dave wouldn't really care!

Dave would and does recommend you getting with one of his certified financial guys. After and only after you have done all of the other steps. Then invest in mutual funds, looking for about a 12% return.

For general in formation check out Robert Kiyosaki , Rich Dad / Poor Dad. For Corporate info look at Garrett Sutton/ Al Allen, Sutton is one of the Rich Dad team players, great stuff! For stocks learn as much as you can about William O'Neal. Folks that study these type of people speak highly of him. His has several great books and runs a paper, IBD Investors Business Daily. My kids manage some of my/our stocks using his methods and do very well. They are in middle school. I can't wait for the RV just to see the numbers they will post. Adam said that he has been working on lots of post RV investment things that the VIP group will be able to look at. Good luck to ya.

Thanks for the information, everybody! Hardmoney...that's exactly the details I was looking for. I also appreciate the recommendations on reading material. Wealth management is not a problem I've ever had to deal with...but I'm willing to throw myself in front of it for the sake of developing character! :P

If we just forgot about Dinars and credit cards altogether...and just say a "Person with a lot of money" wanted some wise investment advice...would Dave be a good one to talk to?

Does he ever touch on the subject of how to invest funds (regardless of where they came from)? I know all about the advice he gives folks about staying out of debt, etc. - but I've rarely heard about him offering advice to anybody that might NOT be in financial trouble.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is Dave kind of in this "get out of debt" niche...and not anything about simply investing money?

You framed your original question well enough, but our attention spans are sometimes easily diverted. Your follow up questions overshadowed what you really wanted to know... IF I follow your question correctly, Dave has a host of associates he refers to but I don't believe he actually advises in the investment category. His ministry is debt specific as that is his calling. He did it and now leads others to freedom as free from debt. Listen for referrals. He does "suggest"...

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the information, everybody! Hardmoney...that's exactly the details I was looking for. I also appreciate the recommendations on reading material. Wealth management is not a problem I've ever had to deal with...but I'm willing to throw myself in front of it for the sake of developing character! :P

Glad it helped!

I would highly recommend starting with Rich Dad's Cash Flow Quadrant first (if you havent read Rich Dad Poor Dad) then Rich Dad's Guide to investing & Own your Own Corporation.

If you have any kids or any kids look up to you, read Rich Kid Smart Kid to help them get ahead of the curve.

Unfortunately, NONE of this financial education is taught in schools, so you have to take matters into your own hands and educate yourself.

To a RICH & Blessed LIFE!

• 2 months later...

This is good solid information! Dave ramsey is a fantastic starting place. "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" is where I started. For some starting at "Cash Flow Quadrant" will work. I was not ready for it at the beginning of my learning.

Glad it helped!

I would highly recommend starting with Rich Dad's Cash Flow Quadrant first (if you havent read Rich Dad Poor Dad) then Rich Dad's Guide to investing & Own your Own Corporation.

If you have any kids or any kids look up to you, read Rich Kid Smart Kid to help them get ahead of the curve.

Unfortunately, NONE of this financial education is taught in schools, so you have to take matters into your own hands and educate yourself.

To a RICH & Blessed LIFE!

I believe the main thing about YOUR financial education is to start now with it! the appendixes of the book your reading will go a long ways towards getting YOUR fiancial education where it should be. IMHO

All our very good to great posts on this thread! To all of you! :tiphat::tiphat::tiphat: