Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Japan Mess

JuryPicker

This is my first time to start a thread so here goes. I have been watching the crisis in Japan unfold and I have noticed something. I have not heard one report on Looting, Rioting, Street Violence etc. I think we can take a giant lesson from this. When Kat hit New Orleans it was a total different story. Pick

• Upvote 1

This is my first time to start a thread so here goes. I have been watching the crisis in Japan unfold and I have noticed something. I have not heard one report on Looting, Rioting, Street Violence etc. I think we can take a giant lesson from this. When Kat hit New Orleans it was a total different story. Pick

good observation--the japanese people have higher standards than us-- :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I lived in Japan north of Tokyo the 1st time and south of Hiroshima the 2nd. I have my BA in Japanese studies, so I know this culture. The only way to sum it up is this is a very disciplined culture. They would never act that way out of shame (looting or rioting). While it is good that they are calm, I am not sure I agree with how they got there (mentally). This comment is to the person who said we should take lessons from how they are handling the situation. In this culture, no one steps out of line. For example, one of my students who was also a teacher at a Jr. High was telling me that she bought a BLUE car and that was quite rebellious. (They even all buy the same color of cars WHITE.)

The one thing that really disappointed me about their culture is they are very racist. This was the only country I was in where I was denied service because the color of my skin, and I’m a white chick with blonde hair and blue eyes. I think it will be interesting to see how much help they actually accept from other countries. Some of my dearest friends are Japanese. I am sad for them and worry about their families. They are changing as a culture and becoming worldlier and accepting of other cultures as more of their young people study overseas.

I am also interested to see how honest they are about what is really going on with the nuclear plant. They consider it rude to tell someone bad news, and they will lie to your face to avoid doing so. I pray for all of them. While my comments may seem negative about their culture, I am just stating a fact. It doesn’t make me love this country or this culture any less because it is near and dear to my heart. I hope we can all grow closer as a global community as we are able to help one another.

Edited by Chancy949
  • Upvote 2