Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Drivers detained for paying FL tolls with U.S. currency

Don Paul

I would say delayed, not detained. You worded it to sound like they were being held for using US currency. Instead it is delayed for using big bills. Seriously, who pays a $1 toll with a $100?

LOL, I tried to pay with a $50 (That's all I had) in Houston and they wouldn't take any bills over $20, so they had me sign something and gave me an envelope to send in what I owed.

If the reason for refusing high denomination bills is fear of counterfeit currency, the green pen that retail vendors seem to trust should do the job.

It might even be reasonable to simply refuse $50 and larger bills ( I think some states do that as a matter of course- to avoid running out of small bills).

Detaining someone for using a $5, $10 or $20 seems wrong and may certainly have onerous intentions.

Maybe the toll taker is punished for taking high denomination bills?

I would say delayed, not detained. You worded it to sound like they were being held for using US currency. Instead it is delayed for using big bills. Seriously, who pays a $1 toll with a $100?

Well, seriously if you travel allot you might be caught in that situation. We have so many toll stops here in florida it's not even funny. If you get in a sunpass line (which is pre-pay toll device) and you wont be able to pay and then they will charge you 25 bucks. Now they have camera's at some of the lights and if your in a yellow and it turns red......click and there you go! a 150 ticket. Trust me I know, I just paid 130 bucks for my son and have to pay 150 for my daughter.

Well, seriously if you travel allot you might be caught in that situation. We have so many toll stops here in florida it's not even funny. If you get in a sunpass line (which is pre-pay toll device) and you wont be able to pay and then they will charge you 25 bucks. Now they have camera's at some of the lights and if your in a yellow and it turns red......click and there you go! a 150 ticket. Trust me I know, I just paid 130 bucks for my son and have to pay 150 for my daughter.

Daughters are always more expensive than sons :)

• Upvote 1

I live in Florida, and use SunPass, so I never have cash for the tolls. No reason to carry cash anymore, even the airport takes SunPass for payment.

My point of this post is to raise the awareness level of how the present powers that be are 'criminalizing' cash. Its like you will be treated like a criminal if you even try to pay for plane tickets using cash. I dont particularly like the idea that WHOMEVER wants, can see what I have in my account or money. Not to mention identity and credit card theft is on the rise.

I also have a beef with these cameras on intersections. Ive already received a ticket for 'running a red light', and I can assure you I am the most careful driver you can imagine, and wonder just how 'sensitive' this camera is to passing a newly turned yellow light? try to prove that in court. they know you wont go thru all the trouble to fight it for $80.

• Upvote 1

My point of this post is to raise the awareness level of how the present powers that be are 'criminalizing' cash. Its like you will be treated like a criminal if you even try to pay for plane tickets using cash. I dont particularly like the idea that WHOMEVER wants, can see what I have in my account or money. Not to mention identity and credit card theft is on the rise.

If that bothers you, this will really bother you.

Chip-enabled National ID Card To Start May 2011

I live in Florida, and use SunPass, so I never have cash for the tolls. No reason to carry cash anymore, even the airport takes SunPass for payment.

Thats exactly what the powers to be want you to do. Play right into their hands and don't carry any cash. You are one of their favorite sons. America went cashless years ago. Along with our rights.

If that bothers you, this will really bother you.

Not sure if your comment is substantiated. Here is what SNOPES has to say about that:

Chip-enabled National ID Card To Start May 2011

Not sure your information is substatiated. Here is what SNOPES has to say about National ID:

Real ID, False Concerns

Claim: By 2011, drivers will have to submit to formal identification checks and have chips bearing federal ID numbers implanted in their hands

MIXTURE OF TRUE AND FALSE INFORMATION:

TRUE: By 2011, motorists will have to submit to formal identification checks to obtain or renew U.S. drivers licenses.

FALSE: A federal identification number will be issued to each driver's license holder who has passed the identification process.

FALSE: Chips bearing federal identification numbers will be implanted into motorists' hands. FALSE: The Real ID program mandates that U.S. citizens carry on them at all times a "natonal ID card" which will allow them to be tracked via GPS.

content-divider.gif

Examples:

[Collected via e-mail, February 2011]

In less than 90 days, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW to carry a "National ID" card.

Based on the provisions of The Real ID Act of 2005 (Public Law 109-13, 119 Stat 392), Barack Obama's Department of Homeland Security will now require the federalization of State-issued driver's licenses by May 11, 2011.

The new cards, disguised as a uniform drivers' license, will be biometric. Each card will store up to a gigabyte of personal data about the card holder AND will contain a GPS tracking chip.

The government will know where you are at all times.

No one is talking about this ... and certainly, this is something the Obama administration would like to keep quiet.

Barack Obama's America is quickly becoming Nazi Germany. Did you ever think you would experience invasive, Big Brother tactics in which uniformed officers ask: "Let me see your papers?"

George Orwell's "1984" has finally arrived - 27 years late.

According to financial limits established by the Unfunded Mandates Reform Act of 1995 (Public Law 104-4, 2 USC 1501), this law cannot be implemented because the cost exceeds the limits the federal government can impose on the States. But we know Barack Obama doesn't care what the U.S. Constitution says. SO WE HAVE TO CARE, AND WE HAVE TO STOP HIM.

PLEASE SELECT THIS LINK to FAX every Member of the U.S. Congress. Tell them to STOP any form of National I.D. cards or National Drivers' license. Tell Congress that the Real ID Act goes beyond constitutional limits, and that the American people will not be subjected to what amounts to an internal passport. This is an unlawful demand on the States and an invasion of your privacy as a U.S. citizen. WE MUST PRESERVE OUR PERSONAL FREEDOMS in the United States of America.

In 1993 the Clinton administration tried to create a national card — first as a healthcare card, then as a "jobs card" to keep illegal aliens from stealing jobs from U.S. citizens. In 1996, it became a national drivers' license.

If this battle is not waged---and won---by May 11, 2011, "Real ID" will go into effect.

You will have to carry your card to vote.

You will have to carry your card to enter a federal building.

You will have to carry your card to buy a plane ticket.

You will have to keep your "national driver's license" on your person at all times, whether you are driving or not - you will need it whether you are playing tennis, sitting on your front porch, or walking up to the corner to catch a taxi.

THOSE OF US WHO RESPECT OUR CONSTITUTION AND HOLD OUR PRIVACY IN HIGH ESTEEM MUST ACT NOW TO STOP THIS INTRUSION. MAY 11 IS FAST APPROACHING.

PLEASE SELECT THIS LINK to FAX every Member of the U.S. Congress. Tell them to STOP any form of National I.D. cards or National Drivers' license. Tell Congress that the Real ID Act goes beyond constitutional limits, and that the American people will not be subjected to what amounts to an internal passport. This is an unlawful demand on the States and an invasion of your privacy as a U.S. citizen. WE MUST PRESERVE OUR PERSONAL FREEDOMS in the United States of America.

Most states are already compliant well before the deadline. Personal data about you has already been taken and it has been stored in a dossier about you.

The impetus for REAL ID stemmed from recommendations from the 9/11 Commission, although the standards established by the 9/11 Commission have already been repealed. REAL ID requires State driver's license authorities to use more stringent measures to verify Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses, proof of citizenship, and immigration status. The Act prescribes 18 SEPARATE SECURITY CONTROLS that States are now required to use when issuing driver's licenses.

And this information will be available to law enforcement officials in all other States. That means the presumptions of "unreasonable search" are void, because if you are stopped in any State for speeding, the police in that State can "read" the database assigned to your card and virtually "share your information" over the Internet with any other government agency in any state.

PLEASE SELECT THIS LINK to FAX every Member of the U.S. Congress. Tell them to REPEAL, RESCIND, or CUT THE FUNDING to implement REAL I.D. This is so important that, if we lose this one, personal liberty in the United States will have been lost, perhaps permanently! The Real ID Act goes beyond constitutional limits. This is an unlawful demand on the States and an invasion of your privacy as a U.S. citizen. WE MUST PRESERVE OUR PERSONAL FREEDOMS in the United States of America.

The Department of Homeland Security insists the new drivers' licenses cannot be construed as a "National ID Card" because the cards are issued by the States and not the federal government. However, the Real ID Act mandates national standards and national formatting which the States must abide by in creating their "State" cards.

In addition to some First Amendment concerns, the REAL ID Act violates the Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, because driver's license, as such, should come under State purview, not the laws of the federal government. A federal drivers' license violates the Tenth Amendment with respect to State power, and obliterates the states' dual sovereignty with the federal government, making the State subservient to the federal government.

We must do everything that we can to invalidate this Act by May 11, 2011.

Ultimately, just as Social Security Cards were never supposed to be used for ID purposes, Real ID drivers' license will, very quickly, become de facto national ID cards, which is why people who don't drive will still need to carry one.

REAL ID is REAL intrusive! We must make sure this doesn't happen in America. Please send your faxes now.

[Collected via e-mail, April 2007]

I need to share with you what happened to me last month. As most of you know, I moved down to California from Alaska just over 2 years ago. I didn't want to get a California's drivers license until my Alaska license expired - which it did last month.

This is the experience I had: I went online and downloaded the DMV form an my Alaska Drivers license had my photo on it and thought that maybe that would help her out. She waved my AK DL in front of me and stated "California doesn't recognize this as a Federal ID"!!! I was floored. She told me to return with my birth certificate. I left...angry of course. I went home and ordered my birth certificate from Nevada,. costing me $41.00.

Three days later I went back into the DMV (my AKDL was expired at this point). I took the test, passed and was going through the process of obtaining my California license... the clerk then asked me what last name I would be using on my drivers license!!! Incredulously I asked her what on earth is she talking about. She then informed me that the last name on my birth certificate was different than what was on my Alaska drivers license and she didn't know which name to use! I stared at her with my mouth open in astonishment! I then managed to explain to her that the last name I had been born with was called my "maiden" name, which of course changed when I had married... thus explaining the different last name showing on my Alaska Drivers License. She asked me if I had changed my name back to my maiden name when I divorced and I informed her I hadn't. She then told me that in order to give me the California Drivers License I had to bring in a certified copy of my marriage certificate to prove my name had indeed been changed from my maiden to married last name! We're talking about something that happened over 25 years ago!

NOW I'm being asked to prove my name had changed! At this point I flipped out and in a very threatening voice told the clerk that I'd come into the DMV three freakin times to get a blasted drivers license and I wasn't leaving without one. I informed her that I was divorced and didn't even have a marriage certificate (having gleefully destroyed it along time ago along with my wedding pictures).. I had provided her with more than the required two pieces of identity. I was furious! The clerk's supervisor was sitting next to her and told the clerk to go ahead and give me the drivers license.

At that point they required me to submit my thumbprint to them. I complained about the lack of freedom in this state and asked them why they just didn't tell everyone that in order to get a drivers license in their state we would need to bring in a suitcase full of ID,s as well as blood and urine samples to go with our thumbprints!! The supervisor then informed me that as of May 2008 that won't be necessary as every state will require (as per Federal Law) every driver to go to the DMV and obtain a FEDERAL ID number which will be implanted in the hand of the individual!!!! They ACTUALLY told me this at the DMV! Apparently, several years ago the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT tried to get a law passed requiring everyone to receive a FEDERAL ID NUMBER. It was turned down by the citizens of the United States.

Well, the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT being the lying, cheating criminals that they are - quietly inserted that law into a bill giving federal funds to the Katrina victims. When that bill passed... so did the requirement to receive a FEDERAL ID NUMBER! According to that (now) law, as of MAY 2008, every driver will be required to go to their local DMV office to obtain a federal ID number. They must take in certified copies of their birth certificates, marriage & divorce certificates and social security card. They will also submit to being finger and/or thumbprinted. They will then receive their new FEDERAL ID NUMBER to be inserted under the skin of their hand. At that time they will then be licensed to drive! If you choose not to participate in this FEDERAL ID program... you will not be able to: DRIVE, TRAVEL ON COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT, GO INTO FEDERAL BUILDINGS (that means you can't defend yourself in Federal Courts if you don't have a FEDERAL ID number) STEP ONTO FEDERAL LANDS (say goodbye to hiking, camping, rafting, etc....), RECEIVE SOCIAL SECURITY, RECEIVE ANY FEDERAL FUNDS & BENEFITS, RECEIVE TAX REFUNDS, WORK FOR THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, RECEIVE WAGES FROM THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, SERVE IN ANY OF THE ARMED FORCES, RECEIVE VA BENEFITS etc...etc...etc...

Does this LAW affect YOU??? Do you like it? IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THIS LAW You MUST fight this. You have one year to get your representatives to reverse this law. You MUST write all your Congressmen, Senators and Representatives and DEMAND that this "LAW" be reversed. None of us can afford to sit and ignore this law.

This law effectively takes away our last remaining rights as citizens of this country. When the Federal Government starts to enforce this law... you will NOT have any rights. NONE! You cannot stand on the Constitution as it will be ONLY for those who have received their ID number!!! Don't believe me??? Call your local DMV and ask them!!!!.... PLEASE PROTECT WHAT LITTLE RIGHTS WE STILL HAVE LEFT..... FIGHT THIS LAW! EVIL PROSPERS WHEN GOOD MEN DO NOTHING

If we choose not to fight this law..... we DESERVE the government we get.

As you can imagine, I left the Auburn, California DMV in shock!!

Our government is not for us...it's against us...

PLEASE FIGHT THIS LAW....IT TRAMPLES ON THE FREEDOMS OUR FOREFATHERS DIED FOR...

Origins: In May 2005, the U.S. Congress passed, and President George W. Bush signed into law, the "Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act for Defense, the Global War on Terror, and Tsunami Relief Act." Contained within that legislation was the "Real ID Act," provisions requiring every state to issue drivers' licenses that comply with a national

standard.

The "Real ID Act" was a response to the September 11 terrorist attacks on the U.S., attacks that were facilitated by 18 of the 19 hijackers' having obtained fraudulent identification (including U.S. drivers' licenses) that helped them board the planes they hijacked and flew into the Pentagon and World Trade Center buildings.

The "Real ID Act" mandated that by 11 May 2008, each U.S. state implement systems ensuring that motorists who apply for licenses are who they say they are and do not pose security risks. After that date, persons looking to obtain or renew drivers' licenses issued by any of the 50 states would have to provide documentation of identity (e.g., birth certificate, passport), documentation of residency address (e.g., utility bills), and documentation showing they are in the United States legally (e.g., birth certificate from a U.S. state or territory, U.S. passport, U.S. permanent residency card).

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security extended the 11 May 2008 deadline to 31 December 2009 for states that both asked for a postponement and provided a compliance plan, and as of the original deadline, all fifty states had either applied for or received extensions.

Numerous states were up in arms about the law, primarily because they maintained that having to vet every holder of a driver's license would be a lengthy and expensive process, one that would hopelessly snarl their motor vehicle and public safety departments. State officials also expressed concerns about maintaining individuals' rights to privacy. By the end of 2009, half the states had approved resolutions or legislation proclaiming that they did not want to participate in the program, and bills were introduced into Congress seeking to amend or repeal it.

As of now, 11 May 2011 is the deadline for final program implementation. After that date, persons born later than 1 December 1964 will be required to obtain Real ID-compliant driver's licenses by 1 December 2014 in order for those licenses to be accepted a valid ID for federal purposes. Persons born before 1 December 1964 will be required to have Real ID-compliant licenses by 1 December 2017.

The federal Department of Homeland Security (DHS) says that a Real ID-compliant driver's license will be required in order to

access a federal facility, board federally-regulated commercial aircraft, and enter nuclear power plants.

To many citizens the Real ID Act smacks of a national ID card program, but the DHS maintains that is not so. That agency says that "The proposed regulations establish common standards for States to issue licenses. The Federal Government is not issuing the licenses, is not collecting information about license holders, and is not requiring States to transmit license holder information to the Federal Government that the Government does not already have (such as a Social Security Number)."

As for the Internet-circulated account of an unnamed former resident of Alaska who experienced problems obtaining a California driver's license, while the 2008 implementation of the Real ID Act required such an applicant to provide proof of who she was and where she lived as part of the recredentialing process, we could find no information about the federal government's having enacted a plan to issue complying motorists with "Federal ID Numbers," let alone anything about those numbers being "inserted under the skin of their hand." Those parts of the missive are imagination or misinformation run amok. The insertion of machine-readable devices into the body parts of compliant citizens is a recurring feature in apocalyptic or "evil corporation/government" rumors, such as claims that Mondex is replacing money with biochips inserted into people's hands, or that the government is inserting RFID chips into the homeless to better keep tabs on them. (A related rumor asserts that the security strip embedded in U.S. currency helps the government keep track of how much money any person is carrying.)

As of April 2007, the DHS lists these requirements for a Real ID-compliant driver's license:

• A photo ID or other identity document that includes full legal name and date of birth.
  • A birth certificate or other documentation of date of birth.
  • Proof of Social Security number (or ineligibility for one).
  • Documentation of residency address, such as a utility bill.
  • Proof of lawful entry/residency status in the U.S.

Note that the above list details the minimum standards required under the Real ID Act; individual states may still choose to implement more stringent requirements (and at least some states already do exceed the Real ID standards by thumbprinting motorists and/or requiring proof of name change). However, the Homeland Security requirements themselves contains no mention of requiring proof of marriages and divorces, requiring motorists to submit to being fingerprinted, inserting ID numbers into people, embedding the cards with GPS-trackable chips, or requiring citizens to carry such ID with them at all times.

Barbara "look, Ma, no hands!" Mikkelson

Last updated: 24 February 2011

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.co...ffic/realid.asp

Urban Legends Reference Pages © 1995-2011 by Barbara and David P. Mikkelson.

This material may not be reproduced without permission.

snopes and the snopes.com logo are registered service marks of snopes.com.

content-divider.gif

Sources:

Arnoldy, Ben. "Resistance Rises to US Law That Requires Stricter ID Standards." Christian Science Monitor. 9 February 2007 (p. 1). Gaouette, Nicole. "National ID Requirements Postponed Under Criticism." Los Angeles Times. 2 March 2007 (p. A16). Gledhill, Lynda. "Long Waits Looming for License Renewals." San Francisco Chronicle. 24 July 2006. USA Today. "Time Running Out on Arguments Against Real ID." 6 March 2007 (p. A12). content-divider.gif

• Upvote 1

Caught red handed with their lie's. I think that everyone that was detained, harrassed, lied to should file a class action law suit against the state, and demand the toll both be shut down for strong arm racketeering, harassment. false arrest on the toll booth authority, then go after anything else involving the state. People you are losing your rights one at a time and if its done over a period of time the majority will not notice until they have you cornered. Then what you gonna do. Be to late to cry then.

Didn't you know that Snopes is a front for the NSA??? laugh.gif

Snopes here provides different links and authors sources as compared to your information comming from 'end time bible prophecy' site, which even the Homeland security link it refers to ONLY says this about the new state ID requirements, and I quote directly from HSA site:

"

• information and security features that must be incorporated into each card;
  • proof of identity and lawful status of an applicant;
  • verification of the source documents provided by an applicant; and
  • security standards for the offices that issue licenses and identification cards.

I dont see the above way out of line. Lawful status of the applicant probably has to do with all the illegal immigrant problem...