Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

PROGRAMMED ATMS IN IRAQ

liquidravingdj

NOT FROM ME.. BUT INTERESTING... DATED 3/6

“I was told by a member that his buddy is one of the contractors that programmed the ATMs in Iraq. He said that the chips within the ATMs have been replaced to a programmed entity for only smaller denoms– they have no way of working with larger denoms because these specific contractors changed the guts with new chips that are only compatible with small denoms.”

• Upvote 5

“I was told by a member that his buddy is one of the contractors that programmed the ATMs in Iraq. He said that the chips within the ATMs have been replaced to a programmed entity for only smaller denoms– they have no way of working with larger denoms because these specific contractors changed the guts with new chips that are only compatible with small denoms.”

Hmm, forgot to add chips to my list of items to complete before RV. DAMN! I'm slipping. On a serious note this does seem to deserve pause and consideration. I hope it is another indicator of an impending RV, note I will not hold my breath again as the last time I wound up on the floor with a knot on my head.....lol. Thanks for the post.

• Upvote 2

It's all good....they are going to phase out the "big" notes over time...so it makes sense to stock up the machines and programme them for the smaller denoms...no worries...all good progress... I mean...WHY would you programme machinmes for notes that they do not want to actively circulate?? Both small denoms as well as the new notes with the 3 zeros taken off will be accepted for purchases, alongside the "old" notes with all the zeros...if ya know what i mean...

besides...to have ATMs in Iraq....that alone is a cool sign of things improving at the street level.

thank you for posting!

Ok, Just returned from the Embassy Warka bank. The nice ladies behind the counter, when asked of lower denominations and or ATM machines, just looked at us with a half smile of TOTAL CONFUSION. then asked if they have seen anything lower than a 50 dinar note, they just said no.

that concluded our visit to the Embassy.

• Upvote 1

Ok, Just returned from the Embassy Warka bank. The nice ladies behind the counter, when asked of lower denominations and or ATM machines, just looked at us with a half smile of TOTAL CONFUSION. then asked if they have seen anything lower than a 50 dinar note, they just said no.

DAMN! I'm hearing different from several other friends in Civil Affairs US Army? This is so confusing, BUT! Your the man for taking the time to do this. Thanks take care over there.

My husband worked for a company that handled the oint of service card swiping machines, to authorize debit and credit cards. And yes, when a major change takes place it is a chip inside that is replaced. sometimes in the equipment that is on site, and sometimes by shipping that back and replacing it with new equipment that already has the new chip in it. Because we live in a small town out in the boonies, and fairly far from any major city,

I tell you that just as background

He alo, because of our remoteness, was called upon occasionally to service the ATM machines for a couple of the credit unions here. The major banks seemed to have regularly scheduled maintenance where they just ripped it all out and replaced it all so there was never, or should never, be a time when a service call was needed. Wasted a lot of good equipment usage hours, but hey, they are the banks and have the money.

When he was servicing the ATM machines, it was everything from money being stuck in the shute as it ripped on the way out, or cards getting stuck inside cause they had been dribbled on my raspberry jam ... go figure ... to having to reprogram things for the credit union. In his training for this he was taught how to change the chip, and reprogram machine responses, if there was a change in the configuration of denominations required. It wasn't a matter of lower or higher but a matter of comginations. For many years the most anyone would take would be two hundred dollars because that was the most a credit card allowed. But with the advent of the debit card, and customers being able to make their own decisions about how much and how often they could take a maximum amount, The reliance on having mostly twenty dollar bills in the machine, changed and the machines started having fifties. It took less space and the machine could handle more transactions before running out of certain bills.

So, I know this isn't what is happening here in Iraq. The rumour is that they are changing the chip to take different denominations. I am simply trying to offer more information, that is not a rumour, that will help you decide the validity of this rumour.

Thanks

smee2

• Upvote 3

DAMN! I'm hearing different from several other friends in Civil Affairs US Army? This is so confusing, BUT! Your the man for taking the time to do this. Thanks take care over there.

Not saying there isnt any truth to this rumor.. it took us 20 minutes for 1 simple deposit. These chicks werent the sharpest tool in the shed if you know what i mean... B)

Unless they are solar powered ATMs I'm thinking they are worthless until widespread and reliable electricity is available 24/7. JMO.

LMAO!! I liked that one.....But your wrong INTEL is an OXYMORON I just serve in the US armed forces and you will see what I mean.....lolol

• Upvote 2

Not saying there isnt any truth to this rumor.. it took us 20 minutes for 1 simple deposit. These chicks werent the sharpest tool in the shed if you know what i mean... B)

Desert....I don't mean to be naive but why can't you just put up signs all over baghdad in arabic that read "If the GOI RV's the Dinar, Iraqi people will be wealthy" maybe that would help the demo's focus more directly on the biggest obstacle in the way of improvements.

• Upvote 3

Desert....I don't mean to be naive but why can't you just put up signs all over baghdad in arabic that read "If the GOI RV's the Dinar, Iraqi people will be wealthy" maybe that would help the demo's focus more directly on the biggest obstacle in the way of improvements.

I was hoping to see "Go RV!!!" signs during the protests...seriously... :D

Unless they are solar powered ATMs I'm thinking they are worthless until widespread and reliable electricity is available 24/7. JMO.

You have a valid point about the power and frequent outages. However, most of the equipment my husband and I serviced had power supplies as part of their configuration and batteries where applicable. In fact a lot of them, because they were rechargeable battery units, would be replaced by removing the battery pack, and attaching the new chip holding keypad and screen part to the battery. Up and operating again. Generally during a power outage you will find that a card reader works because it has its own power supply (regulator) and battery and the phone lines that carry the computer data back and forth are still working.

I do not know if the ATMs have such an arrangement. But I do remember getting money from an ATM at the CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) a few years ago during a bad snow storm when I needed cash to pay the tow truck after I ... ah ... well ... dumped my car into the show filled ditch from the ice covered pavement while facing white out conditions. My cel worked and I got the tow truck but he didn't take anything but cash so he got me out and followed me to the bank machine where I got his cash ... no power in the street lights or buildings, but the machine still worked. It was in a gas station convenience store that was also out of power, was selling things by candle light and high powered lanterns, and taking only cash because the cash registers did not work.

So, once again ... don't know if your valid point about power applies here or not. Things have advanced since those days too.

something to think about.

smee2

Nice job quickly debunking that.

Saved me from making a long distance phone call.

What will they think of next?! <_<

• Upvote 2

Hmm, forgot to add chips to my list of items to complete before RV. DAMN! I'm slipping. On a serious note this does seem to deserve pause and consideration. I hope it is another indicator of an impending RV, note I will not hold my breath again as the last time I wound up on the floor with a knot on my head.....lol. Thanks for the post.

Hahah..Bang ! yea me too ! So don't feel bad!! haha..dang !! :o