Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

High Court Rules in Favor of Westboro Church

Moe485

26 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU THINK THAT WHAT THIS CHURCH IS DOING IS RIGHT OR WRONG?

• IT RIGHT
    • ITS WRONG

High Court Rules in Favor of Westboro Church

March 02, 2011

Military.com|by Bryant JordanIn an 8-1 ruling, the U.S. Supreme Court today ruled that the First Amendment protects the rights of a fundamentalist Christian church to use and display anti-military slurs near the funerals of fallen troops. The court's vote in favor of Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan., lets stand a lower court decision that tossed out a $5 million judgment against the church for picketing the service of a Maryland Marine. Justice Samuel Alito was the only one to rule in favor of the family of the late Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder. "Our profound national commitment to free and open debate is not a license for the vicious verbal assault that occurred in this case," Alito wrote in his dissent.

SOURCE LINK

• Upvote 3

IMO these people do not even qualify as a "church". This is certainly NOT Christ like in any way shape or form. Sadly the courts in this country have for far too long legislated from the bench. Not what was intended. Sad statement of the times.

A man's freedom to swing his fist stops at the tip of my nose. Their actions are intrusive, hateful and hurtful.

EagleEye diatribe over

• Upvote 2

IMO these people do not even qualify as a "church". This is certainly NOT Christ like in any way shape or form. Sadly the courts in this country have for far too long legislated from the bench. Not what was intended. Sad statement of the times.

A man's freedom to swing his fist stops at the tip of my nose. Their actions are intrusive, hateful and hurtful.

EagleEye diatribe over

I agree EE. There is nothing Christian about these people. They are so full of hate. This decision is wrong on every level. 8 supremes should be ashamed of themselves.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know how true this is but i heard these people are a bunch of lawyers who started the church to provoke people to violence in return that would just file big law suits against these families in hope of settlement profits. Which is crazy to me to believe people would actually use a church to pursue this, but i guess its as good as any other rumor you hear on here. Who knows but i completely disagree with everything they stand for.

Edited by Moe485
  • Upvote 1

Do I think what that church is doing is wrong? No.

Do I think it is mean and hurtful and spiteful and disrespectful? Yes

But IMO anything that brings the war into the public consciousness, even if it is just fleeting and peripheral, instead of the normal tripe they feed us in the news is a good thing. I hope people see these aholes and get pissed at the war and do more to bring it to a rapid conclusion.

• Upvote 1

Of course I believe what they're doing is wrong.

It's wrong on so many levels.

But I'm not quick to say the supreme court got this decision wrong.

And they certainly are not legislating from the bench.

Remember, when the govt starts silencing people, it won't be long before they're silencing you!

There are ways to deal with these Westboro idiots, (and they are idiots), but overturning the First Amendment is not the way.

If that happens, then our soldiers died for nothing.

• Upvote 7

Sometimes True Freedom can be Ugly. But I'd be willing to bet that the alternative will be MUCH WORSE. I do not agree with what they do but they are citizens of this country and therefore have the same freedom of speech as you and I. I think the SOTUS got it right on this one. Wealthy citizens will come in and cover the family's cost so that will help somewhat. These so-called Baptist church members are the ones who need prayer. They are pretty screwed up in my opinion. I also offer my thanks and prayers to all who have served and those who are serving to keep these freedoms for us all.

• Upvote 3

EagleEye diatribe over

Very well said, my friend! I completely agree! I could see this coming a mile away! Don't expect the Supreme Court or an organization that is run by men and not GOD, to do the right thing.

Do you remember Larry Flynt of Hustler Magazine? Jerry Falwell started a publicity crusade against Hustler Magazine. In return, Flynt responded by telling reader's in a Campari ad (liquor ad) that Falwell had some incestutious dealings with his mother in an outhouse. Falwell sued for 40 million and won, however, only $200k (the charge of liable was reduced)). Flynt appealed to the Supreme Court and they reversed it, stating;

"At the heart of the First Amendment is the recognition of the fundamental importance of the free flow of ideas and opinions on matters of public interest and concern. "[T]he [485 U.S. 46, 51] freedom to speak one's mind is not only an aspect of individual liberty - and thus a good unto itself - but also is essential to the common quest for truth and the vitality of society as a whole"

So with that said, you know, even if it's wrong or distasteful, 1st ammendment right's will be protected.

• Downvote 1

I fought for freedom of speech. This is not free speech it's free hate speech. There is a difference. Looking at the bigger picture it is an attack on Christians by so called Christians. Judgement starts at the pulpit. It's going to get worse folks. We are living the Generation of the Fig Tree. Those who have God in their heads will do just fine. But, remember you can't con God! :blink:

• Upvote 2

Remember, when the govt starts silencing people, it won't be long before they're silencing you!

There are ways to deal with these Westboro idiots, (and they are idiots), but overturning the First Amendment is not the way.

I agree with you 100% - Words and actions may hurt and we may disagree - but I support thier right to speak - I do not know how they can call themselves christians - and spread such hate and disrespect.

• Upvote 3

I firmly believe in the 1st amendment. But it is against the law to yell FIRE in a public place if no fire. I think what Westboro is doing should be against the law also. That.... make it so they can't protest within 1 mile of another church or cemetary.

McMike

• Upvote 1

"I do not agree of what you say sir, but I will fight to the death YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT!!!" The courts actually got this one right.

Most fanatics have issues much like these particular @ssholes.

Although I am not normaly a violent person, if this situation occured at a family members of mines funeral AND one of them got my my face about it,... there would be a berzerker rage that would make Wolverine blush. Then later I would just claim self defence or momentary lapse of sanity or something. They could try to sue but you cant get blood from a stone, and that painfull limp they have for the rest of thier life sure wouldnt be worth thier previous efforts. :)

There are alot of things we can debate with our freedoms, but that is the greatest thing about them - WE HAVE THAT OPTION! There are better ways of course but never LIMIT anyones freedom. I have learned to ignore the unenlightened much like a crying baby in a store or church. First you have to see that THEY are uncomfortable and not you, THEN if you like you can guide them to be calmer or at least more cooperative.

I agree they should be allowed to voice their opinion, what I don't agree with is where they are allowed to protest, near the funeral service, that is what i disagree with. The supreme court could have made it right without violating this groups first amendment rights.

Amazing to me how they can, or for that matter choose to, exercise their first amendment rights in the vicinity of the funeral, of someone who died to preserve that right. That is what really bothers me.