Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Repeat of Egypt & Tunisia happening in IRAQ!!

tosmith96

Iraq man dies of self-immolation to protest rising unemployment

Protesters also set themselves on fire during unrest in Tunisia and Egypt, where anti-gov't sentiment ultimately resulted in the toppling of those countries' regimes.

By DPA Tags: Israel news Iraq Egypt protest An Iraqi man has died after setting himself ablaze in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul to protest against unemployment, police sources said Sunday.

An Iraqi riot policeman holding a stick as he stands guard in front of residents protesting in Baghdad, February 11, 2011.

Photo by: Reuters The 31-year-old man set himself on fire when he could not find a job, the sources told the German Press Agency DPA. He was married and had four children.

The region has seen a series of self-immolation suicide attempts, starting on December 17 when Tunisian Mohamed Bouazizi set himself ablaze in a protest against his country's high unemployment rate.

Thousands of Iraqis have been protesting this month, demanding better living standards, improved services and less corruption.

The growing unrest prompted Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki to cut his salary in half to help "reduce the gap in the living standards for the different classes."

More protests are nevertheless planned, including one that is described as a "Revolution of Iraqi Rage," to be held on February 25 near the Green Zone.

Some activists have called for the overthrow of the government, which was formed in December after nine months of political stalemate.

The political unrest in Egypt, Yemen and Algeria has seen anti- government protesters calling for more employment opportunities, reform and democracy. The demonstrations in Tunisia and Egypt ultimately toppled the regimes in both countries.

http://www.haaretz.c...oyment-1.343162

They better get their head out of the sand or its going to get real UGLY over there in IRAQ.

• Upvote 4

umm thats a bit extreme and stupid to set yourself on fire just saying but damn yea things are gonna start turning ugly real soon.

No kidding. I could find a much better way to show my anger with the situation.

Things are getting ugly and the GOI better act quickly to make things right for the people of Iraq. This nonsense has gone on far to long. Maliki and company might see the same fate as Sadaam, by the hands of the people if they don't rectify the country's problems.

Good post.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seems to me that the people in power in Iraq are so busy lookin after their own interest that they have totally dropped the ball. They failed to realize that the power is in the people. Egypt has realized this but the powers that be in Iraq are blind to the things going on all around them. It is time to wake up and smell the coffee before they lose control of the situation.

No kidding. I could find a much better way to show my anger with the situation.

Things are getting ugly and the GOI better act quickly to make things right for the people of Iraq. This nonsense has gone on far to long. Maliki and company might see the same fate as Sadaam, by the hands of the people if they don't rectify the country's problems.

Good post.

I'm with ya! That's kind of like flying a perfectly good aircraft into a Aircraft Carrier. Some folks will do anything to get a point across. Getting pretty touchy over there. Have a good 1.