Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Marines and IQD availability

ekfinn

Hey all,

About a week ago there was talk of a General Order coming down the pike through the military that forbade troops from sending IQD home-- or out of the country. There was also talk of IQD availability at the currency exchanges on some bases. I just got off the horn from one of my fellow jarheads in Al Asad (one of the more remote bases). As of right now, he is still able to turn dollars to dinars, but the general order is the real deal as they have been ordered to exchange their dinar back into dollars before leaving country next month. There have been the usual scare-tactic stories being handed down by the fairies... errr... officers.... that there's going to be a shake-down before leaving country checking for contraband.

Granted, being aircrew he knows all the nooks and crannies of an aircraft... but as of right now our deployed warriors are still able to get dinar in country.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Yankee Zero Nine out.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Hey all,

About a week ago there was talk of a General Order coming down the pike through the military that forbade troops from sending IQD home-- or out of the country. There was also talk of IQD availability at the currency exchanges on some bases. I just got off the horn from one of my fellow jarheads in Al Asad (one of the more remote bases). As of right now, he is still able to turn dollars to dinars, but the general order is the real deal as they have been ordered to exchange their dinar back into dollars before leaving country next month. There have been the usual scare-tactic stories being handed down by the fairies... errr... officers.... that there's going to be a shake-down before leaving country checking for contraband.

Granted, being aircrew he knows all the nooks and crannies of an aircraft... but as of right now our deployed warriors are still able to get dinar in country.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Yankee Zero Nine out.

That's cool. That's where I got most of mine. Of Course it was tent city back then

They're doing it because transporting IQD out of Iraq, except through approved Banking Transactions, is a violation of Iraqi Law. So, the USG is doing its best to have our troops abide by these laws. If one of our troops were to be caught (by Iraqi officials) transporting IQD out of Iraq; Iraqi Law would apply to them now, thanks to the SOFA agreement.

• Upvote 1

They're doing it because transporting IQD out of Iraq, except through approved Banking Transactions, is a violation of Iraqi Law. So, the USG is doing its best to have our troops abide by these laws. If one of our troops were to be caught (by Iraqi officials) transporting IQD out of Iraq; Iraqi Law would apply to them now, thanks to the SOFA agreement.

Here you go. ;)

Article 20—Currency and foreign exchange

1.The United States Forces shall have the right to use any amount of cash in United States currency or financial instruments with a designated value in United States currency exclusively for the purposes of this Agreement. Use of Iraqi currency and special banks by the United States Forces shall be in accordance with Iraqi laws.

2.The United States Forces may not export Iraqi currency from Iraq, and shall take measures to ensure that members of the United States Forces, of the civilian component, and United States contractors and United States contractor employees do not export Iraqi currency from Iraq.

• Upvote 2

First off the Marines are gone from Al Asad. I was there for 5 years and saw them pull out about a year ago. I left in August. Secondly what money exchanges? There are none, except Army finance. The local shops might exchange some. But I am not buying this post at all. The BS meter is on high alert here. JMO

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

actually finally registered just to respond to this. al'asad is not remote. al'asad= camp cupcake to the marine corps world, been there done that as long as TQ and blue diamond. nothing remote about the best vacation base in iraq and marines arent there anymore, except maybe some admins.

tl;dr al'asad is far from remote. maybe if there wasnt a subway, Mc'd's, and pizza hut there then maybe.

edit: too early spelling mistakes

Edited by jonnysads
  • Upvote 1

actually finally registered just to respond to this. al'asad is not remote. al'asad= camp cupcake to the marine corps world, been there done that as long as TQ and blue diamond. nothing remote about the best vacation base in iraq and marines arent there anymore, except maybe some admins.

tl;dr al'asad is far from remote. maybe if there wasnt a subway, Mc'd's, and pizza hut there then maybe.

edit: too early spelling mistakes

You are right the Marines are out of there, maybe a couple left. I was at AL Taquaddum 2005-2006. Fallujah 2004. All rough places. Transited thru Al Asad. B)

First off the Marines are gone from Al Asad. I was there for 5 years and saw them pull out about a year ago. I left in August. Secondly what money exchanges? There are none, except Army finance. The local shops might exchange some. But I am not buying this post at all. The BS meter is on high alert here. JMO

Yes, you saw my replacement squadron pull out, VMGR-352. Since that time, the KC-130 tempo in-country has been scaled back to flights in support of deployed units, most of those going through Al Asad. It's been five years since I we were over there, and I'm sure the place has a hell of a lot more creature comforts than it did back then. Christ, you contractor welfare recipients can be a tough crowd.

• Upvote 1

Yes, you saw my replacement squadron pull out, VMGR-352. Since that time, the KC-130 tempo in-country has been scaled back to flights in support of deployed units, most of those going through Al Asad. It's been five years since I we were over there, and I'm sure the place has a hell of a lot more creature comforts than it did back then. Christ, you contractor welfare recipients can be a tough crowd.

Some of us were Marines(0311) there air winger before contractors!! Semper Fi!! :lol::lol:

OK enough of the air wingers and grunts crap. I was an MP many moons ago and had to keep you two separated in Hawaii for years. I was in Iraq in 04, the policy hasn't changed since then but there were ways to get the currency out of the country then as there are now. Let's just leave it at that. No harm no foul. Semper Fi!!!!

OK enough of the air wingers and grunts crap. I was an MP many moons ago and had to keep you two separated in Hawaii for years. I was in Iraq in 04, the policy hasn't changed since then but there were ways to get the currency out of the country then as there are now. Let's just leave it at that. No harm no foul. Semper Fi!!!!

Oh No! The PO PO is here!! Semper Fi, sir! You are right there is always a way to get things in and out of places. :lol::lol:

OK, reunion over Jarheads...I agree with the original post sounding like B.S....but why, almost anti-pumpersish. Is he just trying to sound cool around all us jarheads, squids, ground-pounders and fruit-flys?

Oh yea, by the way it's "Yankee Zero NINER, Out"

Edited by Hope Floats.Rates Dont

i much agree with this one.. there are no marines there i just passed thru there like 3 months ago. army has taken that over a while ago. although that article 20 of the SOFA agreement is old news.

Racbluto,

Your right, the Marines pulled out a bout a year ago, I was there also 3 1/2 years, I also left in August 2010. I did buy Dinars from the Army finance there before KBR told us we couldn't do that anymore.

and Jonnysads there is not a Mc'd's there, never has been, there is a Burger King.

Racbluto,

Your right, the Marines pulled out a bout a year ago, I was there also 3 1/2 years, I also left in August 2010. I did buy Dinars from the Army finance there before KBR told us we couldn't do that anymore.

and Jonnysads there is not a Mc'd's there, never has been, there is a Burger King.

Heh Night stick! How ya doin brother? Are you back to work in the states? I am truckin the oil fields in North Dakota, lots of work here but the weather is brutal after all that time in the sand box. LOL drop me a line when ya get a chance...... Bluto