Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

US unable to accound for IRAQ funds

zapped777

Tue Feb 8, 2011 12:42AM var so = new SWFObject('../player/player.swf', 'single', '450', '300', '0');so.addParam('allowfullscreen', 'true');so.addVariable('file', 'http://217.218.67.244:8181/video/20110207/19-41-00-sng-matt-arbil.flv');so.addVariable('image', 'http://previous.presstv.ir/photo/20110207/pirhayati20110207213937810.jpg');so.addParam('wmode','transparent');so.addVariable('autostart', 'true');so.addVariable('stretching', 'exactfit');so.addVariable('controlbar', 'over');so.write('mediaspace');var player;function playerReady(obj) {player = $(obj.id);addListeners();};function addListeners() {player.addModelListener('TIME', 'timeMonitor');};function timeMonitor(obj) {$S('divSliderProg').width = obj.position / obj.duration * 451 + 'px';};The US Defense Department cannot account for how it spent funds that belonged to the reconstruction of war-torn Iraq due to poor record keeping, a report says.

The Pentagon, entrusted with spending $9.1 billion on reconstruction projects in 2011, has failed to elucidate the whereabouts of this year's money, a Press TV correspondent reported on Monday.

The US military agency has also refused to send any representatives to Iraq's Supreme Audit Court to explain such an inappropriate use and undetected loss.

"The Pentagon must take immediate steps to address this issue. These funds are specifically to be used for the reconstruction of the country. And if such a huge amount is not accounted for, then it implies that some of it has been misused, whether for personal or military purposes,” Nariman Abdulla, a Kurdish lawmaker, said in Arbil.

The incident is the latest to fault American officials for mismanagement of Iraqi funds in the years following the US-led invasion of the country in March 2003. Last year, the US military mismanaged $8.7 billion in funds for Iraq, reports say.

The mismanagement of Iraqi funds has angered the country's officials who have raised the possibility of taking legal action against Washington.

The Kurdistan opposition party, the Movement for Change, has stated that they intend to discuss the issue in the Kurdish regional parliament.

“This was shocking news as members of the Movement for Change will open a discussion about this in the parliament. We will inform the Iraqi people that some of the money which was supposed to be set aside has been mismanaged,” Peshawa Tofiq, a member of Movement for Change -- also known as the Change List -- told Press TV.

The White House authorities took control of $20 billion of Iraqi government funds when they invaded Iraq. They were supposed to use the money for humanitarian assistance and reconstruction.

Since then, however, several US military officials have been convicted of bribery, fraud and money-laundering over money allocated for reconstruction projects in Iraq.

According to the inspector general for Iraq reconstruction, the majority of convictions to date belong to 2003-2004, when the oversight was lax and poor record keeping practices were followed.

MP/MRS/MGH Related Stories:

function goShare() { var sd = $S('divShare'); sd.visibility = (sd.visibility == 'hidden' || sd.visibility == '') ? 'visible' : 'hidden'; } function cPhoto(no) { var img = $('divPhotosReel').getElementsByTagName('img')[no]; $('imgMain').src = img.src; $('imgMain').title = img.title; $('divImageDesc').innerHTML = img.title; }

WEll, not exactly stellar battlefied accounting; but, less than 1% of the total expenditures to date... Do the Iraqi's think we need to justify all of our expenditures?... I am sure we could oblige them. I mean after all, isn't every penny of this effort spent on humanitarian intent?... Oh boy... I am having one of those days again. CAn someone post something I can agree with?.... LOL Cheers! Happy Tuesday all... Don't forget to take care of your Valentine's shopping early!!!

Yes, I agree there was some fraud. We are dealing with real people. And when all is said and done, I feel we will have taken care of most all of the offender's. I mean the GAO will account for EVERY penny in the end. That is how accounting works!

Edited by Nelson0528

Well maybe, just maybe some or a lot of it was used to pay for our soldiers that were killed trying to help them obtain there freedom. And used to provide security until the got there own Police and other humanitarian services in place. Well I could go on and on as I am a disabled Vet from the first campain to liberate them from there dictator that was murdering thousands of their people a year & burying them in mass graves for not agreeing with his Political agenda. We should go to Walmart get a reciept book and write them receipts for all the injured US soldiers as well. Can you put a price on our quality of life for them or a value on the lifes that were lost to pay for there children that don't have a Daddy? Hmmmmmmmm.............

• Upvote 2

Well maybe, just maybe some or a lot of it was used to pay for our soldiers that were killed trying to help them obtain there freedom. And used to provide security until the got there own Police and other humanitarian services in place. Well I could go on and on as I am a disabled Vet from the first campain to liberate them from there dictator that was murdering thousands of their people a year & burying them in mass graves for not agreeing with his Political agenda. We should go to Walmart get a reciept book and write them receipts for all the injured US soldiers as well. Can you put a price on our quality of life for them or a value on the lifes that were lost to pay for there children that don't have a Daddy? Hmmmmmmmm.............

Nope!... and well said!

Of course there are many considerations in this issue; but, due diligence will prevail. IMO