Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

AL MALIKI WONT RUN FOR 3RD TERM

HYDRANT

PM says won’t run for third term

2/5/2011 5:50 PM

050211055106.gif

BAGHDAD / Aswat al-Iraq: Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki said on Saturday that he decided not to run for a third term in office, according to a semi-official news channel.

“I will not run for a third term and I go for the notion of no more than two terms in office constitutionally,” Maliki was quoted by al-Iraqiya as saying Saturday.

The prime minister has been assigned to form the first elected Iraqi government in May 2006 during a period of sectarian violence described as the toughest since the downfall of the former Iraqi regime in 2003.

In the March 2010 elections, the Independent High Electoral Commission (IHEC) announced that Maliki’s Dawlat al-Qanoon (State of Law) bloc garnered 89 seats, coming second to former Premier Iyad Allawi’s al-Iraqiya bloc, which won 91 seats, after eight months of constant haggling over the vote counting mechanism.

Eventually, Maliki was selected as the candidate from prime minister by the National Alliance coalition that encompassed the State of Law and Iraqi National Alliance (INA) blocs, forming the largest parliamentary bloc and helping him to win a second term in office on November 25, 2010, after all blocs met half way and settled their differences upon an initiative by Iraqi Kurdistan Region President Massoud Barzani.

AmR (TP)/SR

http://en.aswataliraq.info/Default1.aspx?page=article_page&id=140852&l=1

Edited by k98nights
Included the actual news story
  • Upvote 1

Thanks.

State TV says Iraqi PM won't run for third term

Feb 5 09:12 AM US/Eastern

FILE - In this Jan. 23, 2009 file photo, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki...

BAGHDAD (AP) - Iraqi state TV is reporting that Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki won't run for a third time when his current term is up in 2014.

The Shiite premier's political bloc fell two seats short of a majority in parliamentary elections last year and he narrowly kept his job by pulling support from allies in months of closed-door negations after the vote.

Saturday's announcement came a day after the premier's decision to return half his annual pay to the government treasury to ease disparities between rich and poor Iraqis.

That move appeared calculated to insulate al-Maliki from the anti-government unrest spreading across the Middle East.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Link:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9L6LLP80&show_article=1

I give the man credit for learning from the mistakes made by Mubarek and other ME leaders. He's getting in front of the situation and hopefully quelling any possibility of more civil unrest. Seems like maybe our little Maliki is growing up. Any way you look at it, this is a good move for the people of Iraq.

• Upvote 1

his trump card is the rv...if things get to hot he will just pull the trigger IMO

Interesting concept ... he just seems to have too many strings attached that others are pulling.

If the reports about 1B IQD over the border by his son is true and if the $250M his aid was caught with in Switzerland are true (I'm betting that was returned ... diplomatic status) ... this term he eliminates prosecution of any crimes for himself or others ... he RI/RV's and moves on.

I heard you ought to be able to "get by" on 1B IQD ... at a penny ... a dime ... a dollar ... or whatever!

Peace

Doc31

• Upvote 1