Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Military Discharge

Soldiering4U

I haven't seen this question posed before and if so please forgive my inability to find it.

Post RV, How much money is too much to stay in the military?

I have heard a bunch of answers that where unfounded i.e. $200,000 or 2x what your annual allowances and pay, and others have told me that there was some regulation which nobody seems to be able to find.

Just wanting to pick the almighty brains of the great DV community. Thanks!biggrin.gif

That is a good question. Wish I knew the answer.

I can tell you however that a fellow trooper in the 1st Cav with me back in the 80's-90's was in fact discharged due to his mother winning some $$$ in Florida. I recall him saying the winnings were several hundred thousand not millions. Not a complete answer for you but unless the rules have changed this should help you bracket.

Shot over!

Before I retired in 2005, I asked that same question of my finance department, I was told that it would be manditory discharge at $500,000 or more.

I asked why manditory, I was told because of attitide. The military did not want to deal with attitude, drop in performance, discipline issues or desertion from the member.

Now if that still hold true,I do not know but that was in 05.

Hope this helps

Aim High.......

I haven't seen this question posed before and if so please forgive my inability to find it.

I have heard a bunch of answers that where unfounded i.e. $200,000 or 2x what your annual allowances and pay, and others have told me that there was some regulation which nobody seems to be able to find.

Just wanting to pick the almighty brains of the great DV community. Thanks!biggrin.gif

If the miltary isn't having issues with recruitment and in this economy they aren't, then they will follow th rule. If they don't have enough bodies, then you could see it being ignored. Remember when they raised the age limit for enlisting? Wars will do that to rules when you don't have a draft to rely on.

I'd like to chime in on this one if I may. My understanding is that your'e trying to decide between a career and money in the event of this imminent RV. Personally, I don't see why you can't have both. Being retired from the military myself, I know that each person has there own unique situation. I'll tell from the heart. It's a cruel and unforgiving world out here. Meaningful employment is hard to come by and the high cost of healthcare is off the hook. If suddenly our millions were worthless a few years after RV, where would you be? Probably broke without a job. Depending on your years of service and how close you are to retirement would help me decide. Not just anyone can get in the military. It takes a special mindset to do your job. If", and I'm saying, If", our economy falls flat on it's face in the coming years and you happened to be retired, there may be some pieces you can pick up and start over with. That retired ID card will get you and your family on any Military base in the world. You can't buy your way through the gate. If you're happy with your job, I say stay with it. If you're not happy, I say try and find positives that make you happy and stay with it. Just my thoughts. If everything goes right, you'll be a retired Military millionaire. Same as me! Thanks for your service! Have a good 1.

all the answers are great so far... Slaydadea, Thank you sir for your service to the best country in the world... Well, I got back in last year after a 2yr break in service I joined in 2001 and since I got back in I have been fighting tooth and nail to get them to recognize my prior time in service as well as my medals much to no avail... I have been placed on rear detatchment because I was injured during training and now I am being pushed around by everyone with a rocker on their rank... I would love to retire with the military but I don't see that being in the cards right now. I am tired sore and frustrated... fortunitatly I have a great DARPA job offer when I get out from a big wig there....

Thanks for all your comments and thank all of you for your service to our great country have a great day and COME ON RV!!! biggrin.gif

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't even factor in the money...do you enjoy what you do...thats what matters most.

My son was with the 1st cav and did two tours in iraq and one in afganastan...his last tour in iraq was a call back from inactive reserve.

He was an E-6 and after his call back he had 8 years invested in...and they were putting the pressure on to re-up.I think the offer was 30k tax free.As a father ( and military vet) we talked about it...quite a bit.I thought he had done more than his share and he was worth a heck of alot more than 30k to his family...we want you home!He did decide to get out...has a great job and is also going to school full time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is,talk to your family...I bet I know how they feel.

Before I retired in 2005, I asked that same question of my finance department, I was told that it would be manditory discharge at $500,000 or more.

I asked why manditory, I was told because of attitide. The military did not want to deal with attitude, drop in performance, discipline issues or desertion from the member.

Now if that still hold true,I do not know but that was in 05.

Hope this helps

Aim High.......

I've heard this sort of thing in the past also but don't know how much clout it carries.

Example: Family of four. Two active duty members insured a $400,000 each. Two children insured at $50,000 each. One member and two children perish together. Remaining spouse has $500,000 policy cash in. That member is not asked to leave active duty, as long as it doesn't go to there head.

You are absolutely right in saying such a law is on the books but not necessarily enforced. "It's the "I'm rich, I don't have to comply" attitude that causes problems and usually results in a Bad Conduct Discharge to boot. I have also heard that a member can request a discharge but may or may not be granted due to manning requirements or specialty. Just backing you up with my understanding. Thanks poster!

all the answers are great so far... Slaydadea, Thank you sir for your service to the best country in the world... Well, I got back in last year after a 2yr break in service I joined in 2001 and since I got back in I have been fighting tooth and nail to get them to recognize my prior time in service as well as my medals much to no avail... I have been placed on rear detatchment because I was injured during training and now I am being pushed around by everyone with a rocker on their rank... I would love to retire with the military but I don't see that being in the cards right now. I am tired sore and frustrated... fortunitatly I have a great DARPA job offer when I get out from a big wig there....

Thanks for all your comments and thank all of you for your service to our great country have a great day and COME ON RV!!! biggrin.gif

Follow your heart! You'll do just fine. Godspeed!

Edited by Slaydadea

I spent 21 years in the Military. I knew people that were rich when they joined. There is no regulation not allowing people to have money. I know there is a reg for windfalls, I'm not sure what it is. I knew a guy in Florida who won the State Lottery, He stayed in and retired...

• Upvote 1