Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

A real cOOl picture!

Funky Cold Medinar

I wonder if the pilot sees that as he flies through it, or if it happens tOO fast? Since it only happens when they break the sound barrier they are definitely haulin' arse! Countless blessings and endless peace to ALL!

That is an awesome picture. I've seen it a couple of times when I was in the Navy on the U.S.S America aircraft carrier, the F14's & 18's would do it all the time when we were in the middle of no where. But the pilots don't see it because it happens so suddenly and it happens behind them once the engines break it, but they do hear it. Most of them told me it's like having a subwoofer right behind you and the base turned up really loud. It's like a big bomb in their chest. The first time I heard it, I was in the hanger deck fresh out of boot camp, me and a friend hit the deck thinking we were being attacked because the whole aircraft carrier shook. It was pretty sick. It's what made me join the navy when I saw top gun. lol Thanks for the memories.

• Upvote 3

That is an awesome picture. I've seen it a couple of times when I was in the Navy on the U.S.S America aircraft carrier, the F14's & 18's would do it all the time when we were in the middle of no where. But the pilots don't see it because it happens so suddenly and it happens behind them once the engines break it, but they do hear it. Most of them told me it's like having a subwoofer right behind you and the base turned up really loud. It's like a big bomb in their chest. The first time I heard it, I was in the hanger deck fresh out of boot camp, me and a friend hit the deck thinking we were being attacked because the whole aircraft carrier shook. It was pretty sick. It's what made me join the navy when I saw top gun. lol Thanks for the memories.

When they do flyovers at Michigan Stadium, there are people that sit behind me that always complain how loud the jets are. I always remind them that is the sound of freedom. It almost makes you feel sorry for the poor bastards that they bomb to oblivion. I said almost.

• Upvote 3

I wonder if the pilot sees that as he flies through it, or if it happens tOO fast? Since it only happens when they break the sound barrier they are definitely haulin' arse! Countless blessings and endless peace to ALL!

There is only one or two things I love more then flying... and not always more! WINK

When they do flyovers at Michigan Stadium, there are people that sit behind me that always complain how loud the jets are. I always remind them that is the sound of freedom. It almost makes you feel sorry for the poor bastards that they bomb to oblivion. I said almost.

i hear that alot too, mostly newer ignorant generations. wish they still felt like this.

the embeded didnt work.

Edited by miller

To my fellow dinartarians (gOOd people), just wanted to say thank you for all your kind responses and the excellent information. YOU GUYS AND GALS ROCK! I say we get together after this thing hits and rent one of these bad boys out and try it for ourselves, and if we like it we can all pitch in and buy one real cheap from the Russians. There seems to be a few pilots in here, are any of you qualified to fly one of these?, hope they come with barf bags. It would have plenty of other uses tOO, we could use it to stage our own fly-overs at our kids' little league games, we could BUZZ the white house, we could patrol the US/Mexico border, we could race Air Force One for pink slips, and OF COURSE we could use it to bomb the crap out of the IRS buildings, but only when they are on Holiday so no one is there, and there is always the possibility of starting our own Air Force, the possibilities are endless :P You people are awesome! Countless blessings and endless peace to all....GO RV!

• Upvote 1

Hi Everyone - my first post on the site. I am trying to find on the National Geographic website this picture so that I can download it onto my computer and use as my desktop background. Funky Cold - pls tell me where I can find the full size picture.

I think the Prandtl-Glauert Singularity phenomenon is one of the coolest things you can see and people ask me if it's real or what exactly is happening. I've read on different websites various theories on what is happening when the cloud forms, but the leading theory proposes the surrounding air temperature at the rear of the plane drops below the dewpoint. Clouds and fog form at and below the dewpoint of air. The reason for this is that as the plane catches up to the soundwaves being emitted the pressure of the shockwave increases as the soundwaves are added one upon another. In a confined space as pressure goes up then so must air temperature and we can generally assume for arguments sake the immediate area around the plane is more or less a confined space because the plane is travelling so fast the air does not have time to expand and dissipate the energy before the plane is gone. Since energy must be conserved - the temperature behind the sonic shockwave must drop since the temperature in the wave itself has risen. Please feel free to comment or do some searches for yourself. I am a Chemist by trade and I feel this theory is the most sound :rolleyes:

The formation of the cloud essentially follows Boyles' Law, the Conservation of Energy, and Constructive & Destructive interference of the sound waves at Mach 1.

Hi Everyone - my first post on the site. I am trying to find on the National Geographic website this picture so that I can download it onto my computer and use as my desktop background. Funky Cold - pls tell me where I can find the full size picture.

I think the Prandtl-Glauert Singularity phenomenon is one of the coolest things you can see and people ask me if it's real or what exactly is happening. I've read on different websites various theories on what is happening when the cloud forms, but the leading theory proposes the surrounding air temperature at the rear of the plane drops below the dewpoint. Clouds and fog form at and below the dewpoint of air. The reason for this is that as the plane catches up to the soundwaves being emitted the pressure of the shockwave increases as the soundwaves are added one upon another. In a confined space as pressure goes up then so must air temperature and we can generally assume for arguments sake the immediate area around the plane is more or less a confined space because the plane is travelling so fast the air does not have time to expand and dissipate the energy before the plane is gone. Since energy must be conserved - the temperature behind the sonic shockwave must drop since the temperature in the wave itself has risen. Please feel free to comment or do some searches for yourself. I am a Chemist by trade and I feel this theory is the most sound :rolleyes:

The formation of the cloud essentially follows Boyles' Law, the Conservation of Energy, and Constructive & Destructive interference of the sound waves at Mach 1.

First of all....WELCOME, Its a pleasure to have you here with us.

Thank you for that excellent, very detailed explanation. So basically, lay terms, otherwise my brain will cramp :blink: , it all comes down to friction, i know it's more than that, but basically cause and effect of friction, so now my next question.....if this is caused from the jets "struggle" to get through the air, then once the barrier is broken, from that point on does the jet actually experience less friction? Hope that ? made some sense, lol.

I got that picture from a posting on the main yahOO page the other day, and when I open it from my files it is the same size, I would be happy to email it to you but I'm not sure it's what you want, but I'm sure a gOogle search will lead you to what you want, i hope so anyways.

So you are a chemist huh?, i find that fascinating, lots of possibilities, ever seen the show "Breaking Bad"?, you and I need to talk :lol::P Take care, lets keep in touch. Countless blessings and endless peace to ALL (through chemicals), just joking bro....GO RV!

• Upvote 2

Hey Funky Cold - Although there is some friction involved the majority of the heat is produced by compression of air due to the additive effect of one sound wave disturbance on top of another. In air, a sound wave is essentially a slight increase in the pressure of the air through which it propogates outwards from the source. In water, waves propogate by increasing the height of the water above the average water height (crest) and the trough is below the average water height. Sounds waves propogate in the medium of air in the same manner, but you can replace wave heights with differences in pressure as compared to the average pressure of the local air pressure with just background noise. The resaon a jet must apply maximum thrust to accelerate through the sound barrier "if you will" is because the elevated pressure tends "push back" on the forward motion of the airplane as it attempts to accelerate past the speed of sound. However, once the jet has gone supersonic there are essentially no elevated pressure waves ahead of the plane. Now air friction plays the major role in dictating how fast the plane can fly.

I ran a google search of the picture and just came up with this website. I saw that same picture on Yahoo! yesterday and when I went through my history and clicked on the link it now says it's broken. What's up with that?!?!?!?!?!

I must admit, it's a beauty! We used to call the 18s yard darts when they first came on board. We got em on the Saratoga back in the day. Overpowered and and hard as heck to fly, Had a few bugs at the start. Computer issues mostly. Since worked out and the most aggressive light attack bomber in the US arsenal (Don't tell the Air Force, they think there're all that!) How could this thing possibly compete with the 14. Brother, it does! For a dual mission light attack bomber, it does the job. I still keep in touch with a few "Jockies" I grew up with back then. But then who am I'm I to judge, I'm a A4-F4 kind of guy!

• Upvote 1

I must admit, it's a beauty! We used to call the 18s yard darts when they first came on board. We got em on the Saratoga back in the day. Overpowered and and hard as heck to fly, Had a few bugs at the start. Computer issues mostly. Since worked out and the most aggressive light attack bomber in the US arsenal (Don't tell the Air Force, they think there're all that!) How could this thing possibly compete with the 14. Brother, it does! For a dual mission light attack bomber, it does the job. I still keep in touch with a few "Jockies" I grew up with back then. But then who am I'm I to judge, I'm a A4-F4 kind of guy!

By the way! I'd rather stick my head up Bin Ladin's camel's arse than to have an 18 stuck up mine! Go America!, Go RV!, It' all good!

I saw a Rhino put through it's paces by a woman (WTF?) at the Pittsburgh Airshow last fall. Most AWESOME display of aerobatic feats I've ever seen at an Airshow.

To the Troops be the Glory.

Woman or not my friend. The mind controls the craft, the craft does not control the mind. Hat's off to female pilots!

• Upvote 1

Hey Funky Cold - Although there is some friction involved the majority of the heat is produced by compression of air due to the additive effect of one sound wave disturbance on top of another. In air, a sound wave is essentially a slight increase in the pressure of the air through which it propogates outwards from the source. In water, waves propogate by increasing the height of the water above the average water height (crest) and the trough is below the average water height. Sounds waves propogate in the medium of air in the same manner, but you can replace wave heights with differences in pressure as compared to the average pressure of the local air pressure with just background noise. The resaon a jet must apply maximum thrust to accelerate through the sound barrier "if you will" is because the elevated pressure tends "push back" on the forward motion of the airplane as it attempts to accelerate past the speed of sound. However, once the jet has gone supersonic there are essentially no elevated pressure waves ahead of the plane. Now air friction plays the major role in dictating how fast the plane can fly.

I ran a google search of the picture and just came up with this website. I saw that same picture on Yahoo! yesterday and when I went through my history and clicked on the link it now says it's broken. What's up with that?!?!?!?!?!

Great job! Atmosphere pulls back hard. Once you go Mach and punch through ,vision goes orange for a nanosec., then dead quiet. X2 and 3 is even better. Need some help here pilots. Chime in any time.

Different levels of humidity make the sound vary from really deep explosion to really sharp like a VERY loud whip ... Its a Beautiful thing

Well said, different in the desert than over the ocean, altitude as well.

I wonder who's flying that garbage can?

Sir! Thank our very freedom for it! Get a full squadron together in attack mode and "loud" is the least thing on the mind. "God bless this Country, our fighting women and men, and the citizens we love". Amen!

Thank you for your service! Glad you brought a few positive memories home with you. I got sick once too! About 1000 million times.