Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Maliki's Iraq leadership announcement delayed

Desert Medic

Maliki's Iraq leadership announcement delayed

AFP

Last Updated: Nov 21, 2010

Iraqi MPs were to meet on Sunday for the first time since Eid but hopes a new government would be formed quickly were dampened on news Nuri al Maliki would not be named premier-designate for several days.

The latest session of parliament, still only the fourth since polls in March, comes days after a power-sharing pact between Iraq's divided political factions put an end to months of impasse in which the country shattered the record for the longest period without a new administration following elections.

Newly re-elected President Jalal Talabani was not expected to officially ask Maliki to form a cabinet until Thursday, a parliamentary official said, so as to give the incumbent prime minister more time to negotiate ministerial posts.

Under Iraq's constitution, Talabani has 15 days to appoint a prime minister following his selection by MPs on November 11. He had earlier been expected to name Maliki as premier on Sunday.

Once selected, Maliki would have 30 days to form a government.

"Jalal Talabani decided to nominate Maliki as prime minister on Thursday, one day before the official limit," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"That is to give him the maximum amount of time to form the government, which is a very difficult task."

Sunday's scheduled session of parliament, the first since the conclusion of the five-day Muslim holiday of Eid al Adha, was to focus on the establishment of its committees and regulations, the official added.

An MP from Maliki's State of Law bloc said that the pan-Shiite alliance, which makes up parliament's biggest grouping and of which it is the largest component, had formed a committee to begin negotiations with other parties over cabinet posts.

"They will start today, the real negotiations with other political blocs," said Kamal al Saidi.

It comes after the power-sharing pact was agreed earlier this month and lauded by international leaders including US President Barack Obama, although the agreement has looked fragile ever since.

The deal called for Maliki, a Shiite, and Talabani, a Kurd, to keep their jobs and for a Sunni Arab to be selected speaker of parliament.

It also established a new statutory body to oversee security as a sop to ex-premier Iyad Allawi, who had held out for months to regain the top job after his Iraqiya bloc narrowly won the most seats in the March 7 poll.

The support of Iraqiya, which garnered most of its seats in Sunni areas, is widely seen as vital to preventing a resurgence of inter-confessional violence.

The Sunni Arab minority that dominated Saddam Hussein's regime was the bedrock of the anti-US insurgency after the 2003 invasion.

In a sign of the tenuousness of the accord, around 60 Iraqiya MPs walked out of a session of parliament on November 11, the day after the deal was signed, protesting that it was not being honoured.

The bloc's MPs had wanted three of its senior members, barred before the election for their alleged ties to Saddam's banned Baath party, to be reinstated immediately.

Two days later, however, Iraq's lawmakers appeared to have salvaged the deal after leaders from the country's three main parties met and agreed to reconcile and address the MPs' protests.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/worldwide/middle-east/malikis-iraq-leadership-announcement-delayed

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

This is the crap that has people ready to give up on this irrational investment. I posted that we would see another delay and what do we read first thing Monday morning, more delays!! This is going to continue for years. We have no reasonable expectation of seeing anything other than delays. This is the only thing that they know. This latest delay will now allow for further disagreement and even more problems. The cycle is never ending. It is very clear now that the announcement of the government was nothing that a bluff to give the appearance of progress and stability in an effort to delay a civil war! How can they ever meet the new budget or even the old one with no clear leadership? 2011 HERE WE COME.!

Edited by Officer151
  • Upvote 13
  • Downvote 15

Am i wrong in assuming they are still following their normal procedure?

The 15 and 30 day benchmarks are still in play

Did we really think they would come in below those marks? That said, it's still possible they can

Let it play out 1st

We still have 41 days till EOY

Nothing we say is going to speed this up

Thanks for the post

Semper Fi

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

We need to focus on the economics of Iraq - their oil reserves and financial opportunities. There is no way they are going to be allowed to fail. We want their oil at a future price of XX - they need a solid finanical system to operate. I know this news is frustrating but heck its been 7 years so just go about your day and forget about this as a lottery ticket - it will happen but who knows when. Stay blessed! ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Am i wrong in assuming they are still following their normal procedure?

The 15 and 30 day benchmarks are still in play

Did we really think they would come in below those marks? That said, it's still possible they can

Let it play out 1st

We still have 41 days till EOY

Nothing we say is going to speed this up

Thanks for the post

Semper Fi

agreed.. it will happen! when they are ready.

• Upvote 4

This is the crap that has people ready to give up on this irrational investment. I posted that we would see another delay and what do we read first thing Monday morning, more delays!! This is going to continue for years. We have no reasonable expectation of seeing anything other than delays. This is the only thing that they know. This latest delay will now allow for further disagreement and even more problems. The cycle is never ending. It is very clear now that the announcement of the government was nothing that a bluff to give the appearance of progress and stability in an effort to delay a civil war! How can they ever meet the new budget or even the old one with no clear leadership? 2011 HERE WE COME.!

Be still. Take your emotion out of this. They are sitting on multiple TRILLIONS in natural resources and they know it. They are also being courted right now by the world, and they know it. TONS of activity happening in Iraq currently. Its a HOTBED. And they know it. There is A LOT at stake for all of them (the factions) and NONE of them wants to get kicked out of the party. They just want to make sure each one is equally represented and no one takes advantage of the power vacuum,. They are naturally skeptical since they had a Totalitarian state for 30 years. They will figure this out because in the end they ALL realize it benefits ALL of them. And when they do come to grips with all of this....then we "lucky little ones" will also benefit. This is about them and their future and their children's and children's children's future. This is a LEGACY MOMENT and none of the factions wants to screw it up. It will happen in the way its supposed to happen on its own timetable. This whole thing is really amazing when you think about it it and the fact that we can even get invited to the party in our own small way is just...well...hopefully a blessing REALIZED.

• Upvote 16
  • Downvote 1

Hey Desert Medic. How's the weather? Look at PressTV and they say that Maliki's deal WILL happen today. I'd link it up for you but computer illiteracy is one of my greatest virtues. :blink:

It is there though. B)

Id love to, but my computer access is restricted to some areas, anything streaming, i cant watch, we are only allowed so much band with a day. i have went over one time and i listend to a confrence call. so i cant even do that anymore. As far a tv. yeah, they are hooking up cable now in our LSA, so it will be another week or 2 before i can watch tv in my room. Im hoping ill be out of here before that tho... ;)

• Upvote 2

Everything that I read from you is all negitive. WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE! GO BOTHER ANOTHER SITE!

• Upvote 17

This post is really not un-expected or negative (after reading it 3 x's now) We should never expect anything a few days early. Nothing bad has happened to delay this past their allotted time, were still moving forward in the allowable time frame. As long as there are no major set backs/fumbles while we are in these final days/the red zone we should all be greatfull and happy!

• Upvote 2

Be still. Take your emotion out of this. They are sitting on multiple TRILLIONS in natural resources and they know it. They are also being courted right now by the world, and they know it. TONS of activity happening in Iraq currently. Its a HOTBED. And they know it. There is A LOT at stake for all of them (the factions) and NONE of them wants to get kicked out of the party. They just want to make sure each one is equally represented and no one takes advantage of the power vacuum,. They are naturally skeptical since they had a Totalitarian state for 30 years. They will figure this out because in the end they ALL realize it benefits ALL of them. And when they do come to grips with all of this....then we "lucky little ones" will also benefit. This is about them and their future and their children's and children's children's future. This is a LEGACY MOMENT and none of the factions wants to screw it up. It will happen in the way its supposed to happen on its own timetable. This whole thing is really amazing when you think about it it and the fact that we can even get invited to the party in our own small way is just...well...hopefully a blessing REALIZED.

What he said. :lol:

Phoenix

• Upvote 3

Wait a minute! Why did we send McCain, Leiberman and Graham over there? Why did Obama say "You'll stay in Chapter 7 until hell freezes over", if they don't shape up? What about all this intel from "so called" people in the know with all their connections and inside information? What about the WTO? Does all this stuff just go out the window now?

• Upvote 2

Wait a minute! Why did we send McCain, Leiberman and Graham over there? Why did Obama say "You'll stay in Chapter 7 until hell freezes over", if they don't shape up? What about all this intel from "so called" people in the know with all their connections and inside information? What about the WTO? Does all this stuff just go out the window now?

They have 15 days from the 11th as stated in the article to announce the pm. That is Friday the 26th. They are not behind schedule yet. Nothing bad has happened, relax.

• Upvote 3

Poor baby.

Officer151 you break my heart...does "yellow make you sad?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA&feature=related

:lol:

Edited by Phoenix
  • Upvote 11

This post is really not un-expected or negative (after reading it 3 x's now) We should never expect anything a few days early. Nothing bad has happened to delay this past their allotted time, were still moving forward in the allowable time frame. As long as there are no major set backs/fumbles while we are in these final days/the red zone we should all be greatfull and happy!

Your right, I'll just read it three or four times until I see what I want to see. Maybe I'll cross my eyes too. Are you kidding me man. Wait, I know, smoke and mirrors. I feel bad for the guru's families who have lost their loved ones to countless man hours of postings and research that to date have been 100% wrong and completely worthless. You would have been more fruitful playing catch with your kid. Hours of research and even trips to Iraq but not one intel report indicating the delay that has been revealed. Whatever............

Edited by Officer151
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 10