Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Bleak Outlook for Iraqi politics

Pastor Tommy

Don't know if this has been posted already but came across it today. If a duplicate my apology.

Bleak outlook for Iraqi politics

Although a government has been formed, there has been little reconciliation

By Mohammad Akef Jamal, Special to Gulf News

Published: 00:00 November 20, 2010

The Iraqi president's role in ending the deadlock over the formation of a government has been greatly exaggerated by the media.

There is a huge gap between dreams and illusions and the Iraqi people's bitter reality. The distance between the two is partially a result of the political elite's remoteness from the country's people, and it's almost total isolation. Moreover, the bloody events witnessed in Iraq do not appear to have motivated decision makers to present solutions that may end the political process's gridlock in the country.

Leaders of the various political blocs met on November 8 in Erbil, the capital of Kurdistan Autonomous Region.

It was hoped the meeting would lead to a long-awaited political breakthrough, as neighbouring countries were becoming anxious about Iraq's instability.

The meeting coincided with three major blasts in Najaf, Karbala and Basra, which claimed the lives of many and injured others.

The meeting left a lot to be desired. It was purely bureaucratic, with speeches delivered by a number of Iraqi politicians.

Nothing that was mentioned was novel, optimistic or could be considered as a move towards breaking the gridlock. The speeches echoed the sentiments that had created the problem in the first place.

Touchy issues and difficult problems were not discussed at all. As no developments resulted, many questions were raised about the justification for such a meeting.

Talks lasted only one day, because there was nothing more left to say. The people who conferred in a single two-hour meeting decided to resume their negotiations in Baghdad over the next couple of days as a prelude to the Thursday parliamentary session. During the Baghdad meetings, a number of amendments were made to proposals by which a government would be formed, after Iraqiya objected to the omission of four items that it had demanded previously.

The pressure exerted on the political blocs was increasing by the minute. The third day's results surprised everyone, because the political blocs decided to hold a parliamentary session. This session was a disaster. The State of Law coalition backtracked on a commitment made to Iraqiya the day before. The promises regarding the formation of a National Council for Strategic Policy, political reform, accountability and justice were all broken, prompting the Iraqiya leader and a large number of the bloc's members of parliament to walk out.

It seems the Erbil meeting was intended to pressure Iraqiya to accept the offer of the position of parliamentary speaker, because the other parties had decided amongst themselves who would fill the positions of prime minister and president, despite pressure from the US.

No national unity

The chances of Iraqiya having a say in serious decision making appear to have receded, as the prime minister has refused to give up any of his powers. His pretext for this is that doing so would require constitutional amendments that might take considerable time, stalling the political process. The end result is that the prime minister has refused to form a government of national unity, as suggested by Iraqiya.

The disagreements between Iraqiya and the National Alliance have not been resolved, but they have led to important changes.

Iraqiya's position has weakened in recent months, especially since it gave up its right to head the government. The bloc also lost the position of president.

Moreover, it has started to soften its position, whereas previously it had insisted it would not take part in a government headed by Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Al Maliki.

It was also clear that Iraqiya was divided, as many of its members remained in parliament when others walked out.

If illusions are cast aside, one may decide that there is little reason for optimism in the Iraqi political process. Iraq is drifting into the unknown, while the disagreements between different political blocs may find expression on the streets, making it very difficult to predict the outcome.

In the midst of these complications, foreign influence may assist in resolving this dilemma. However, reconciliation efforts by some neighbouring countries have been harshly rejected by a number of Iraqi parties due to ideological sensitivities or as a result of past intrusions, which harmed Iraq's stability.

The US may be able to wield the most influence for a number of reasons. The US is not linked to any Iraqi ethnic or religious groups; it is mostly accepted by all because it brought down the former Iraqi regime, thus paving the way for the new forces in the government; and it enjoys a distinguished position in the world. The US also has what it takes to make some stubborn countries absolve Iraq of paying its debts. Last but not least, the US has an interest in seeing the Iraqi political process succeed.

However, the US has not appeared to put pressure on any party other than Iraqiya.

The Iraqi political scene will remain unstable in the short term, as chances for a political reconciliation appear to have receded.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Geez, give me a break! If they were getting something worthwhile done, why are they meeting on weekends, nights, holy days, etc. They all hate each other, but they know they are all done if they don't get their act together, and they don't want to lose any of their money, I agree SMOKE SCREENS................................................

sorry , I meant if they "weren't" gettting something done............

• Upvote 1

Its a good find Pastor Tommy , but it is a report written in a reporters opinion and not bound by facts . He's reporting about the " emotions" on the streets and not about what is being played out in the actual meetings. While his opinions may be insightful , they are still his opinions and as such , should be taken in as only that.

It's still good news hunting work though. Keep up the good work ! :lol:

Uncle Barkie

• Upvote 3

People are so blinded by this hope of this investment that they discount any reports that don't reflect what they want to hear. When the reports don't support their hopes and dreams they call it smoke and mirrors. How about ranking this up there with fact and reality. If TK posts 8.00RV everyone goes gaga running his posts into the thousands but this guy will get bashed. It is no surprise that this government is corrupt.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

People are so blinded by this hope of this investment that they discount any reports that don't reflect what they want to hear. When the reports don't support their hopes and dreams they call it smoke and mirrors. How about ranking this up there with fact and reality. If TK posts 8.00RV everyone goes gaga running his posts into the thousands but this guy will get bashed. It is no surprise that this government is corrupt.

I agree that many of us are looking for a silver lining with this investment, but one thing that I have heard repeatedly here and in the "real world" while talking of the political system/RV, is that there will be a lot of smoke blowing especially right before the RV. Now is a perfect time for the RV to happen, and this story reeks of inconsistency and smoke.

Presentation/positive outlook may have a lot to do with TK's reply numbers, but nobody is bashing this guy so far... I would hope they wouldn't.

• Upvote 1

So you think this guys opinion is fact? :lol:

• Upvote 1

Maybe I did not post my reply so that everyone could understand. This is old news. Pastor Tommy only posted a new article he had found. I thank you for that. I did not see any bashing. My point of the being OLD NEWS was that the meeting took place on Nov 8th and the Iraqiya walkout was on Nov 13th. Allawi submitted his apologies for the misunderstanding of the talks on Nov15th. I thought we were past all the disagreements discussions as terms have been satisfied. The only one we should be bashing is the news agency that allowed this type old news. It is up to us to take each report we hear and form an opinion as to the credibility of the reporter. Pastor Tommy brought something to the table we can mull over and decide weather or not it weighs credibility to current events. I wish everyone would accept the good reports with the bad.

• Upvote 1

I thought this was a blog for posting whatever we find that at least is assumed to be new info? Wow, you folks act like I wrote this article. I was just trying to pass along anything current that I haven't seen here. No wonder those that share intel here get tired of even posting anything because of the negative feedback and complaints or just rude comments. Some need to grow up. I'm hoping for the best for all of us, but if something seems to shed some light that I come across I thought is what this blog is about. Geeez!

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

I thought this was a blog for posting whatever we find that at least is assumed to be new info? Wow, you folks act like I wrote this article. I was just trying to pass along anything current that I haven't seen here. No wonder those that share intel here get tired of even posting anything because of the negative feedback and complaints or just rude comments. Some need to grow up. I'm hoping for the best for all of us, but if something seems to shed some light that I come across I thought is what this blog is about. Geeez!

No worries here. You are right about this being a blog. I have seeen some put up disclaimers to keep bashing to a minimum. When a post comes up I think people are ready for something to sink their teeth into, be it negative or positive. Thanks for taking the time to post this. All articles are beginning to sound the same anymore. I have learned to read a lot and say little. God gave me Two eyes , Two ears , and One mouth for a reason. GO GOI>>>>GO RV !!!!! B)

• Upvote 1

With all due respect Pastor Tommy , I dont think GolferDan was bashing or discrediting you.

He just pointed out that the article was referring to prior incidents from the past .

Man,everyone is so on edge with all the anticipation of the RV.

Lets all take a breather and give everyone some room here... think of the POSITIVE things we will be able

to do for not only ourselves,but for family,friends,and for some,strangers...once this thing goes.

When? nobody knows.

We should feel blessed that we're here,we have a great group of people we can call friends....and it will happen.

• Upvote 1

:P

The actual article is posted today in that news publishing however this is old news. The date in the article is November 8th and referring to things that took place around the same time line. The GOI is past this misunderstanding and if you read other post is ready to move on.

You are correct Dan

JugDawg1

Posted Today, 10:18 PM

Let it roll like water off a ducks back P Tom. Don't sweat the small stuff. Quite often it just come out wrong and not meant personally. When it is, it's just small minds and don't sweat them either.

Your right Jugdawg...the small stuff is unimportant. My original post had a disclaimer before I added the story as I have not been on here very long and was unsure of the validity of the info. Obviously I am way behind on all the info that's been added over the years. My apology to all...I will bow out gracefully and stick to reading and learning. Besides I have not seen anything here that anyone has posted so far that is any different from some other post to some degree. Seems no one really knows much more than what was said years or even months ago. Once again, I'm the newbie here...I'll leave this to those that know what has or hasn't already been posted. Blessings to all of you and hopefully things will happen soon for all. Goodnight!