Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The Mailman hates me

This is the story of my Brother in-law SGT. Curtis Ritter of the 56th Strykers and his P.A. National Guard unit ( recently home from service in Iraq.)

He relayed this story to me over time as they were deployed and ( it really didn't sink in until they returned home) I was amazed at how little things from home can make a big difference in the life of a person serving our country overseas. It reminds them how we at home love them and carry them in our thoughts everyday.

When we learned that " Critter," as he was affectionately called , was being deployed ,we promised too keep him stocked with his favorite things from home ( He is a twizzlers freak ...lol.) Our family began immediately after Critter left for Fort Dix ( after several months of training in Loisianna.) We wanted to have at least a small package ready for him and his unit when they arrived at there final destination in Iraq. We collected up the usual , deodorants ,soaps, razors. pens, paper, envelopes and when they were received it was much appreciated by all . But the packages they most enjoyed were the true "comforts " of home .At least twice a month we collected up their various favorite treats and goodies ( most upon request ) and mailed them, knowing the mailman was gonna be stressed .We started small with the first package , it was only 25lbs. but as the the request for different treats and sweets came, in that grew quickly ...lol ... very quickly! I work for a major wholesale club so as the request grew so did the costs .Knowing this little treats from home meant so much , my family and I approached my company and asked if we could collect items to mail to Critter ( SGT. Ritter also works with me at the wholesale club, ) and they were more than happy to get involved.

When the time for our third month ( our sixth mailing ) came I was delighted and touched by the amount of goods we had collected at work . We had 15 lbs. of beef jerky , over 50lbs of all different kinds of candies and chewing gums , some 20 lbs. of peanuts , cashews and pistachios , not to mention more razors shaving cream hand sanitizers of all kinds and lens cleaner packets ( for their sunglasses .) The most prized item though were the some 20 boxes of Tastykakes we mailed . Imagine that ... no snack cakes in Iraq... lol . When all was said and done we had eight 40+ lb. boxes to mail for the sixth mailing. I talked to Critter the night I mailed the packages and told him to expect a " large " shipment ." He blurted out that the Mailman already hates him. I laughed and told him he'd better get on his good side.

A little over ten days later ( at 3am est. ) we got a skype call from Sgt. Ritter . It was just after 11 in the morning there and he had just gotten back from a night operation . When he and his roomate walked into there little " hootch" ( I can't remember what he called it ) they were shocked to find all the packages piled up in the room. Critter, being his units " Dad," immediate gathered everyone up and handed out some of the treats for all to enjoy . I say some, because no one ever knew there were twizzlers to be had ... lol .. he really is a Twizzlers freak.

Now this is in no way to toot any horns. This is solely put forth to honor those that are left at home and those that never forget their service men and women abroad. Even the smallest of things from home have the biggest of impacts on our troops and it reminds them that we love them. So please, if you see someone collecting goods to mail over seas to our troops or your children in school are to write letters ... please support them and let our troops know we appreciate their service .

God Bless all of our Troops and their Families in the upcoming holiday season. May your holidays bring many safe returns

Uncle Barkie

• Upvote 7