Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

RECIPE SECTION

DaveH

CRICKET'S EVERYTHING COOKIE :)

2 CUPS BUTTER ( NOT MARGARINE)

2 TEASPOONS VANILLA

4 EGGS

4 CUPS FLOUR

5 CUPS BLENDED OATMEAL

1 TEASPOON SALT

2 TEASPOONS BAKING SODA

2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER

12 OUNCES CHOCOLATE CHIPS (1 PKG)

12 OUNCES BUTTERSCOTCH CHIPS ( 1PKG)

8 OUNCES HEATH ENGLISH TOFFEE BITS (1PKG)

1 SM PKG OF CHOPPED PECANS

1 SM PKG OF MACADAMIA NUT PIECES

1 SM PKG OF BLACK WALNUT PIECES

(ANY OTHER NUTS YOU WANT TO ADD)

BLENDED OATMEAL: Measure and blend in a blender to a fine powder.

Cream butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt , baking powder and baking soda. Add chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, candy, and nuts. Roll into balls and place 2" apart on cookie sheet. Bake at 375* for 6 minutes.

Enjoy!!!!

I made this one for T-Day. Awesome eats.

BAKED SQUASH CASSEROLE

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1850,148191-237207,00.html

Content Copyright © 2010 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

2 lb. zucchini or yellow summer

3 tbsp. chopped onion

3 eggs, beaten

1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce

1/2 c. melted butter

2 tsp. parsley flakes

Salt and pepper

2 c. cracker crumbs

Slice squash in 1/2 inch pieces. Boil until tender; drain. Add onion, eggs, and seasonings. Mix well. Pan into 1 quart buttered casserole dish. Mix crumbs and butter; sprinkle over squash. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until brown.

Here is the chili that I make:

10 lbs. 95% lean Ground Beef

2 lbs. Ground Pork

2 large Onions

3 Bell Peppers

Olive Oil

20 oz. Banana Peppers

16 oz. Pepperoncini Peppers

8 oz. Green Chilies

56 oz. Diced Tomatoes

29 oz. Tomato Sauce

29 oz. Crushed Tomatoes

12 oz. Tomato Paste

1 qt. Chicken Broth

½ cup Vinegar

6 oz. Chile powder

2 tsp. Celery Seed

2 tsp. Onion Powder

2tsp. Garlic Salt

¾ cup Dark Brown Sugar

2 tbsp. Chopped Garlic

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I know I am a newbie but I sure do need something to keep my mind off of the RV! I hope you all enjoy the recipe. I figured we all needed a little something to distract us lol.

These yummy sammies could also be used in a RV party! :)

Garlic Bread Sammies

These are perfect for a simple dinner or a party appetizer. They would be perfect for Superbowl or New Years parties! You can pretty much use any kind of cheese and you could even change up the meat. Very easy and super tasty!

Ingredients:

1 loaf pre sliced garlic bread

1 pound sliced deli roast beef

1 medium onion

1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper

2 tsp minced garlic

6-8 slices deli cheese ( I used chipolte cheddar but you can use pretty much any variety i.e. provolone, muenster, colby jack etc...)

Directions:

Preheat oven according to garlic bread directions. Bake the garlic bread for 5 minutes or until lightly brown. Spray non-stick skillet with pam (you can also use butter or oil but I use pam to cut calories.) Meanwhile tear roast beef into bite sized pieces and saute on medium heat and add onion, green bell pepper and minced garlic. Add preferred seasonings. Cook about 8 minutes or until beef is slightly browned and onions are tender. Place about 3 tbsps of the beef mixture on top of each piece of garlic bread. Place a slice of cheese on top of each "sammie". Place back in the oven at the garlic bread cooking temp for about 3 minutes or until cheese is slightly bubbly and browned. Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

I've used many of the recipes on this posting so far...and am really enjoying this section! Ok, let's get down to the basics...COMFORT FOODs....what are yours?

According to one article, here are American's top 25:

• Apple Pie

• Baked Beans

• Banana Pudding

• Beef Stew

• Brisket Pot Roast

• Chicken & Dumplings

• Chicken Pot Pie

• Chicken Soup

• Chili

• Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Corn on the Cob

• Fried Chicken

• Gelatin

• Green Bean Casserole

• Hot Dogs

• Ice Cream

• Macaroni & Cheese

• Mashed Potatoes

• Meatloaf

• Potato Salad

• Pumpkin Pie

• Shepherd's Pie

• Spaghetti

• Tomato Soup

• Tuna Casserole

http://homecooking.about.com/od/classicdishrecipes/a/comfortfoods.htm

I have two, one old and one relatively new. My old one is Pesto...with Mushrooms and Pine Nuts. My new one is a very tangy Cabbage Salad. Curious what the rest of you love to eat that makes you feel great! :)

JUSTIN WILSON'S CRABMEAT au Gratin :o

6 tbsn margarine or butter

1 cup chopped white onion

1/2 cup chopped green onion

1/4 cup chopped parsley

1/2 tspn chopped garlic

1 lb white crabmeat

2 tbsn all-purpose flour

1 cup water

1 cup stock

1 cup grated cheddar cheese

1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese

salt to taste

2 splashes Lousiana hot sauce

ground cayenne to taste

Preheat oven to 350, Saute onions & parsley in butter, Stir in garlic, crabmeat, salt & pepper

Add flour stirring contantly to lightly brown. Slowly add stock & water stirring to thicken.

Add 1/2 the cheddar cheese stir until melted.

Turn into greased casserole dish and top with rest of cheese and bake 20 minutes.

:):DB):D:)

I like easy foods to make...this is an easy way to make enchiladas

1 large can refried beans ( taco bell ) brand

1 can enchilada sauce ( whatever heat you like )

1 can tomato soup

1 small bottle taco sauce ( whatever heat you like )

flour shells

cheese ( mexican ) blend

mix beans and taco sauce together

1 tblspoon sugar or more whatever taste you like

mix together

fill your flour shell with beans, sprinkle cheese on top and roll..place your rolled shells close together in a dish.

sauce..mix enchilada sauce and tomato soup together.pour over your rolled shells

bake 350 oven for 30 minutes take out add cheese, put in oven until cheese is melted

very very easy and really good..I like easy..biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Ceviche (cooked in lime juice)

1 lb firm white fish (snapper, grouer or Cobia)

1 lb shrimp

1 lb small bay scallops

1/2 cup minced red onion

1 can stewed tomatoes

1/4 cup fresh minced cilantro

2 T. olive oil

1/2 cup red/yellow peppers finely diced

1 large avocado diced

1/4 tsp cumin

2 T garlic

Splash of Apple Cider Vinegar

1/4 cup of red wine

Fresh lime juice to cover all ingredients (12-15 limes)

The TRUE recipe calls for raw fish/shimp/scallops but I actually boil all 3 for about 3 mins. Dice fish/scallops/shrimp into small bite sized pieces. Combine seasfood with all ingredients except avocado/cilantro and completely cover with fresh lime juice. Refrig for 12-24 hrs. Stir frequently. Serve in chilled martini glasses topped with chopped cilantro/ avocado spritzed with lemon juice. Good with corn chips or pita chips. Keeps for 3-4 days before seafood begins to get tough. For a spicer taste, add 1/4 cup of Jalapeno peppers during marinated process.

Note: Although seafood is only partially cooked, they "cook" in the citric acid of the lime juice.

Enjoy. :)

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

Blackened Salmon Filet with a Citrus Melon Salsa

Heart friendly recipe I got from WMUR, Manchester NH, on its website which it had found from the American Heart Association. Enjoy!

A. Salmon

Fresh Salmon Filet (7-8 ounces)

Cajun Seasoning (Cayenne Pepper, Chili Powder, Cumin, Coriander, Paprika, Granulated Garlic)

Coat Salmon with seasoning. Add salmon to a very hot cast iron or saute pan. The pan will smoke as the seasoning sears to the salmon. Feel free to add a little butter to help the searing process. When a blackened (not burnt) color has formed, flip the salmon over. If you prefer your fish cooked more thoroughly, place into a 400* oven.

(I've always cooked my blackened Salmon using the outdoor grill's side burner and the skillet - but it can be done indoors with a stove's overhead fan on as well)

Next, the really fun part!!! :)

B. Citrus Melon Salsa

Ingredients

3/4 cup honeydew, fine dice

3/4 cup Cantaloupe, fine dice

3/4 cup Pinapple, fine dice

3/4 cup plum tomatoes, fine dice

1/3 cup green pepper, fine diced & blanched

1/3 cup red pepper, fine diced & blanched

1/2 cup red onion, fine julienne & salted

1 fresh lemon, zest & juice

1 fresh orange, zest & juice

1 fresh lime, zest & juice

1 tsp. tabasco sauce

1 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped

2 tbsp olive oil

Salt & pepper to taste

Add all ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Incorporate well and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve as a side dish for a topping to go on the Salmon.

:D

• 2 months later...

I am so hungry now! I'll give a quick favorite of mine, then off to the store for carrot cake ingredients!

LOTS OF GREAT SOUNDING RECIPES!

SIMPLE CARNITAS (roast pork)

Crock pot

2+ pounds of cheap pork roast

1 large orange (cut in half)

Garlic (up to you, I use 6+ cloves)

Cilantro (or not)

salsa

tortillas (Corn or flower) or sandwich bun

guacamole

sour cream

cheese

Put roast into crock pot (low if leaving over 6 hours)

smash garlic cloves and add over meat

squeeze both orange halves over meat and toss in left over orange

Cinantro (if you like)

Let cook 6+ hours (I have left it cooking 12)

Remove falling apart roast

You can serve it "family style" with other ingredients on the side in bowls, plate it with other ingredients on the side, or if heading out (on the boat) put the carnitas on the tortillas or bun, and garnish with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, sliced or shredded cheese, and cilantro (optional).

A notable addition/variation is having refried beans on the side or added to the sandwich/torta. (this is handy to stretch the meal if friends show up last minute because it smells so good)!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Look at the dates here. This has to be longest running thread!

Crock pot mushroom chicken.

6 boneless chicken breasts

1 jar mushrooms (drained)

2 cans campbells golden mushroom

1 can cream of mushroon

Later that day, cut chicken in crock pot (should almost fall apart)

Serve over egg noodles

Yum!

***Roadkill Recipes***

Raccoon Kabobs

Two pounds, reasonably fresh raccoon, cut into one-inch cubes; one-half cup homemade French dressing; two green peppers, cut into squares; one large onion, cut into one-inch pieces; one-third pound mushroom caps.

Place raccoon cubes in a ceramic bowl and pour dressing over cubes. Let marinate two or more hours. Remove cubes, reserving marinade. Alternate raccoon cubes with pepper squares, onion pieces and mushroom caps on skewers. Brush all with reserved marinade and broil over hot coals until done to desired degree. Turn frequently and baste with marinade as needed.

Serves six.

Moose-and-Squirrel Meat Balls.
(Especially useful recipe if main ingredients have been dead for 24 or more hours before harvested)

Three pounds, ground moose and squirrel, any proportion; six slices soft white bread; one-half cup water; one-third cup butter; one-and-one-third cups chopped onion; salt and freshly ground black pepper; two tablespoons chopped parsley; two tablespoons flour; one-and-one-half cups milk.

Soak bread in water five minutes. Squeeze excess water out. Melt four tablespoons butter in skillet. Sauté onion in butter until tender. Combine moose and squirrel meat, squeezed bread, four teaspoons salt, one-half teaspoon pepper and parsley. Form mixture into one-inch balls. Chill twenty minutes. Heat remaining butter in skillet. Brown moose-and-squirrel balls on all sides. Cover skillet and cook slowly 15 minutes. Remove balls to warm platter. Sprinkle flour over skillet droppings. Stir and cook one minute. Stir in milk and bring to boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return moose-and-squirrel balls to skillet. Simmer four minutes.

Serves eight.

Pennsylvania Possum Pot Pie.
(Often served to unsuspecting bed-and-breakfast tourists in Amish country)

Five-pound possum, cut into serving pieces; water; salt; 12 peppercorns; two ribs celery, chopped; two carrots, quartered; one onion; two cups flour; four egg yolks; six tablespoons hot water

Place possum in kettle. Add water to cover, salt to taste, peppercorns, celery, carrots and onion. Simmer until possum is thoroughly tender, about two hours. Strain broth and pour into clean kettle. Simmer while preparing remaining ingredients. Remove possum from bones. Discard bones and skin. Cut possum into bite-size pieces. Sift flour and one-half teaspoon salt together onto board. Make well in center and put egg yolks into it. Gradually work yolks into flour until stiff dough is formed, adding hot water as needed. Knead until smooth, about five minutes. Cut dough in half. Roll each half until paper thin. Cut dough into noodles about one inch wide. Add possum to simmering broth. Gradually add noodles. Continue boiling until noodles are done, about five minutes.

Serves eight to twelve.

Skunk Skillet Stew.
(A sensory entree, not recommended for the weak-stomached)

Two adult skunks, skinned, deboned and shredded; save scent sacs and set aside; one-fourth cup oil; one-fourth cup butter; two cups finely chopped celery; one-fourth cup finely chopped parsley; two cloves garlic, finely minced; one bay leaf; two carrots, chopped; two tablespoons flour; one cup beef broth; one cup dry red wine; three tablespoons cognac; one pound ripe, red tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped; salt and freshly ground pepper to taste; juice of half-lemon; one-fourth teaspoon nutmeg; one cup Madeira wine.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large skillet, brown skunk well in oil and butter; add carrots and stir until lightly browned. Sprinkle with flour. Add broth as needed when mixture starts to brown. Stir to dissolve brown particles. Add remaining broth, red wine, cognac, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Place in oven, cover and bake three hours. Strain gravy, pressing as much of cooked vegetable mixture as possible through sieve. Bring strained mixture to boil. Add lemon juice, nutmeg, Madeira. Carefully puncture scent sacs and add fluids to mixture. Simmer five minutes. Pour sauce over skunk.

Serves eight.

Note: If any of these species are not commonly found on roadsides in your geographic area,
you may easily substitute such other carrion delicacies as armadillo, alligator or mongoose meats.
Be creative. Bon appé***!

Frogmore Stew

Ingredients

If you are from South Carolina, particularly the Low Country, you know this meal. It's best served by spreading newspaper on a picnic table and dumping it right on the table!

Ingredients

6 quarts water

3/4 cup Tony Chacheres Craw Fish and Crab Boil (available on there web site) or Old Bay Seasoning

2 pounds new red potatoes

2 pounds hot smoked sausage links, cut into 2 inch pieces

12 ears corn - husked, cleaned and quartered

4 pounds large fresh shrimp, unpeeled

Directions

Bring water and Tony Chacheres Craw Fish and Crab Boil or Old Bay Seasoning to boil in a large stockpot.

Add potatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Add sausage and cook for 5 minutes more. Add corn and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes. Drain immediately and serve.

• Upvote 1

Easy and very good grilled salsa....

Ingredients:

2 red bell peppers

2 Anaheim peppers

2 Onions

4 jalapenos (you can use more or less depending on how hot you want it...also good with habineros)

1/2 Pineapple (you can use canned slices but the flavor is better with fresh)

Salt

Slice bell peppers into 4 strips each...slice onions and pineapple into fairly thick slices.

Place all items on a hot grill until blackened

cut the stems off of the anaheim and jalapenos.

put everything into a blender and blend on high...salt to taste (it needs salt)

Serve hot

Very easy and great flavor.

Edited by jmw

Best Bread Pudding ...Yum yum (got this from another DV member)

WHITE CHOCOLATE BREAD PUDDING W/VANILLA SAUCE

3c whipping cream

10oz white chocolate

1c whole milk

1/2c sugar

2 eggs (yolk and whites)

8 egg yolks

1 loaf french bread (about 12 inches)

Heat cream in double boiler and add white chocolate till melted....set aside

in dbl boiler heat milk, eggs, yolks and sugar till warm (sugar disolved) ..add to chocolate mixture

cut bread into 1/2 inches pieces, place on cookie sheet place in oven @ 275 degree till dry ..approx 10 mins

In casserole dish (I use a 9x13 pan) put dry bread and 1/2 mixture over bread and soak for 15 mins..add remainder of mixture.

cover w/foil and bake @ 275 for 1 hr........uncover, bake 15 mins or until golden

VANILLA SAUCE

1/2csugar

1/2c brown sugar

1/2c butter

1/2c heavy cream

cook over med heat 5-8 mins stirring occasionally ...add 1 tsp vanilla

1st time I pour the sauce over the pudding it was to much...I suggest sauce on the side and each serving is individual preference

Served warm....yummmmmmmmmmmmm

Lebanese Stuffed Grape Leaves

My grandfather on my father's side came to the USA from Lebanon and settled in upper state NY. He brought with him several family recipes and one was stuffed grape leaves with tomatoes. He showed my mother how to make them and she in turn passed it along to me one day. It's always been a family favorite.

Ingredients:

One jar grape leaves, 1 lb. /454g (Krinos brand is preferred)

One large can diced tomatoes

1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck

1 cup white rice, uncooked (Minute Rice is okay)

1 white or yellow onion, finely diced

1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)

Description:

Carefully remove all of the grape leaves from the jar by grabbing the entire bulk and lightly twisting them out.. Leave the brine in the jar to be disposed of later. Lay the leaves on a flat surface, such as a dining table with some wax paper or a large cutting board. Have a large bowl nearby to set the leaves in once they're filled.

In a second large bowl mix the ground chuck with the rice, lemon juice, and onions.

The next part stuffing the leaves will start out with some difficulty but as you go it becomes very easy. Take each leaf one at a time and lay it shiny side down, spreading it out fully with the stem pointing towards you. Pinch off or cut the leaf stem off. Next, take enough of the meat mixture to form a half index finger-sized portion and place it in the center of the leaf. Then roll the bottom of the leaf over the meat. After that fold over the large side edges of the leaf over the center and continue to roll the leaf up to the top. When finished the roll should appear like the size of your thumb (maybe a little larger). Reserve any torn or unusable leaves for placing in a pan as a foundation. Repeat this step until 75 to 100 rolls are made. For this quantity you'll want to use a good sized Dutch oven to cook them in. For smaller quantities a large sauté or sauce pan will do. Lay a few of the torn leaf pieces or unused leaves into the bottom of the pan chosen. Over that place 1/4 of the diced tomatoes. Reserving the remaining juice and tomatoes. Begin laying the grape leaf rolls in the pan with the ends pointing outward and in layers as you fill the pan. Then take the remaining diced tomatoes and fill the gaps made on the outermost edges of the rolls, just on the inside of the pan. Pour the remaining tomato juice into the pan and then add enough water to fill to about the half way mark. Next take the pan of leaves to your stove and bring it all to a boil. Cover and cook for approximately 90 minutes on low or until the meat has cooked well through on a sampled roll.

Serve either on dinner plates or in bowls.

As an option, leave out some lemon wedges for further citric flavoring if so desired. I found it to be just as good either way!

Bon Appetite!! :)

This is a GREAT appetizer!

TEXAS LIZARD EGGS

12 fresh Jalapeno peppers

2 lbs. Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage (regular or hot)

1 to 2 packages of cream cheese

Take the fresh Jalapeno peppers, cut of stems and split them end to end, making little "canoes" out of them. Clean out the centers, removing all the seeds and veins. Fill the canoes level with cream cheese. Take the breakfast sausage and make a "meatball" sized portion and flatten it out in your hand. Take the filled Jalapeno half and wrap or mold the breakfast sausage completely around it. Place of a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until sausage is brown. These are not hot, but you get the wonderful Jalapeno flavor. Let cool and enjoy!

Everyone will beg you to make these for every party!

This is an Appetizer! REVISED!

CAJUN BREAD

Frozen Dough Bread-3 loaves

1 Pound package of Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage (Hot) Browned

1 Pound of Ground Beef Browned

1 Pound of Pepper Jack Cheese

1 8oz Package of Cheddar Cheese

1/4 Cup of Chopped Jalapeno Peppers

Thaw bread dough and spread out each loaf. Fill with the ingredients above and roll up, putting seam side down. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 365 degrees, for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve while hot!

This is to die for!!

Toasted Coconut-Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie...The best ever :)

A long, slow bake time yields a deep-dish chocolate paradise

1 (15 oz) package refrigerated pie crusts

1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted

1 cup sugar

1 cup light corn syrup

4 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/4 tsp. salt

1 and 1/2 cups pecan halves

1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips or chunks

Unroll one piecrust and place on a lightly floured surface; lightly brush top of crust with water. Unroll remaining crust and place over bottom crust; gently roll into a 10 inch circle. Fit into a 9 inch pieplate according to package directions; fold edges under and crimp. Set aside.

Stir together butter and next five ingredients in a large bowl; stir well. Stir in pecans and remaining ingredients. Pour filling into piecrust.

Bake at 325 degrees for1 hour and 15 minutes or until set; shielding crust after 45 minutes with aluminum foil. Cool completely on a wire rack. Yield: 8 - 10 servings.