Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

RECIPE SECTION

DaveH

A friend of mine recently showed me how to take soft flour tortillas and put cheese in it, double over and fry each side in a 1/4 inch of veg. oil, until crispy. Take out of the frying pan, open it up and fill will sliced tomatoes, onion, ...whatever you desire.

Makes for a nice quick snack or meal on the go. You can slice up all the goodies in advance, and have everyone fill them to their on taste. Simple...the way I like it. :)

Black or pinto beans are good to add to the cheese also. And I use jalapenos by the bag full....be sure and put some of those in there also. 1/4 inch of veg oil is a lot....

Just need a little oil.....take it from a Texan........lol

OK, who is brave enough to make this for their next work potluck or family get-together???? ...I'm not!!- ugh!

Brave is right! laugh.gif We used to make "Dirt Cake" for our boys birthday cake and decorate it with gummie worms, and some people were grossed out by that! I can only imagine how folks would react to little tootsie rolls floating on top of their dessert! rolleyes.gif

I've used many of the recipes on this posting so far...and am really enjoying this section! Ok, let's get down to the basics...COMFORT FOODs....what are yours?

According to one article, here are American's top 25:

• Apple Pie

• Baked Beans

• Banana Pudding

• Beef Stew

• Brisket Pot Roast

• Chicken & Dumplings

• Chicken Pot Pie

• Chicken Soup

• Chili

• Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Corn on the Cob

• Fried Chicken

• Gelatin

• Green Bean Casserole

• Hot Dogs

• Ice Cream

• Macaroni & Cheese

• Mashed Potatoes

• Meatloaf

• Potato Salad

• Pumpkin Pie

• Shepherd's Pie

• Spaghetti

• Tomato Soup

• Tuna Casserole

http://homecooking.about.com/od/classicdishrecipes/a/comfortfoods.htm

I have two, one old and one relatively new. My old one is Pesto...with Mushrooms and Pine Nuts. My new one is a very tangy Cabbage Salad. Curious what the rest of you love to eat that makes you feel great! :)

Tiffany, in answer to your question about food I like to eat to feel good, here's my short list:

New York Kraut Dogs

Walnut Brownies

Sweet Potato withe Butter and Brown Sugar

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ham and Pineapples

Prime Rib with Outback Style Seasoning

Lasagna

(oh, I could go on!)

:D

snapback.pngQman, on 23 October 2010 - 03:20 PM, said:

OK, who is brave enough to make this for their next work potluck or family get-together???? ...I'm not!!- ugh!

I did make this Cat Litter Cake for my grandson's 8th birthday,(at our annual family reunion). It was fun and the kids loved it.

post-33839-132190236375_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Pecans are plentiful this year in my neck of the woods (middle Georgia). This receipe is a family favorite and makes for great gifts too!

SWEDISH PECANS

1 stick real butter

2 egg whites

1 cup sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

4 cups pecan halves (or big pieces)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a shallow baking pan (metal seems to work better than glass in this case) melt stick of butter in oven.

Beat egg whites to meringue consistency, gradually adding sugar and cinnamon. Fold in pecans making sure all are coated as much as possible with meringue. Pour in pan over melted butter. Bake for 15-20 minutes, remove and turn over pecans. Return to oven for another 10-15 minutes or until almost all pecans are a deep golden brown color. Remove and let cool completely. Break up clumps of pecan and enjoy! (Some of the pecans will still look white, not to worry they are delicious too)

• 2 weeks later...

Since holiday season is here, I'm going to share my favorite recipe which is called "Peaches refrigerator cake". This is very easy to prepare, all you need is:

1 box Graham crackers

1 can peaches

1 can condensed milk

1 can table cream

First, combine milk and cream and make sure they are evenly mixed, set aside or you may chill it for 30 mins. Next, make a base of grahams in a tray and put the mixed cream on top and decorate it with sliced peaches. Make 3 layers or more and chill.

• 1 month later...

I made this wonderfully tasty and vitamin rich soup from scratch last week on a really cold day up here in my home away from my Texas home, Iowa. I got the idea from a restaurant I frequent in Houston, "Los Ramirez".

CALDO DE POLLO (MEXICAN CHICKEN SOUP)

Ingredients:

1/2 medium cabbage, cut into wedges

1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts

water to cook chicken (just enough to cover the chicken)

2 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks

2 carrots, peeled and sliced

1 small chopped onion

3 cloves of garlic

1 zucchini, diced (optional)

1 celery stalk, cut into 1/2” to 3/4” slices

1 to 2 ears of corn, shucked and quartered

1 (14 1/2 oz.) can stewed tomatoes, undrained

salt and pepper to taste

Chicken broth as needed (optional)

2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped

1 cup white rice, cooked*

Directions:

Cook chicken over med heat in a covered large Dutch oven or pot until it is tender. Add enough water as needed to cover chicken.

When the chicken will come apart with a fork, add the carrots to the chicken and water.

Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, then add the rest of the vegetables (chicken broth or more water can be added if the soup becomes too full of the vegetables), cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender.

Add cilantro during the last 10 minutes of cooking.

* The cooked rice should be served in a separate medium-sized bowl for optional use.

Serve with salsa, hot sauce, sliced jalapenos, lime wedges, and corn or flour tortillas, if desired.

:P

• Upvote 1

Frogmore Stew

Ingredients

If you are from South Carolina, particularly the Low Country, you know this meal. It's best served by spreading newspaper on a picnic table and dumping it right on the table!

Ingredients

6 quarts water

3/4 cup Tony Chacheres Craw Fish and Crab Boil (available on there web site) or Old Bay Seasoning

2 pounds new red potatoes

2 pounds hot smoked sausage links, cut into 2 inch pieces

12 ears corn - husked, cleaned and quartered

4 pounds large fresh shrimp, unpeeled

Directions

Bring water and Tony Chacheres Craw Fish and Crab Boil or Old Bay Seasoning to boil in a large stockpot.

Add potatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Add sausage and cook for 5 minutes more. Add corn and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes. Drain immediately and serve.

Have this at family get togethers! I am now hungry, time to raid the fridge.

Frogmore Stew

Ingredients

If you are from South Carolina, particularly the Low Country, you know this meal. It's best served by spreading newspaper on a picnic table and dumping it right on the table!

Ingredients

6 quarts water

3/4 cup Tony Chacheres Craw Fish and Crab Boil (available on there web site) or Old Bay Seasoning

2 pounds new red potatoes

2 pounds hot smoked sausage links, cut into 2 inch pieces

12 ears corn - husked, cleaned and quartered

4 pounds large fresh shrimp, unpeeled

Directions

Bring water and Tony Chacheres Craw Fish and Crab Boil or Old Bay Seasoning to boil in a large stockpot.

Add potatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Add sausage and cook for 5 minutes more. Add corn and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the shrimp and cook until shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes. Drain immediately and serve.

Instead of sausages and shrimp, we use Crawdaddy's...................YUMMY !!!!tongue.gif

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my favorite soup, modeled after my lovely wife's recipe:

Cabbage Borsht (Russian Style)

Something a bit different for a mid-winter's day:

Ingredients

3 pounds bone-in chicken pieces or ground beef meatballs

1 gallon water

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup

1 tablespoon salt

1 large head cabbage, cored and shredded

3 large peeled and diced red potatoes

1 large carrot, diced

1 large onion, chopped

3 bay leaves

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 bunch chopped fresh dill

5 cloves of garlic

Optional:

Dob of sour cream to individual bowls.

1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes

Directions

Place chicken in a large pot of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook approximately 30 minutes. Remove from water, cool, and shred into bite-size pieces. Discard skin and bones.

or

Pre-cook ground beef meatballs (i.e. if chosen in place of chicken) in a skillet then drain, add during final simmer stage.

In a large stock pot, heat 1 gallon of water with tomato soup and salt. Bring to a low boil. Place cabbage, potatoes, carrot, onion, optional diced tomatoes, chicken/ground beef, and bay leaves into the pot. Cook at a low simmer until vegetables are tender, approximately 20 minutes. Add parsley and dill, taste and adjust seasoning with salt if needed, and then serve.

Have sour cream available for those who prefer a dob of it in their bowls with the borsht.

Enjoy!!

• Upvote 1

SAINT'S BEEF STEW

Serves about 6 people

I cook this about 6-8 times a winter season

I usually prep this the night before I plan to cook it

Large crock pot

Large stew pot

1 to 1 and a half pounds of beef tips

1 to 1 and a half pounds of pork loin

8- medium size potatoes ( your favorite will sufffice)

20 - baby carrots or 4 regular carrots

4 - stalks of celery

1 - whole onion large if you like onions or medium if not

2 - tablespoons of minced garlic or 2 cloves

3 - Tablespoons of beef base. I try and find some that is low in sodium. Try Tore's

Dice meat into 1 inch cubes and make sure you trim fat and gristle out as much as possible

Dice potatoes into about 1 inch sections, doesn't have to be perfect

Dice carrots, onion, and celery into about quarter inch pieces, no don't get the ruler out

Once you have all ingredients ready put them into a large crock pot.

Mix your beef base with 1 cup hot water and add to crock pot

Add enough water to barely cover all ingredients because as this cooks more juices will form

At this time I add my Parsly flakes, pepper, about 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, half teaspoon dried thyme and 3 bay leaves, do not add salt as the beef base is salty enough

Mix this in thouroughly and put in refrigerator overnight, next morning I take it out and set it on High and let it cook all day at least 8-10 hours. Usually I do this after I get up and when I get home it's almost ready

I then empty all from the crockpot and put it into a large stew pot and bring it to a boil. While waiting for it to boil I make ready my thickning agent

Using cold water , about two cups, I then add flour , all the while whipping vigorously, so as to not have it lumpy, it should be creamy and fairly thick. If you have big lumps in it you will have dumplings in your stew, not what you want

When the stew is boiling slowly pour the flour mix into the pot while stirring gently, don't want to mash all the vegetables, until the stew gets thick but not overly thick. If that happens just add more water, it's a knack as to the right proportion. Turn the stove down to simmer ant let it cook for about another hour or so. This gives the flour time to thicken a little more and cook. Turn off the stove and dish out.

I know this was long but this is for people who aren't kitchen savy.

Bon Appetit

• Upvote 1

To compliment a beef stew dinner try this easy dessert. It comes from Better Homes and Gardens Hometown Potluck Favorites.

Almond Squares

For 32 squares:

2 eggs

1 c. sugar

1 c. butter, melted

1 c. all purpose flour

half cup butter

half cup sugar

half cup sliced almonds

1 Tbs. all purpose flour

1 Tbs milk

1. Grease and lightly flour a 13x9x2 inch baking pan; set aside

2. For crust, in a medium mixing bowl beat eggs and the 1 cup sugar with an electric mixer

on medium speed about 8 minutes or until thick and lemon - colored. Stir in the 1 cup

melted butter and the 1 cup flour. Pour into prepared pan.

3. Bake in a 350 oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center

comes out clean and the edges begin to pull away from pan.

4. Meanwhile, for topping, in small saucepan combine the half cup butter, the half cup sugar,

the almonds, the 1 Tbs. flour, and the millk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture

comes to a boil.

5. Adjust oven rack so top of pan is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Spoon almond mixture over hot

crust. Broil about 1 minute or until golden , watching carefully to avoid burning. Cool in pan

on a wire rack. Cut iinto bars.

For 16 bars, halve all ingredients and use an 8x8x2 inch baking pan.

Why would anyone do this too much math I do the whole recipe.

147 calories per bar.

Enjoy

Strawberry Cheesecake / makes two pies

Items needed:

4 - 8oz. cream cheese

4 - eggs

3 -Tbsp flour

3 - cans strawberry pie filling

2 - deep dish grahm cracker pie crust

1 - 8oz. tub sourcream

1 - Tbsp vanilla

1 - cup sugar

Directions:

Place 2 cans strawberry pie filling in refrigerator

Preheat oven @450

cream cheese must be room temperture, mix cream cheese - eggs - flour- vanilla - sugar - sourcream and 1 can strawberry pie filling in large bowl. Pour into pie crusts (save clear plastic covers from pie crusts) bake for 10 minutes @450, then turn oven down to 250 and bake for 1 hour. Place on cooling rack till room temperture then place in refrigerator overnight(8-12 hours) to settle. Pour 1 can strawberry pie filling on to 1 pie and repeat for 2nd pie.

Pie stays fresh for four days, you can NOT freeze this pie. Enjoy! Everytime I make it, I get in trouble at work or w/hubby bc people want more.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Dessert : Sex in the pan :)

1 cup pecan or almonds, chopped

1 cup flour

3 tbsp sugar

1/2 cut butter

Mix together and press into greased 9x16 baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 15-25 minutes. Let cool :)

Beat together :)

8 oz (250 gr) cream cheese

1 cup powdered sugar

1/2 tub large cool whip

Spread cream cheese mixture over cooled crust

Whip together

1 cup milk and

1 pkg chocolate instant pudding

1 cup milk and

1 pkg vanilla instant pudding

This can either be layered or mixed together

Spread over cream cheese mixture

Ice with remainder of cool whip

Shave chocolate and crushed peanut brittle for garnish

Keep refrigerated until served

** Sometimes, I also put crushed butter finger on top

Enjoy :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I know I have waited FAR too long, but here I am FINALLY ready to share some of my favorite recipes! Enjoy!

2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

3 teaspoons ground cinnamon (Recipe was originally 1 1/2 tsp but I couldn't taste the cinnamon)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup water

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup butter or margarine

1/4 cup baking cocoa

2 eggs

1/2 cup buttermilk (can easily substitute 1 c milk and 1 TBSP white vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes and measure to half a cup)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon baking soda

FROSTING:

1/3 cup whipping cream

1/4 cup baking cocoa

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

3 cups confectioners' sugar

1 cup finely chopped walnuts (I am allergic to walnuts, so I use chopped almonds or cashews! YUM)

In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients, then add the wet and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan (2 round cake pans work fine too). Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. For Frosting, combine the butter, cream, cocoa and cinnamon in a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is heated through. Remove from the heat; beat in sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in nuts. (or you can get betty pillsbury to do the work for you. I haven't noticed a big difference)

• Upvote 1

Ok guys, I know I have waited FAR too long, but here I am FINALLY ready to share some of my favorite recipes! Enjoy!

2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

3 teaspoons ground cinnamon (Recipe was originally 1 1/2 tsp but I couldn't taste the cinnamon)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup water

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup baking cocoa

2 eggs

1/2 cup buttermilk (can easily substitute 1 c milk and 1 TBSP white vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes and measure to half a cup)

1 teaspoon baking soda

FROSTING:

1/3 cup whipping cream

1/4 cup baking cocoa

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

3 cups confectioners' sugar

1 cup finely chopped walnuts (I am allergic to walnuts, so I use chopped almonds or cashews! YUM)

In a mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients, then add the wet and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan (2 round cake pans work fine too). Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. For Frosting, combine the butter, cream, cocoa and cinnamon in a saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is heated through. Remove from the heat; beat in sugar and vanilla until smooth. Stir in nuts. (or you can get betty pillsbury to do the work for you. I haven't noticed a big difference)

sounds delicious...dont care for nuts but love cashews...especially chocolate covered cashews....have to try this...what the heck only calories....yes...laugh.giflaugh.gif

Pumpkin Crisp

Absolutely awesome

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix

1 egg

1/2 cup butter, melted

1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree

2 eggs

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 cup white sugar

2/3 cup evaporated milk

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup butter, softened

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Set aside 1 cup cake mix for the topping. Combine remaining cake mix, 1 egg, and melted butter or margarine. Pat into a 9x13 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, mix pumpkin, 2 eggs, spices, 1/2 cup sugar, and milk. Pour pumpkin mixture over the cake mix crust.

In a small bowl, combine 1 cup cake mix and 3/4 cup sugar. Cut in 1/2 cup softened butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle mixture on top of pumpkin mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 55 minutes.