Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

RECIPE SECTION

DaveH

margarita_1367598821.jpg

Iced Margaritas

1/2 cup coarse salt
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 4 limes' worth), plus more for garnish
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1 cup triple sec
1 cup white tequila

1. Pour the salt onto a small plate. Rub the outside rim of each glass with the cut lime. Dip each glass into the reserved salt; set aside.
2. Place lime juice, lemon juice, triple sec, and 3 cups ice in a blender, and puree on low speed until completely blended. Add tequila and blend for 2 seconds. Pour margaritas into the reserved glasses, over ice, and serve immediately.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 12

Jalapeno poppers

what you will need

use as many jalapeno's as needed

bag of chedder cheese small cuts

1 to 2 packs of hickory or brown sugar hickory bacon (thin sliced) to wrap with

box of tooth picks (round)

grill

cut in half long ways and hull out the complete insides leaving just the shell

leave a few seeds if you like heat

wash in sink good with cool water (might want to use surgeon gloves in process)

the seeds will burn your hands and the fumes will cause you to cough

after this process

take cheese and stuff in jalapeno half's then wrap with bacon of your choice

after each jalapeno is wrapped fully to keep cheese in with cooking

use a tooth pick and punch it through to hold bacon in place

put them on the grill and keep turning them so what cheese does come out will not burn

cook until bacon is golden brown

serve hot and keep warm

I love these things

they are great for grill out parties

• Upvote 2

Just had someone remind me of one of my favorite dishes I discovered while in Iraq.  Dolma is stuffed grape leaves - although I also had it as stuffed eggplant (which was also good).  A friend of mine married a Turkish woman, and this is her recipe.  Not super difficult, but not an easy dish either.  Definitley worth the effort though.

3 cups of long-grain rice

¾ tablespoon of allspice (ground)

1 lb of finely minced lamb (I have also used turkey)

½ teaspoon of ground pepper

1 cup of tomato sauce

2 cloves of garlic (minced)

1 lb of grape leaves (canned or raw)

4 tbs of butter

salt as desired

large diced onion

Chicken Stock

2 lemons

Prepare the leaves. If   Around here I can only find the canned grape leaves.  If that's what you have then just go to preparing the filling.

To prepare raw grape leaves, bring half a gallon of water with about a table spoon of salt to a boil. Put the grape leaves in the boiling water for about 15 min. Take them out carefully, put in a cold-water bath, and let soak.

Prepare filling. In a mixing bowl, mix together the rice, tomato paste, allspice, black pepper, garlic, meat, onion, and 1/4 cup of chicken stock. Mix until all the ingredients are well blended.

Fill the grape leaf. Take a heaping teaspoon of the mix and put it on the middle of the grape leaf. Then, spread the mix evenly over the leaf . Remember to leave about 1/4 inch space from the edges of the leaf.  Start to roll from the stem end of the leaf. After a good start ro the roll  tuck in the sides toward the center. Keep rolling until you have a completed roll of a grape leaf (just like a cabbage roll.) Lay the rolled grape leaves in a pot. Lay them close to each other but don't smash them in together. Leave a little room for expansion.

Cook. Pour about 2 cups of chicken stock in the pot (should almost cover the rolls). Then, spread the butter evenly on the top of grape leaves. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn to a medium-high heat.  More than just a simmer. (might take some experimenting here - I know it did for me - and burned grape leaves taste NASTY)  The  cooking time depends on the stove and the material of the pot. Usually cooking time is about one hour  to an hour and fifteen minutes after the mix has come to a boil. Check from time to time, and don't boil the pan dry, Let stand uncovered for about 10 minutes. This lets the leaves firm up a bit so they don't totally fall apart as you try to spoon them out of the pan.

Dolma are best served hot.  I like them plain, but my daughters like to dip them in Ranch, or if I'm feeling adventerous, in my tzatsiki sauce.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tank,

Sounds good.. wondering if I can use the filling and fill green peppers.. and make stuffed peppers.. improvise lol

You sure can - When I was over there I had it in eggplant and it was just as good.  Also saw it as stuffed tomatoes.  I've thought about using either cabbage or kale leaves, just haven't tried it yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Jalapeno poppers

what you will need

use as many jalapeno's as needed

bag of chedder cheese small cuts

1 to 2 packs of hickory or brown sugar hickory bacon (thin sliced) to wrap with

box of tooth picks (round)

grill

cut in half long ways and hull out the complete insides leaving just the shell

leave a few seeds if you like heat

wash in sink good with cool water (might want to use surgeon gloves in process)

the seeds will burn your hands and the fumes will cause you to cough

after this process

take cheese and stuff in jalapeno half's then wrap with bacon of your choice

after each jalapeno is wrapped fully to keep cheese in with cooking

use a tooth pick and punch it through to hold bacon in place

put them on the grill and keep turning them so what cheese does come out will not burn

cook until bacon is golden brown

serve hot and keep warm

I love these things

they are great for grill out parties

Heavy, I love these, I make these all the time, very delicious and mighty hot, I can only handle one.   MSN-Emoticon-hot-023.gif

Tank will definitely give your recipe a try.  Sounds yummy. 

EK0404_five-layer-mexican-dip_s4x3_lg.jp

Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo
4 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups corn kernels (10-ounce box frozen corn)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
2 ripe avocados
4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion
1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeno pepper, optional
3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar
Directions
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.

Put half of the onion mixture into a food processor with the black beans, chipotle pepper, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, cumin, water and salt. Puree until smooth. Set aside.

Add the corn to the skillet with the remaining onion mixture and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro leaves.

In a small bowl mash the avocado with the remaining lime juice. In a medium bowl toss together the tomatoes, scallion and jalapeno, if using. Season tomato mixture with salt and pepper, to taste.

Spread the black bean dip into the bottom of an 8 by 8 glass baking or serving dish. Top with the corn mixture, spreading it out to form a single layer over the beans, repeat with the avocado, then the tomatoes. Top with cheese. Serve with baked chips.

Per Serving:

Calories 140; Total Fat 8 g; (Sat Fat 2 g, Mono Fat 3 g, Poly Fat 0.7 g) ; Protein 5g; Carb 16 g; Fiber 5g; Cholesterol 6mg; Sodium 245 mg

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/five-layer-mexican-dip-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

• 2 months later...

Low Glycemic Chocolate Sauce!!!

This has the flavor of the Hershey's Special Dark chocolate.

This stuff is just fantastic!  You can also refrigerate it and it makes a good chocolate bar!  On top of that, is super simple to make

1/2 cup Coconut Oil

1/2 cup Honey (don't use Agave nectar)

1 heaping cup Cocoa powder

Place the coconut oil in a metal bowl over a pot of slow boiling water in order to melt it. As soon as it is melted, turn off the water, but leave the bowl the pan.  Add the honey an stir.  The heat should help to mix the honey and the cocounut oil.

Add the cocoa powder and stir  until everything is moistened. 

If you wish you us this as a sauce (great over froyo - kind of like Magic Shell - turns into a hard chocolate coating!) simply cover or put into a covered container.  Does not need to be refrigerated and will keep for a week or more.

If you want to use it as a bar , oil a 6 X 8 pan (I recommend using some more coconut oil) and pour into the pan, place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge and cut into the size of bars you would like, then dip the pan in hot water for about 30 seconds and the bars will come right out.

You can also add something to the bars for crunch if you like. I added sunflower seeds, have had pumpkin seeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Food safety experts from Drexel say washing poultry can cause cross contamination.

Food safety experts at Drexel University say perhaps as many as 90 percent of us are prepping our chicken for cooking the wrong way.

You know how it goes: Take the chicken out of the plastic wrap, go directly to the sink and wash the bacteria down the drain.

That's wrong, all wrong, says food microbiologist Jennifer Quinlan.

Don't wash chicken at all, she says.

"The reality is the water is hitting the chicken," Quinlan said. "Much is going down (the drain) but then you have what is called aerosolization -- an invisible spray that's going to potentially carry that bacteria for a foot or two feet."

In focus groups and surveys with everyday cooks, the research team found that lots of us think we're doing the right thing.

"Everybody had a unique way of doing it," Quinlan said. "Some people just rinsed it in the sink. Some people rinsed it with vinegar water or lemon water with the idea that it kills all the bacteria."

It doesn't.

Washing poultry creates big risks for cross contamination. Quinlan and colleagues developed a disturbing graphic called "germ vision" to show how chicken water — carrying salmonella -- can splash on to clean dishes by the sink or slosh into raw vegetables waiting on the counter.

"There's no benefit," Quinlan said. "You aren't killing the bacteria with the washing, and the cooking is killing anything that was on there to begin with."

Drexel's food-safety campaign includes how-to videos, short skits and some campy music that shatter the myths about washing poultry.

Quinlan said old habits are hard to break and this news is the beginning of a long conversation about food safety. But, she said, there's a plus: Not washing chicken actually saves a step and is safer.

She's hoping that Americans will adopt this new way of doing things the same way many of us now use a thermometer to check the temperature of meat.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has been highlighting its advice against washing chicken since at least 2005.

Sorry about that.  Hit the enter button to quickly.

Strawberry Pie

1 graham cracker pie crust

1 small box strawberry jello

1 12oz can of Sprite

2 cups sweetened sliced strawberries (fresh is better, but frozen will work)

1/4 cup water

1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch

In a saucepan, combine Sprite and jello.  Cook until jello disolves.  In a separate bowl add water and cornstarch, blending until smooth.  Add to Jello and sprite.  Cook until clear, stirring constantly.  Add strawberries, coating well with mixture.  Pour into pie crust and chill for 2 hours.  Garnish with whipping cream.

(You can substitue raspberries and raspberry jello)

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

Kia, I made the pie using the raspberry jello, and frozen raspberries.  It was awesomely good!  The only thing I found I needed to change was to use 3/4 Tbsp. cornstarch due to the consistency of the raspberries.  But other than that it was the same as the strawberry pie.

Edited by sammyque
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Bumper this thread is GREAT!!! I came back to find a recipe that I want to try out for our Thanksgiving dinner.

Thank You For Starting This... so many good recipes here I am just starving now :D

Here is my humble little contribution... but I must say they are always a hit when I take them to parties. :)

EASY PEAZY STUFFED MUSHROOMS

1 regular size package Hot Jimmy Dean Sausage (crumbled, cooked with the grease drained off)

1 regular size package cream cheese (softened)

Mix together in a bowl and stuff the mushrooms (stems removed) with teaspoon until full and heaped up a bit

Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes until mixture is nicely browned on top

Remove to a lettuce covered platter and place colored toothpicks in each one... makes them easy to eat and adds a festive touch

Maggie's *TIPS after years of making these... :)

*medium to small mushrooms make a better bite size... you can cut a small slice off the bottom of the ones that tip over.

*place the toothpicks at a slant because they slip off if you put them in straight.

• 3 weeks later...

Mounds Cake*

1 box devils food cake

6 oz. coco lopez (cream of coconut)

1 can Eagles brand sweetened condensed milk

1 large tub cool whip

1 bag frozen coconut

Bake cake according to directions on box in a sheet pan.  Mix coco lopez and condensed milk together.  While cake is still warm, poke holes all over cake and pour milk and coco lopez mixture over all of cake.  Chill over nite.  Cover entire cake with cool whip, then layer frozen coconut over top of cool whip.

*If you like Mounds candy bars you will love this cake. ENJOY!

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think I'm going to try making this on the weekend. It's a long weekend in Canada for some provinces...

It says it serves 2.  OK...me and the dog. :D

S’mores dip: A camping treat without the campfire pit

smores-dip-6.jpg

S'mores dip (no campfire needed)
Serves 2
A camping treat without the campfire pit!

Write a review
Print
Prep Time
2 min
Cook Time
8 min
Total Time
10 min
Ingredients
  1. 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  2. 8 large marshmallows; cut in half
  3. Graham crackers for dipping
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
  2. In a small cast iron skillet, put chocolate chips in an even layer.
  3. Arrange the marshmallows on top of the chocolate.
  4. Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes, until marshmallows are lightly browned.
  5. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
  6. Serve with graham crackers for dipping.
Notes
  1. Skillet will be hot!
  2. You may use mini marshmallows as an alternative.

• 3 months later...

Banana Bread,

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifclear.gif
 This IS good!!!

(1 loaf)  

1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup shortening
2 Eggs
1 1/4 Cup Mashed bananas (ripe)
1 1/4 Cups flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Soda
1/2 Cup chopped nuts ( walnuts or pecans)

Cream sugar and shortening.  Add eggs and banana's.  Mix well.  Stir in flour and nuts, salt and soda until blended thoroughly.  Bake 1 Hour in 9 X 5 inch greased and floured loaf pan at 350'. Insert toothpick in center to ensure done in the middle. Cool in pan 10-15 minutes, then invert on wire rack to cool.   

CINNAMON CRUMB TOPPING

1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
1/2 Cup Flour
4 TBSP butter melted
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
pinch of salt.       
Make the crumb topping by combining powdered sugar, flour, cinnamon & salt and melted butter.  Fork works well until all crumbled.  Using your hands, crumble the mixture over the top of banana bread before baking.  

** I usually double recipe to make two loafs at a time.  Nuts are optional.  The crumb topping can go on top of any of your favorite banana bread recipes.  Enjoy!  

Ma

Edited by moose 57

• 4 months later...