Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Gold Cubic Volume

Norm Walker

Ali at Dinar Trade Inc is offering people the option to trade in Dinar for Gold if that is something you would like to do. I am attempting to do the math to figure out how many safety deposit boxes I would need if I were to purchase $1,000,000 in gold. I am 32 and just cannot remember all the math to figure this out. Last time I did geometry was 9th grade!!

Here is the simple math at yesterdays gold price.

$1,000,000 in gold would be aproximately 769 oz of Gold Bullion

Looking at this website a kilo or 35 ounces of gold has dimmensions of

80 mm long

40 mm wide

18 mm tall

This equals a cubic volume of 57,600 milimeters or 3.515 cubic inches according to Wolfram Alpha.

My question is I am trying to remember how to do the math to figure out how many cubic inches we are talking for that presumed million dollars of gold or 769 oz. Anybody have any ideas? Once I know how many cubic inches it is I can do the easy math to figure out how many 10X10X10 in. safety deposit boxes I need.

Edited by Norm Walker

Just my thoughts... but I would think if the Dinar RV's prices on Metals such as Gold,Silver,Copper etc would drop significantly? So you might need more safe deposit boxes than your current calculation if this does happen because you shold be able to buy Gold for instance at a significantly lower price..

Not sure just thinking out loud....

GOOO RV!!! :lol:

Norm, you're only talking about 50 pounds of gold. It will probably fit in one box. But don't forget, even with an exchange to gold, my understanding is that you will pay taxes on this event. Be sure and check that out with a tax attorney, or at least a CPA that's familiar with foreign currency exchange transactions. Hope this helps. God bless, and go RV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Norm. You might want to think more about the weight of gold than the volume. I dont know if I can be of much help to you, as I dont seem to remember the weight per volume of gold right now, but at a size of 10X10X10, I am pretty sure it might put quite a strain on your safety deposit box. Getting Old Is Not For Sissies! I think thats how it goes.

• Upvote 1

I am not trading into gold to avoid taxes, mostly to make things easier. I agree PeoplesChamp that prices of gold will probably drop and plan to wait a while to make this trade.

I thought this math problem would be easy enough but I am having trouble take the 3.515 cubic inches and getting that to translate over to the 769 ounces properly. I keep coming up with 76 cubic inches which cannot be right that would be way too much gold. It shoudl be much smaller then that.

NW

Just my thoughts... but I would think if the Dinar RV's prices on Metals such as Gold,Silver,Copper etc would drop significantly? So you might need more safe deposit boxes than your current calculation if this does happen because you shold be able to buy Gold for instance at a significantly lower price..

Not sure just thinking out loud....

GOOO RV!!! :lol:

You're right but it won't happen over night, gold may take a few months to fall and that may depend on how high the Dinar RV's. I would not consider a safety deposit box becuase our government is known for taking away gold bullion from everyone many years ago, even those who had safety deposit boxes.

• Upvote 2

Also if I remember correctly gold is measure in Troy onces and it take 12 troy once for a pound, not 16.

You are correct with this statement. Also, as some have stated, they should be concerned with weight before area, as that is guaranteed to play a part. Also with the price being at an all time high, I would suggest you consider the "Buy high, sell low" scenario, as I agree with some posts saying it will drop in value.

These are just my thoughts I thought I would share, I am glad you are really trying to be prepared for the RV, its all good.

pp

• Upvote 1

Hello Norm. I'm back to try to help you with your question. The amount of gold will be dependent upon the price at your buy time. One cubic foot = 1/2 ton. Your question involves 796 oz. 12 oz = 1 pound = 373.24 grams. With your weight of 796 oz X 10.17886 troy ounce per cubic inch = 10.7886 into 796= 78.201291 cubic inches. 1 cuic inch = 16.387064 cubic centimeters. I hope this helps, let me know what you think. Grandpa Dave

• Upvote 1

http://www.blanchardonline.com/blanchard_products/bullion_gold_bars.php?content=18668274312&gclid=CNaU9vyaraQCFUfX5wodSSDHag

Call these people when you have the $1mil and they will be glad to help you... Gold value is usually within 20% of the 200 day moving average. It is within 7-8% today. It tracks the S&P500 200 day moving average in the same way.. Gold should be ~$2046 oz based on the current value of the dollar. Gold luck to us all...

I googled both these sites and here is another site giving dimensions.

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/goldbardimensions.html

Typical Gold Bar Dimensions

All dimensions are in millimetres. To convert to inches, divide by 24.

Weight Length Width Depth

400 Ounce 200 80 45

1 Kilo 80 40 18

500 Grams 65 32 14

250 Grams 55 25 10

100 Grams 55 1 3

50 Grams 45 25 2.3

1 Ounce 42 24 2

20 Grams 39 22 1.3

10 Grams 31 18 1

5 Grams 23 14 0.7

1 Gram 15 8 0.4

Edited by Charlie Echo
  • Upvote 1

Ali at Dinar Trade Inc is offering people the option to trade in Dinar for Gold if that is something you would like to do. I am attempting to do the math to figure out how many safety deposit boxes I would need if I were to purchase $1,000,000 in gold. I am 32 and just cannot remember all the math to figure this out. Last time I did geometry was 9th grade!!

80 mm long

40 mm wide

18 mm tall

This equals a cubic volume of 57,600 milimeters or 3.515 cubic inches according to Wolfram Alpha.

My question is I am trying to remember how to do the math to figure out how many cubic inches we are talking for that presumed million dollars of gold or 769 oz. Anybody have any ideas? Once I know how many cubic inches it is I can do the easy math to figure out how many 10X10X10 in. safety deposit boxes I need.

I went to Home Depot to buy a safe when I got my dinar, and to put miscellaneous cash in. . Mine is only 3x3x3, but when I was there they had much bigger safes. My safe is pretty heavy for a smaller one, and it would take at least two people to lift it and carry it out(I am not worried). The bigger ones would need a fork-lift( I don't even know if a dolly would be able to lift them), so I would just put gold in there. But that' just me.

Edited by hspotman
  • Upvote 1

It's just my opinion, but I would advise against storing gold or any other item that carries measurable value in safe deposit boxes. In times of emergency, the US Treasury has the right to confiscate gold on depposit in any bank. Also, any gold coins dated after 1933 and silver coins dated after 1934 are confiscatable, as are bullion bars. I would encourage you to follow some of Adam's advice in his book, which is still available for purchase at http://www.rvintel.com/.

Aside from the confiscation issue, there is also an access issue. In the event that there is another bank collapse, banks will be closed to prevent what happened in the 1930s.

Again, just my opinion. Sorry I didn't address your math question, but to me it's a moot point given my response.

I think Gold is going to be a wise investment down the road. The weakening of our dollar and the potential for the housing market to continue to slide makes me want to have something secure.

The more I think about it the more I want to take possesion of my gold. I will probably bury it in the back yard or out in the woods. Just myself, so no one else knows where it is. Then I will leave a letter with my attorney or somethign incase I croak.

NW

80 mm long

40 mm wide

18 mm tall

I am a coin investor and you will need a box to hold about 750

1 ounce coins. They will all fit in a medium size shoe box.

• Upvote 3

It's just my opinion, but I would advise against storing gold or any other item that carries measurable value in safe deposit boxes. In times of emergency, the US Treasury has the right to confiscate gold on depposit in any bank. Also, any gold coins dated after 1933 and silver coins dated after 1934 are confiscatable, as are bullion bars. I would encourage you to follow some of Adam's advice in his book, which is still available for purchase at http://www.rvintel.com/.

Aside from the confiscation issue, there is also an access issue. In the event that there is another bank collapse, banks will be closed to prevent what happened in the 1930s.

Again, just my opinion. Sorry I didn't address your math question, but to me it's a moot point given my response.

Where did you get this info? They outlawed gold during the depression, but so many coins were never turned in. And the Treasury paid people for the gold, it was not just taken away and confiscated. Gold coins were not minted again until 1985 when they passed the Bullion Coin Act of 1985. American Gold Eagles were minted at this time, and allowed to be part of investments plans like IRA's. And why would silver coins ONLY after 1934 be able to be recalled? 90% silver was in coins before 1934 and all the way until 1964. Silver was never affected by the Gold Reserve Act.

Want to avoid any government re-possession (which there is none planned, no matter what the internet says), don't buy American Eagle coins. AGE's carry a $50 face value, and technically as with any currency could be recalled and bought back at that face value. Go with Pandas, Maples, or Suisse Credit bars. They are NOT American bullion and untouchable.

Edited by Deathmonkey

• 1 month later...

Also if I remember correctly gold is measure in Troy onces and it take 12 troy once for a pound, not 16.

There are 12 troy ounces (troy oz.) in a *troy* pound. (In fact, the Pound Sterling was 12 troy ounces of "sterling" silver metal, i.e. 92.5% pure for British Sterling.)

There are 16 avoirdupois ounces (oz.) in an avoirdupois pound (lb). This is the ounce/pound with which most Americans are familiar.

An avoirdupois ounce is 437.5 grains, and a troy ounce is 480 grains, so an avoirdupois pound is 7000 grains, and a troy pound is 5760 grains.

A troy ounce is 480 grains / 437.5 grains per avoirdupois ounce = 1.097142857 avoirdupois ounces.

A kilogram (kg) is 2.20462262 avoirdupois pounds, or 15,432.35834 grains.

A troy ounce is 0.031103476826 kilograms, or 31.103476826 grams (g).

An inch (in) is 2.54 centimeters (cm). A cubic inch (in3) is 16.387064 cubic centimeters (cc, or cm3).

The density of pure gold is 19.3 grams per cubic centimeter.

So, putting all this together:

1 troy ounce of pure gold, times 31.103476826 grams/troy oz. = 31.103476826 grams of pure gold.

31.103476826 grams of pure gold, divided by 19.3 grams per cc = 1.61157911016 cubic centimeters of pure gold.

1.61157911016 cc of pure gold, divided by 16.387064 cc per cubic inch = .098344591207 cubic inches of pure gold

1 cubic inch of pure gold, divided by .098344591207 cubic inches per troy oz. = 10.168327386 troy ounces of gold per cubic inch.

So, at a spot price of FRN$1360 per troy ounce, FRN$1M of pure gold would be 735.2941176 troy ounces of pure gold.

735.2941176 troy oz. of pure gold per FRN$1M, divided by 10.168327386 troy ounces pure gold per cubic inch = 72.312199414 cubic inches per FRN$1M.

735.2941176 troy oz. of pure gold * 1.097142857 avoirdupois ounces per troy oz. = 806.722689024 avoirdupois oz. of pure gold.

806.722689024 avoirdupois oz. of pure gold divided by 16 avoirdupois oz. per avoirdupois pound (lb) = 50.42 lbs. of pure gold, at spot gold FRN$1360.

1 oz. gold American Eagle coins are 22 karat (kt), or 22/24 pure, or 91.67% gold, alloyed with 3% silver and 5.33% copper. They are thus actually a bit heavier than 1 troy ounce (1.0909 troy oz.), and I'm not a metallurgist, but I would imagine slightly less dense (i.e. more voluminous per unit weight) than pure gold.

They are 32.7 mm in diameter, and 2.87 mm thick, and come in tubes of 20 coins, and in "monster" boxes of 25 tubes (500 coins).

The tubes are thus slightly larger than 3.27 cm x 3.27 cm x (20 x .287 cm = 5.74 cm).

I can't find exact dimensions for the tubes, but let's ballpark it at 3.7 cm x 3.7 cm x 6.3 cm. This works out to 1.45 in x 1.45 in x 2.48 in.

1.45 in x 1.45 in x 2.48 in = ~5.2 cubic inches per tube of 20 coins.

At a 6% premium over spot (e.g. as mentioned by Ali in this interview: ), each coin would be FRN$1360 x 1.06 = FRN$1441.60 per coin.

FRN$1M divided by FRN$1441.60 per coin = 693.674 -> 694 coins.

694 coins times 1.0909 troy oz. weight per coin = 757.0846 troy oz.

757.0846 troy oz. times 1.097142857 avoirdupois ounces per troy oz. = 830.629961035 avoirdupois ounces

830.629961035 avoirdupois ounces divided by 16 avoirdupois oz. per avoirdupois pound (lb) = 51.91 lbs. of gold American Eagle coins.

694 coins divided by 20 coins/tube -> 35 tubes.

35 tubes times 5.2 cubic inches per tube = 182 cubic inches.

5 tubes by 7 tubes ~ (5 x 1.45 in) x (7 x 1.45 in) x 2.48 in = 7.25 in x 10.15 in x 2.48 in -- the size of a thick textbook.

Add, say, 1 pound for the 35 tubes, and you get about 53 pounds, exactly what Ali said in the interview.

save your self alot of time and trouble. I understand that you may want to know the equation for personal use later. but , if you call gold silver.com they will tell you exactly what size you need and can probaly supplie you with the equation as to how they caculate the size. hope this helps. good luck on your endevor.

• 3 weeks later...