Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

New Goverment?

Qman

Has anyone else noticed that Maliki has been completely out of sight ever since his alleged fainting spell/coma? No interviews, and barely mentioned in the press. Allawi and Mahdi have been front and center, which makes me think something's up with Maliki and the government formation is most likely close at hand - IMHO.

Go RV!! :)

• Upvote 1

It's always difficult to gain any definitive information from the Iraqi media because there is so much contradictory information from their many news sources. It IS interesting however, that there is no new news today (Sunday). This is the first day of their new week, and new stuff always comes out. I think it's also the last day of their big holiday, so that might explain the lack of news.

That being said, given their track record of the past 6 months, I'd be shocked to find that anything substantive had occurred regarding the formation of their government.

Deadlines mean nothing to Iraqis and Arabs in general. I think we may have rid the Iraqis of a dictator only to be replaced by another dictator. I am beginning to think the status quo is perfectly ok. They hate each other more than they hate us infidels. The differences between the Shiites and Sunnis is similar to the differences between the Methodists and the Baptists. Same God, same Christian principals, just a slight difference in how you conduct the worship service. I think Shiites don't like the way Sunnis hold their hands during prayer, or vice versa, as well as other small things. They kill each other over the differences and have for hundreds of years.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Deadlines mean nothing to Iraqis and Arabs in general. I think we may have rid the Iraqis of a dictator only to be replaced by another dictator. I am beginning to think the status quo is perfectly ok. They hate each other more than they hate us infidels. The differences between the Shiites and Sunnis is similar to the differences between the Methodists and the Baptists. Same God, same Christian principals, just a slight difference in how you conduct the worship service. I think Shiites don't like the way Sunnis hold their hands during prayer, or vice versa, as well as other small things. They kill each other over the differences and have for hundreds of years.

That is a horrible simplification of the Sunni/Shiite split, and has nothing to do with reality. Here is the truth:

"The Sunni branch believes that the first four caliphs--Mohammed's successors--rightfully took his place as the leaders of Muslims. They recognize the heirs of the four caliphs as legitimate religious leaders. These heirs ruled continuously in the Arab world until the break-up of the Ottoman Empire following the end of the First World War.

Shiites, in contrast, believe that only the heirs of the fourth caliph, Ali, are the legitimate successors of Mohammed. In 931 the Twelfth Imam disappeared. This was a seminal event in the history of Shiite Muslims. According to R. Scott Appleby, a professor of history at the University of Notre Dame, "Shiite Muslims, who are concentrated in Iran, Iraq, and Lebanon, [believe they] had suffered the loss of divinely guided political leadership" at the time of the Imam's disappearance. Not "until the ascendancy of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini in 1978" did they believe that they had once again begun to live under the authority of a legitimate religious figure."

LINK - http://hnn.us/articles/934.html

• Upvote 1

it will form once the un realizes that these people are a bumch of lying theiving selffish morans and they take control and put things in place .if the iraqi people voted again today most if not all these idiots would be out of a job and allawi would be in

Wow, tell us what you really think.....How much more insulting can a person be. "bunch of lying theiving selfish morans". Perhaps it is you who is the selfish one and a moran for showing it....

• Upvote 2