Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Earthquakes In/Near Canton, North Carolina.

Smokey Mtn. Dinar

[b]Three earthquakes confirmed in western North Carolina[/b]

A magnitude 2.4 earthquake has been reported near Canton, NC, near the location of another quake on Tuesday
By Freeman Stoddard

Published: May. 25, 2023 at 6:56 PM EDT|Updated: 8 hours ago

CANTON, N.C. (FOX Carolina) - The U.S. Geological Survey announced that three more earthquakes were reported near Asheville, North Carolina, Thursday night.
The first earthquake, 2.2-magnitude, was reported around 5:16 p.m. Its epicenter was 2.5 miles north of West Canton.
Officials said the second earthquake happened around 5:30 p.m. and had an epicenter 13.8 miles northwest of Asheville. According to officials, the earthquake had a 3.1 magnitude and a depth of 0 km.
The third was a 1.8-magnitude quake at 10:19 p.m. approximately three miles north of West Canton.
These earthquakes come days after another one was reported nearby in the Canton area.

Copyright 2023 WHNS. All rights reserved.
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

This is very close to where I live. In fact, the FIRST quake actually happened Tuesday evening.  My husband and I "heard" it, instead of feeling it. 

The Canton mayor hit the nail on the head on Wednesday morning, when talking to a reporter.  He said it is GOD's revenge. I agree. A lot of heartbreak is happening here in the area where this is.  At noon on Wednesday the Noon Whistle blew for the last time at the paper mill in Canton.  It is closing after 115 years!  They let it blow for a full 5 minutes that day.  Then all the churches in Canton rang there bells 115 times. The crowd in town, and the thousands watching it live on our local TV station was a whole "family" coming together. 

Many, many people have worked there.  My father-in-law worked there, as did his father.  Also several of his brothers, and nephews.   My son worked there until about a month before the shut down announcement was made.  One of my sisters, her husband works there. It truly is the life blood of this county.   

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Pow! 1

Well, in my opinion, as well as many others, it is all about money.  Many suspect that once the mill completely closes, and all things related to the current mill, are finalized, the company that is buying it out, will most likely try to re-open it.  They might be in for a big surprise.  Everyone around here knows that the mill was the best paying job around, for many years.  And with the way things are going, they might have an up hill battle to re-open it.  

Here in western NC,  there are some fault lines, but I had never heard of this one, and it is very close to where I live.  I need to call my sister, whose husband works in the mill, and ask her if her husbands' parents had any damage from the first quake. It was centered very close to them. They live on the mountain where the first quake was centered.   And they live approximately 5 miles from me. 

I don't think we are on that fault. We have some fault lines that run through this area, but I'm not sure which one this one is.

Edited by Smokey Mtn. Dinar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

We had ANOTHER earthquake this morning! (Sunday June 4th) .  This was the worst one yet! It was a 3.2.😮     I heard it.  My husband both felt it and heard it!  It was around 6:09 this morning.  

WEST CANTON, N.C. —

A 3.2 magnitude earthquake was reported near Asheville, North Carolina early Sunday morning, according to the United States Geological Survey.

It happened around 6:09 a.m. nearly two miles north of West Canton.

Geographical experts say it was 2.9km in depth.

There were no reports of any damage.

North Carolina: Earthquake reported near Asheville, experts say (wyff4.com)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Smokey Mtn. Dinar said:

We had ANOTHER earthquake this morning! (Sunday June 4th) .  This was the worst one yet! It was a 3.2.😮     I heard it.  My husband both felt it and heard it!  It was around 6:09 this morning.  

WEST CANTON, N.C. —

A 3.2 magnitude earthquake was reported near Asheville, North Carolina early Sunday morning, according to the United States Geological Survey.

It happened around 6:09 a.m. nearly two miles north of West Canton.

Geographical experts say it was 2.9km in depth.

There were no reports of any damage.

North Carolina: Earthquake reported near Asheville, experts say (wyff4.com)

Hope and Pray all is well!!👍🏻🇺🇸

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Being from Ca. I can appreciate your position. 5.0 and below quakes were not even worth commenting on. 

5.0 and above quakes were almost worth getting excited about. I have been through a few 7.0+ that were a bit alarming.

Felt a small one here in Idaho 3.5 that had the natives a bit alarmed but I assured them it was o.k.

We were all at the house and when it hit the refugees from Ca just sat there and the Idahoans panicked and did not have a clue as to what to do. They got the hint when they saw us being calm and riding it out. Life goes on. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, nstoolman1 said:

Being from Ca. I can appreciate your position. 5.0 and below quakes were not even worth commenting on. 

5.0 and above quakes were almost worth getting excited about. I have been through a few 7.0+ that were a bit alarming.

Felt a small one here in Idaho 3.5 that had the natives a bit alarmed but I assured them it was o.k.

We were all at the house and when it hit the refugees from Ca just sat there and the Idahoans panicked and did not have a clue as to what to do. They got the hint when they saw us being calm and riding it out. Life goes on. 

I have horrible PTSD from the Petaluma earthquake.  We had to break our way out of our apartment. Bad day for many. My advice is to get your ass outside ASAP if you hear one coming. Watch out for falling bricks and power lines. You don’t want to be inside unless you’re stuck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have learned that there was a second quake on Sunday. Not sure how strong it was, or what time of day.   

I was checking the US Geological site this morning and found that we had one this morning! 😮  I didn't feel it. They said it was a 2.5!   

We are all starting to wonder if this could be building up to a big one! 😮 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Pow! 1

Donny Gene Price

Do

7 earthquakes — so far — since May 23 have shaken Canton

54515a6f-6391-4b66-925b-7475e62a7724-IMGIris Seaton
Asheville Citizen Times

The Canton community gathers for the final shift bell as the paper mill closes only a day after the first quake was recorded.

CANTON - Unexpected events have been befalling Canton lately.

First, the town's storied paper mill announced in March it would be closing after 115 years of operation, and the final bell sounded May 24.

On top of that, there has been a surprising chain of earthquakes shaking the town.

As of June 6, The United States Geological Survey has recorded seven separate quakes beneath the town since May 23. The quakes have not caused infrastructure damage. The most intense was on June2, registering 3.2 on the Richter scale, far outranking anything most Canton residents could  define as normal.

“I'm aware we can have earthquakes,” Canton Mayor Zeb Smathers said. “I never remember a time we've had so many back-to-back.” 

The Canton quakes ranged from 1.8 to 3.2 in magnitude, and no damage was reported, but many residents indicated they felt the tremors. The USGS’s “Did You Feel It?” map, which records reports from people who notice tremors, tallied 733 responses for the June 2 quake that registered 3.2.

The USGS says earthquakes below 2.5 in magnitude are not generally noticeable without instruments. But most of the quakes drew responses from Canton residents.

Magnitudes and reporter resident responses of the recent Canton earthquakes:

• May 23, 7:28 p.m. — 2.8 on the Richter scale, 162 "Did You Feel It?" responses.
  • May 25, 6:16 p.m. — 2.2, 0 responses.
  • May 25, 6:27 p.m. — 2.4, 16 responses.
  • May 25, 11:19 p.m. — 1.8, 0 responses.
  • June 4, 6:09 a.m. — 3.2, 733 responses.
  • June 4, 4:35 p.m. — 2.2, 3 responses.
  • June 6, 12:08 a.m. — 2.5, 19 responses.

Smathers, who was already monitoring the devastating closure of the paper mill and accompanying layoffs numbering over 1,100 residents, posted on Twitter pledging to seek further information on the phenomenon. 

“After a continued pattern of earthquakes that are increasing in magnitude, I will be asking DEQ and the NC Geological Society for an analysis of what is happening now and what we may expect,” Smathers wrote. 

U.S.G.S map of Canton earthquakes.

Smathers spoke June 5 to the Citizen Times about his findings so far. He said he has spoken to his board, county commissioners and Elizabeth Biser, secretary of the Department of Environmental Quality, in his search for answers. 

“They're looking at all angles They're gathering information," he said. "I'm not losing sleep necessarily over this, but I want to understand it. I want to explain.” 

Due to the changes that can be expected to the Canton environment following the mill shutdown, Smathers was already in contact with the DEQ and said they have been very helpful to the town’s cause so far. 

“The DEQ and Secretary Biser have been wonderful to work with so far on all angles,” Smathers said. “I don't think any of us thought we would be dealing with the earthquake side of things, but they have responded as quickly and efficiently as they have anything to do with the mill. So I do appreciate that.” 

Although this recent phenomenon might seem alarming at first glance, Smathers said that the impact from the mill closure and accompanying huge volume of layoffs has kept his residents from excess alarm. 

“We'll turn to the experts, we’ll listen — again, the more information, the better, and I know everyone's looking at all sorts of variables — and when there is something that's definite then obviously we will release it to the public, to the press because they want to know too,” Smathers said. “We’ve got nothing against Mother Earth, but we've got some bigger fish to fry.”

nny Gene PriceFebruary 1, 1953  -  May 27, 2023

February 1, 1953  -  May 27, 2023
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 10:00 PM, nstoolman1 said:

After the service I wound up in Huntington Beach, CA. and promptly got addicted to surfing, even taking a swing-shift job just to be able to ride morning surf.

Think the worst one was the Fullerton 7.4.

It was part of a series over around a year of activity.

Only remember that one because I was combing my hair,( actually had some then), and watched the mirror start bending in "waves".

Usually if I did wake up during one, I'd just go back to sleep.

Had already learned to NEVER wake up the girlfriend for one.

• Upvote 3